+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Multi-Mob warrior tanking?

Multi-Mob warrior tanking?

Boss fights are no issue and even 2 mobs are ok but when it gets to 3 mobs I have a very tough time holding all the aggro. Can you fellow warrior tankers help me out and share how you deal with multi mob pulls.

The guides are that way... *points* Please read up first before you post!

Thunderclap on every cooldown. Shockwave on every cooldown. Cleave every swing you can possibly spare the rage for. Hope your dps aren't functionally retarded.

Also, go read the guides.

Deep wounds can help if you dont got it. If your looking to get everything you can try popping shield block a few seconds after your first shockwave to increase damage shield damage. With huge groups just randomly tabbing can save some time, even if some dont get single target threat, cus theres no way your gonna hit em all with gcds before dps pulls. Me personally I dont find that much difficulty ae tanking over dps if there smart but other tanks always do more i usually end up tanking one mob. If your really having trouble ask for 6 secs before dps for 2 tcs, makes a huge difference at that point they can go all out).

Yeah i'm gonna have to say chances are the aoe tanking has seemed diminished because most tanks aren't spec'd 15/5/51 anymore and are going for more survival specs like 5/10/56. The loss of both Deep Wounds and Impale greatly hurts our AOE abilities because Tclap/Shockwave/cleave can all crit and leave deep wounds on our targets.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I find if your DPS are really Gung-Ho you'll need to remind them to count "one one thousand, two one thousand three one thousand." before unloading. That should give you enough time to Charge, TC, SW, and then Start your rotation. Also try to hit one with Shield slam and another with Concusion Blow since they are your two highest threat moves. Then it's just TC, SW, Cleave when off Cooldown. If one pulls off use taunt + heroic throw to get him back and follow up with a Shield Slam or Cuncussion Blow.

Other than that you should be good.

Somebody mentioned strafing with Shockwave as a way to get more oomph out of it...

S

I use a 15/3/53 spec for my Warrior and i can tank up to 4 mobs with effort. The basic Tclap, Shockwave for initial grab then followed by Shield Block(for damage shield effects) and the basic rotation works up to a point for multi-mobbing. I find Cleave to be very rage consuming so i do not use it as often.

Instead, I pop berserker rage for increased rage when getting hit... Charge, Tclap, Shockwave... Shield slam main target... Tab and Use heroic strike along with basic rotation... I would get one heroic strike and one CD rotation before tabbing again. Stopping tab on main target to see if you need to deal more threat or not... then continue tabbing, Tclapping and shockwave respectively.

Pop shield block when berserker rage wears off... pop berserker rage again when its out of CD.

Just to let you know, multi-mobbing as Warr is much difficult compared to Pally and DKs. So dont be discouraged when your DPS decides to DPS right off the bat like idiots... Threat management is part of the game... for Dps and Tanks. Thats why we have addons like Omen and Recount.

Mark the first and secondary targets, and you'll be able to stay ahead with ease. Most of the time when people pull it off me they've tabbed onto another mob and thus deserve to die, or at least a good scare. Taunt when it gets close to them.

All very good suggestions. I have 2 different sets of gear that I use on trash. One is a raw threat set. hit capped, expertise capped, defense as close to 535 as I can swing it and the rest is DPS gear. I have had shockwaves crit as high at 6k and I've rarely had a pala or dk steal aggro from me unless they were single targetting. Cleave spam is king, you should be drowning in rage.

The other gear set is the unhittable set. Useful for larger pulls so that it amplifies the effect of all that block. Granted there is nothing that will save a lock when they got 3 seeds in before your 1st shockwave. Our rule on aoe is two thunderclaps and then go to town (consecrate pulses are too hard to see and TC has audio too)

In addition to tab-spreading Devastates around and using Cleave for multiple mobs, you may find you in the company of ranged mobs outside melee range. That is, beyond the one you pulled with Heroic Throw/Gag Order.

I tend to ignore those at first - if you have their attention and enough hp, they are free rage. If they are casters and the rest of the party is close, Improved Spell Reflect can work wonders as 2/2 points in it protects up to for other peeps within 20'.

When you have comfortable threat on the first group of mobs, charge the ranged and bundle them up with the other mobs for some TC/SW treatment. I usually leave the first target halfway through, to start building aggro on the next, and so on.

S

I'm using the 15/5/51 deep wounds build, surviving just fine, and getting good AoE.

I don't get mileage out of devastate, but I do out of shield slam, revenge, and heroic strike. TC and Shockwave on most c/d's is generally enough. Mark skull, and make sure your DPS stick to it. Several of my skills will put a skull on whatever they're used on.

You can even put Vigilance on your top healer or top AoE DPS if you want a slight AoE threat boost. Its trivial, but if you're on a margin, it can help.

ok then I think with this info I am ready to go. I dont think I am useing cleave enough so I am going to up my use with the move and see how it goes.

In addition to spec'ing for Deep Wounds and using Shockwave and Thunderclap; a great way to help increase your multi-mob threat is to use the Glyph of Cleaving. By using this each Cleave will hit 3 targets rather than 2 (assuming they're in front of you in melee range!).
    I found it a massive help in the past.

I've recently dropped it in favour of more survival-based glyphs for progressing into the latter stages of Ulduar and definitely need to work much harder to keep aggro on 3 or more targets since losing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sysmon View Post
    Somebody mentioned strafing with Shockwave as a way to get more oomph out of it...

S

Yea mobs have habbit of drifting out of SW aoe some times so straffing or even just backing up a few steps will make sure they are all in front of you.

Sporr and Arkunsun hit the nail on the head, along with the fact you should have Deep Wounds for AE tanking.

Has been posted before-
    heroic throw
    mocking blow
    charge
    thunderclap
    cleave
    focus target macro with revenge

tab/mouse through targets watching omen.

you can do 4 -5 easily, more than that takes patience on the melee part to watch omen.

What I do is categorize the targets by kill order and set symbols accordingly,
    skull- caster
    X-caster or dps will use sheild slam to stop his casting and allow to grp up..
    box - dps
    moon - dps

I start my attacks in reverse order during which Im' using thunderclap, cleave, and demo shout.

process,
    set focus target to X ....macro /cast [target=focus] revenge
    target moon - heroic throw
    charge box
    hit X 1 time
    on skull, devastate/cleave while using thunderclap..etc.. if my X is another caster i often will use shield slam on my way to skull to grp them tight..

Once grped at least within range I use shockwave whenver it's up and work to keep them grped by strafing around the mobs never turning my back..

once I have 10K threat more than team, I start scrolling through the targets building threat on any mob omen shows the team close to. In addition I'll use mocking blow, taunt, heroic throw..etc on any mobs I lose (over aggressive team).

On a 5 pull it's the same except I use mocking blow on a target.

the grp has to work with you, your initial goal is to have enough threat to overcome healing, after that you want to keep above the party threat to kill mobs. With aoe the mage will usually help with frost nova, this helps keep mobs together so you can use AE threat.

practice, practice, practice,

imho (and this is probably a bit offtopic) any self-respecting MT123 should have dual specced tank specs. Whether its a DW/AoE spec, SV spec or even UA hybrid spec.
    I would personally go that way if I was a full-time tank. Unfortuntaly, I've had to take up the dps role

that said; with TC/Shockwaves/Cleaves and smart tab targetting (press V to bring up health bars and you might aswell just click target them tbh, assuming most of your skills are keybound - shieldslam target#1, revenge t#2, cleave t#?? etc) you can spread out a reasonably even amount of threat on all targets.
    I'm not sure what else to advise. AoE tanking always for me is a bit of 'feeling it' and using the proper aoe cds when mobs are in the proper spots aswell; no point shockwaving too soon and only hitting one of the 4-5 mobs.
    Hi lol! Turalyon: Asheowyn <Vision> - fury/tank Warrior // Anessa <Vision> - blood/frost tank DK

Mafia thungserclap smack down!

Thunderclap on every cooldown. Shockwave on every cooldown. Cleave every swing you can possibly spare the rage for. Hope your dps aren't functionally retarded.
    ClickMe - perfect advice man I made those punks running for there lives hahahaha

Mob Warrior - Free online gangster game, Mafia Game, Gangster Games, Gangster RPG, Free Multiplayer Online Game, Online RPG Game

i thunder clap shockwave demo shout and tabb out cleaves. on pulls of 5 or more i pop a nice little retaliation in battle stance then charge in

+ Reply to Thread