+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 34 of 34

Thread: Healing Kologarn 25-man

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    558
    It's the healer's job to heal UNAVOIDABLE raid damage. My guess is that you are losing people and burning tons of mana to bad kiting, or no kiting, of the eye beams.

    We keep the doorway, and a strip 5 yards from the back wall clear of anyone, spreading the raid out across the room in a somewhat horizontal line. Anyone targeted for eye beams simply turns and runs towards the back wall, then towards and out the door untill the beam stops, being careful not to drag the beam through other people. If melee get targetted then the ranged that are behind them need to move out of the way, to give that person a clear path to the back wall.

    Does anyone post WWS or wowmeter reports for your raids?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3
    Its really a shame you dont have at least one resto shaman. A single resto shaman can negate the need for any other healers to heal people in grip. Chain heal will automaticly bounce between the three people in grip due to range and the "smart" aspect of the heal, i would suggest a bit of recruiting to find yourself a shaman. assign him to heal the grip people and spam chain heal for kolo and you cant go wrong.

  3. #23
    No we are not posting our raids on WWS, I'll look into setting that up. Maybe I'll pick up failbot as well (for my own information, not to call people out).

    The grips are not that much of an issue, a PoM will bounce between everyone in there and it is also a good way for me to stack my serendipity for the hasted PoH. Not having a consistent group of healers and kiting eyebeams seem to be the bigger issues. At this point I'll take any decently geared healer regardless of class, if you're in Duskwood and need a secure raiding spot lemme know LoL.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    42
    What we usually do is have 2 Priests on duty of healing up 4 groups after his Oblivion swipe thingie with a shaman healing up the last (melee) group - Which leaves 3-4 healers for the tanks. We had some problems with this fight aswell, but as long as you have a focused dedicated grip tank while people move out of the eyebeams there's no excuse for a death:
    -The next unavoidable raidwide damage is on the next swipe, which is plenty of time to heal the group up.

    -The gripped people have a dedicated healer (the shaman that heals up the melee group aswell) so they shouldn't die.

    -Standing in eyebeams is a bad idea if you want to survive.


    We actually got him down on our 3rd night ever in Ulduar, but after that we somehow managed to not kill him for 2 nights on the following reset - people just kept on dying for an unknown reason and I still don't know how they managed to =x



    Anyways, hope this helps a bit.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Amallthia View Post
    We almost never raid with a shammy....
    I am a little bias, so please forgive me. But, imho, a resto shammy would really do a lot for your raid make up that might help you get that exta umph you are going to need downing this boss, and those to follow. My guild has two resto shammys at all times, me being one of them. Earthshield on the MT and OT help tremendously, Heroism will speed up the DPS and healing for a good boost, and mata springs / mana tide totem would help healers prevent OOM. The other buffs they bring are very helpful as well, if they are specd right. Improved Strength of earth totem is better than the DK Horn of Winter and will increase overall melee DPS(If you have two, stack it with Stoneskin for increased armor), a Fire totem for increased SP for healing and Caster DPS boost, and a haste totem for your choice depending on which DPS type you are heavier than (or, again, both if you have two shammys) Once last thing, that is obvious but still earns a mention, is a chain heal! This is perfect to start with on MT or OT and hit the other melee in range, or just be responsible for a caster group. But this is a great AOE heal (which I know other classes have also)

    I am by no means saying that a shammy will make or break your raid group and be the answer to downing any particular boss. But the amount of buffs they bring, and Heroism/Bloodlust is a HUGE contribution to every raid member in your group and helps! Might want to try recruiting one...if they can put up with the verbal abuse

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2

    I feel the pain..

    I can tell you I feel your frustration at being the blame for wipes. We spent a two nights wiping on Kologarn ourselves.

    We at one point had 7 healers, and were still wiping ( I myself, a resto druid). That's what it took to get the dps to realize they need to be more aware of what's going on, and how to move quickly.

    Healers and tanks are going to be the first one's blamed for things, with the exception of hitting an enrage timer. Brush them off, and keep doing your job well.

    As for your guild, don't stick it out too long. If the management isn't getting better, or open to ideas, you're going to have major problems down the road.. if not now.

    As for gear, imo, too many people put importance on gear. Yes, it's important, but not a deciding factor. I was a PUG for my current guild when they first cleared 25 man Naxx, and topped the healing charts, wearing blues, with a holy pally in best in slot gear. It's about how well you know your class... unfortunately on Duskwood, there are a lack of people who really understand thier class.

    I too am on Duskwood, and would love to have the chance to recruit you... but you're Horde. XD

    Those are my two cents... enjoy, and good luck in the future!

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,753
    About the adds...

    Keep everyone apart from the tank who picks them up away from them. They spawn in a tight enough circle that a single AoE ability (thunderclap, death and decay, consecration) should be able to pick them up.
    Give the tank who picks them up five to ten seconds to get solid aggro, then have ranged AoE them down.

    The tank who picks up the rubbles should not be close enough to Kolo's main body for his AoE taunt to hit Kolo - if he is, then the adds will be doing massive damage to the raid, something you do not want.

    Here is why you want the rubbles far away from everyone.
    Stone Nova - Spell - World of Warcraft

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    27
    I was having similar problems with this fight until I made a minor and a few major changes. After that it was easy mode.

    First the minor change. All healers should be right next to Kolo's left arm pit, in melee range. You never see an eye beam.

    Next the major changes. I don't have the link but got to Ensidia's web site and read poptisses guide to holy priesting. It is specific to Uld and pretty much throws the traditional priest gearing and geming philophies out. I switched to her spec and gear format and wow.....huge difference. HUGE!
    -edit: here's the link Priest Holy - Part 1 - General - Ensidia

    I"m not a fan-boi but if she raid heals for the most succeful guild in the world, its worth seeing what she does. I have tweaked the spec a little to fit our progression style more (read: gave my self a little more survivability) but I kept the basic principles.
    These changes made all the difference for me in other boss fights too.
    Last edited by jackdhammer; 06-01-2009 at 12:57 PM. Reason: added related web link

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Malosipower View Post
    I am a little bias, so please forgive me. But, imho, a resto shammy would really do a lot for your raid make up that might help you get that exta umph you are going to need downing this boss, and those to follow.


    It is not that we chose not to raid with a shammy, we love the shammies! We just don't have many in the guild (maybe 2 ready to raid) and they aren't signing up =P

    Quote Originally Posted by Caylyyn View Post
    As for gear, imo, too many people put importance on gear. Yes, it's important, but not a deciding factor...... It's about how well you know your class... unfortunately on Duskwood, there are a lack of people who really understand thier class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caylyyn View Post

    I too am on Duskwood, and would love to have the chance to recruit you... but you're Horde. XD


    Agreed. Knowing your class well can make up for a lot of gear issues. However, if too many healers are under geared and skilled in the raid, there is only so much slack you can pick up
    Thanks for the offer, I have a lvl 21 priest on the side... But the BE are just too pretty for me to give up XD

    Quote Originally Posted by jackdhammer View Post
    First the minor change. All healers should be right next to Kolo's left arm pit, in melee range. You never see an eye beam.
    Quote Originally Posted by jackdhammer View Post

    Next the major changes. I don't have the link but got to Ensidia's web site and read poptisses guide to holy priesting. It is specific to Uld and pretty much throws the traditional priest gearing and geming philophies out. I switched to her spec and gear format and wow.....huge difference. HUGE!
    -edit: here's the link Priest Holy - Part 1 - General - Ensidia

    I"m not a fan-boi but if she raid heals for the most succeful guild in the world, its worth seeing what she does. I have tweaked the spec a little to fit our progression style more (read: gave my self a little more survivability) but I kept the basic principles.
    These changes made all the difference for me in other boss fights too.


    Interesting... Majority of us have learned how to avoid these beams and not kite them into others, but if it looks like there are a few people who just can't seem to grasp it maybe I'll suggest sticking them in the "pit" as punishment... LoL

    And I am all for learning from the best then making it your own. I'll check it out thanks

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Amallthia View Post
    Interesting... Majority of us have learned how to avoid these beams and not kite them into others, but if it looks like there are a few people who just can't seem to grasp it maybe I'll suggest sticking them in the "pit" as punishment... LoL
    No, we use it so we don't ever get targeted by a beam. We can just sit there and spam heals without worrying about anything.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by jackdhammer View Post
    I was having similar problems with this fight until I made a minor and a few major changes. After that it was easy mode.

    First the minor change. All healers should be right next to Kolo's left arm pit, in melee range. You never see an eye beam.
    Don't do this. He interrupts casters within melee range, so even though you don't get the eye beam, it severly cripples output.

    I'm guessing the interrupting was put there on purpose to stop ranged people from just bypassing the beams and standing in melee range.

    If you can't do something as simple as running out of the room when there's a huge blue line pointing towards you, then you really shouldn't be in the raid -.-


    And as for what Poptisse says, even though she is in Ensidia, her gear and spec has been questionable for a long time. For example, during TBC times, she recommended holy priests use the heal+mp5 gem because it supposedly offered more "balance" of regen, when at her gear level (which was Sunwell), the heal+spi gems would've offered more regen both in AND out of 5SR. Currently, I think her geming is just stacked up on regen with no thought for output. She also didn't have the OS10+3 achievement even though Ensidia had that on farm for ages, so I'm suspecting she isn't one of their first picks as healers either -.- so take her advice with a grain of salt.

    Put it this way: I have similar gear to hers, and I've got spellpower gems in all slots except for 1 orange hybrid gems for the socket bonus (which I'm thinking of getting rid of -.-). If she actually needs to gem everything with int at that gear level to heal, especially at the cost of output which is so important on hard modes, she's doing something wrong.


    Priests - Elitist Jerks is a better source of info, though armory the people, since there's plently of people who haven't much experience giving advice as well.
    Last edited by Cookie; 06-05-2009 at 01:12 PM.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Don't do this. He interrupts casters within melee range, so even though you don't get the eye beam, it severly cripples output.
    Never really noticed it but maybe I've been lucky. but thanks for the info. Maybe ill change tactics since interrupts equal deaths.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    If you can't do something as simple as running out of the room when there's a huge blue line pointing towards you, then you really shouldn't be in the raid -.-
    Dont recall saying that I couldn't avoid the laser and last time I checked being able to avoid ANYTHING that makes me stop healing to run is a good thing. Interrupts are bad I realize but like I said haven't noticed em.


    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    And as for what Poptisse says, even though she is in Ensidia, her gear and spec has been questionable for a long time. For example, during TBC times, she recommended holy priests use the heal+mp5 gem because it supposedly offered more "balance" of regen, when at her gear level (which was Sunwell), the heal+spi gems would've offered more regen both in AND out of 5SR. Currently, I think her geming is just stacked up on regen with no thought for output. She also didn't have the OS10+3 achievement even though Ensidia had that on farm for ages, so I'm suspecting she isn't one of their first picks as healers either -.- so take her advice with a grain of salt.
    Well, I couldn't tell you about anything before Uld and quite frankly I dont care about anything pre uld. What I do know is that she has the Ironbound Proto-Drake and is in the 25 man Algalon kill picture which quite frankly holds a little more credibility with me then you.

    But enough about people I dont even know.

    What I DO know is that when I switched from stacking spirit to stacking Int and Haste, healing in Uld in a progression guild has been lightyears better. I have more mana throughout the fight, I get heals off quicker and did I mention I have more mana throughout the fight? Even though I dont gem for SP or spirit my SP is around 2600 raid buffed (not counting totems) and I dont go OOM. If I go OOM we have expired the rage timer anyways.

    While I belive spec and to a certain extent gear come down to play style, trying to cling to outdated models is just bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Put it this way: I have similar gear to hers, and I've got spellpower gems in all slots except for 1 orange hybrid gems for the socket bonus (which I'm thinking of getting rid of -.-). If she actually needs to gem everything with int at that gear level to heal, especially at the cost of output which is so important on hard modes, she's doing something wrong.
    lol, wow. Dude, world first algalon kill.....what do you think they don't know about what is needed in hard modes?


    regardless, I was just trying to point someone to a good resource that helped me significantly when I was in a similar situation.


    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Priests - Elitist Jerks is a better source of info, though armory the people, since there's plently of people who haven't much experience giving advice as well.
    And for the record I wouldn't point a man dying of thirst to EJ if they had the last bottle of water in the world. He would be better off dying.
    All it took was about 15 minutes of reading posts on there to figure out its the last place I wanted to get info from.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Don't do this. He interrupts casters within melee range, so even though you don't get the eye beam, it severly cripples output.
    While this is true, the interrupts are much less of a big deal than having to kite eye beams through 15+ ranged.

    Have everyone but five ranged (we use four ranged + a healer) in melee range.

    Easy.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    393
    On Kolo my job is MT healing as Disc. I've found the best position to take is standing directly under the Left Arm. I've never had a spell interrupted in that position. Most of the DPS hang around the Right Arm to deal with adds, so it's unlikely anybody will bring an eye beam anywhere close to me. If I am targeted by an eye beam I throw Pain Sup on the MT to make up for my lost HPS while running around the edge of the platform (away from Kolo and the rest of the group). If I get grabbed, we have one of our raid healers assigned to step up heals on the MT.

    Divine Hymn is useful after a Shockwave, but I only do it if the tank is topped off with a PW:S active. Don't be afriad to "break" your DH channel to go back on the MT if needed. Also make sure you macro Inner Focus + Divine Hymn to save yourself 2k mana.

    Like most of the Ulduar fights, the damage coming at the MT is serious business. Do not worry about overhealing; spamming heals is your best tactic to prevent the insta-gibs that can happen at times in Ulduar. This is esspecially true for Disc Priests. Even if you do 100% overheal on a crit it will proc a DA bubble, and those bubbles stack up to 10k absorb.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts