+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tank Identity (spec) crisis

Tank Identity (spec) crisis

Hi All,

Well to start off here's my armory. I'm open to all gear and spec critiques. I know I need a new helm and boots... I'm workin' on it

I currently switch between unholy for aoe tanking and blood for single target or boss tanking.

I kinda hit 80 and skipped right past really spending much time farming naxx and whatnot. My guild kicks ass. However, when I'm tanking bosses like, well lets just use Patchwork as an example. My TPS is anywhere from 4-6k in blood and a little less in unholy. I know I'm a bit under geared but I think I can do better.

I have a few questions.

1) Sigil of the Vengeful Heart dropped and thought it would be a good reason to try out frost. I leveled as frost and it was a very fun tree to be in. Is Vengeful Heart better than Awareness for a frost tank?

2) I need recommendations for a good frost spec for single target/boss fights. Unholy is my primary spec and I feel like I've got it pretty dialed in. AoE tanking is my strong suit and my primary function in guild raids.
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...&version=9658# is what I had in mind.... My only question is do I really need anihilation? if so where can I find those 3 points?

3) based on my gear/stats what should I be focusing on? Stam, Avoid, or hit/expertise?

it doesn't reflect in my armory but my dodge + parry is 46%. with hit food and at least one dranaei in the raid im hit capped, and my HP is at about 30k unbuffed.

HALP!

oh, and edit..... I'm working on guild progression in Ulduar right now. 10 man we've cleared, 25 man we just downed the dude with the fists. Usually i'm either OT, backup tank if one goes down, or on adds depending on the fight. I have 0 problems tanking pre-ulduar 10 mans and MOST 25 mans.
    Last edited by ODiE; 05-06-2009 at 11:34 AM.

Is that 30k hp as Blood with talents? If so thats somewhat low actually. I sit at about 35.7k unbuffed hp as Blood. Can we get an armory link, the one associated with your name does not seem to be working.

Frost is indeed a great Tree for tanking. It's fun, relatively fast and provides some nice talents for survivability.

Vengeful Heart is a great Sigil, and the comparison between it and Awareness is difficult. As a Frost Tank your Runic Dump will be Frost Strike, so you'll only truly utilize the Frost Strike part. In the same way, you'll only utilize the Obliterate side of Awareness. Personally, I would take Vengeful Heart - simply because you'll often be spamming FS a lot more than Obliterate and the damage bonus can equal some nice threat.

That Spec is fairly good, but as you say, Annhilation could be substitued. This would, however, alter your Rotation substantially. My suggestions would be to work some points into Icy Talons - the slowing of enemies attack speeds can do wonders for your health. If you have no issues with health, you might look at putting points into Epidemic for increased disease time. Note that Epidemic doesn't work well without Annhilation, as you'll be wasting the increased time when you Obliterate and remove the diseases.

You need to strike a balance between Stam, Avoidance and Hit/Expertise. I like to take Avoidance over Hit/Expertise so long as the loss doesn't majorly dent me. I don't have major issues with threat generation, so staying alive longer is a priority. Try to make Gems work with your gear - if you get something with Dodge and Defense that has sockets, Gem it with Hit or Expertise. In the same way, if something has Defense and Expertise, Gem it with dodge.

Judging by your Ulduar experience, it seems you have the hang of advanced DK tanking so I won't go into any of that.

I hope this has helped somehow, and good luck !
    It's always easier to just be nice.

What's best suited to swap out for annihilation... I like all those talents

sorry for the bad link

The World of Warcraft Armory

I'd recommend Icy Talons, so long as Icy Touch is a regular part of your rotation (which is should be). If you want to max out Icy Talons, I'd probably say take 2 points out of Acclimation to max out.

To take it further, you might consider moving the 2 points from Merciless Combat to Epidemic if you're alright for threat. I find Merciless Combat isn't a great talent for threat, as by the time mobs reach 35% health I've already gained a solid hold on them.

Here is what I'm proposing put into the talent calculator:
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...4&version=9658

hope this helps!
    It's always easier to just be nice.

+ Reply to Thread