+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 95

Thread: Holy Paladin Information

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    190

    Holy Paladin Information

    I have seen a lot of holy pally guides out there lately, and I feel that all of them have been lacking in information for a new paladin. So what I'm posting is not a guide, but rather some information that every holy paladin needs to know.

    Holy Paladin spells

    First, I will talk about your main healing spells:

    Holy Light: This spell costs 29% of your base mana, which at level 80 costs 1274 mana, has a 2.5 sec cast time before any modifiers, and at max rank, heals a friendly target for 4888 to 5444, before factoring in spellpower. The spellpower coefficient is 166.00%, before talents.

    Flash of Light: This spell costs 7% of your base mana, which at level 80 costs 307 mana, has a 1.5 sec cast time before any modifiers, and at max rank, heals a friendly target for 785 to 879, again, before factoring in any spellpower. The spellpower coefficient is 100.00%, before talents.

    Holy Shock: This spell costs 18% of your base mana, which at level 80 costs 790 mana, is an instant cast, and at max rank, blasts the target with Holy energy, causing 1296 to 1402 Holy damage to an enemy, or 2401 to 2599 healing to an ally, before factoring in any spellpower. This spell is affected by the Infusion of Light talent, "Your Holy Shock critical hits reduce the cast time of your next Flash of Light by 1.5 sec or Holy Light by 1 sec." The spellpower coefficient is 81.00% when it is used as a healing spell, 43.00% when it is used as a damaging spell, before talents.

    Lay on Hands
    : This spell is an instant cast spell with a 20 min cooldown. At max rank, heals a friendly target for an amount equal to the Paladin's maximum health and restores 1950 of their mana.

    Sacred Shield: This spell costs 12% of base mana, which at level 80 costs 527 mana, is an instant cast spell, and at max rank, "Each time the target takes damage they gain a Sacred Shield, absorbing 500 damage and increasing the paladin's chance to critically hit with Flash of Light by 50% for up to 6 sec. They cannot gain this effect more than once every 6 sec. Lasts 30 sec."

    I rarely see this particular tool mentioned by other holy paladins, which is a great shame, because this spell is actually very powerful. Sacred Shield will not only affect the crit chance of Flash of Light on the shield target, but the shield is affected by spellpower coefficients, from the testing done it is approximately (Your Spellpower) x coefficient of .75 plus the initial absorption value that it gives, which is 500 per tick. For example, if you have 2000 spellpower, 2000 x .75 = 1500, plus the base 500 that Sacred Shield absorbs, equals out to 2k damage that Sacred Shield can prevent at each tick on the target. At 6 possible ticks total throughout the 30 second duration of Sacred Shield, that works out to 12k damage that is prevented, and that can add up.

    Beacon of Light: This spell costs 35% of base mana, which at level 80 costs 1536 mana. “The target becomes a Beacon of Light to all targets within a 40 yard radius. Any heals you cast on those targets will also heal the Beacon for 100% of the amount healed.”

    Basically this spell makes it so that you can put the Beacon up on one target and heal another target, while those heals are still getting to the intended target. Keep in mind that if the target you are healing is at max health, the Beacon target will not receive the overheals. On fights like Patchwerk, this is a very useful spell to use, as you can cast the Beacon on one tank and heal another tank.

    Now, I'm not going to be someone to tell you that you are going to end up spamming this spell or that spell or what not, because every heal that you throw out is situational and depends on the fight, what other healers you have, who you are healing, and what sort of damage other people are taking. I believe that it is foolish to try to suggest that a paladin be a Holy Light or a Flash of Light spammer, because every fight is not going to be the same healing wise.

    However, I will say this about Lay on Hands: Lay on Hands is a situational heal. It is great for raid wipe prevention if it does happen to be used, but I have been seeing a lot of holy paladins using this spell as a way to restore either their mana or, even worse, someone else's mana. There are so many other methods that holy paladins have at their disposal so that they can regen mana that Lay on Hands should not be immediately considered as a mana restoration tool.

    Now, I'm going to mention other spells that paladins can use to assist in healing:

    Divine Illumination: This is an instant cast spell, reduces the mana cost of all spells by 50% for 15 sec. This is one of our great mana efficiency tools, it should ideally be put on cooldown during a boss fight, once every 3 minutes. For example, a standard holy paladin build chain casting Holy Light for 15 seconds will be able to cast the first Holy Light at 2.5 seconds, and then the rest at 2.0 seconds thanks to Light's Grace. That equals to 7 Holy Lights during that 15 second duration, 7 Holy Lights will use up 8918 mana. 50% of that not being used would equal a savings of 4459 mana. Using this example, it is equal to having 24.77 mana per 5.

    Divine Favor: This costs 3% of your base mana, which at level 80 is 131 mana, is an instant cast spell, and when activated, "gives your next Flash of Light, Holy Light, or Holy Shock spell a 100% critical effect chance." This spell has a 2 minute cooldown.

    A lot of Holy paladins will see this and typically want to use it and then Holy Shock so that they can get the instant cast Flash of Light, and this is a valid usage in some situations. However, a usage just as valid is to use Divine Favor and then cast a Holy Light. Why? Because of mana efficiency. Thanks to Illumination that all holy paladins should be talented for, you gain 60% of base mana cost back when one of your healing spells crit. Now, what would you rather have, 60% of 1274 mana that a Holy Light costs, or 60% of 790 mana that a Holy Shock costs? Keeping in mind that this Holy Light will also give additional healing through the splash healing that the Glyph of Holy Light offers, whereas the Holy Shock will have only healed one target for less than the Holy Light healed for. For mana efficiency, Divine Favor should always be used with Holy Light.

    The other way to look at Divine Favor is for a quicker burst heal without worrying about the mana efficiency. In this case, you would use Divine Favor, then Holy Shock, then Holy Light. This allows for a faster burst heal but with less healing potential than the previous combo.

    Avenging Wrath: This spell costs 8% of your base mana, which at level 80 is 351 mana, and has a 3 minute cooldown. "Increases all damage and healing caused by 20% for 20 sec. Cannot be used within 30 sec sec. of being the target of Divine Shield, Divine Protection, or Hand of Protection." When you are in need of some extra healing, this is the buff for you. This is great when used in combination of a Divine Plea, because it will negate 20% of the debuff that you get when you pop Divine Plea. This is also a great spell to use during an enrage period when you need to throw out big heals, for example, during Patchwerk. Being able to throw out 20k+ Holy Lights during that last 5% of Patchwerk is a life saver. Anytime that you need large burst heals, Avenging Wrath is your cooldown to burn.

    Divine Plea: “You gain 25% of your total mana over 15 sec, but the amount healed by your spells is reduced by 50%.” Effect cannot be dispelled. While this is not a direct healing spell, this is the best tool for Holy Paladins to use in order to prevent yourself from going oom. 25% of your total mana pool every minute makes it theoretically possible to stack enough intellect so that you can prevent yourself from going oom. This should be used on cooldown anytime you are below 25% total mana.

    Other spells not related to healing that a holy paladin should know and use:


    Divine Intervention: This spell has a 20 minute cooldown and is an instant cast spell. The paladin casts this on a target in order to prevent harm from coming to the player, sacrificing themselves at the same time. The player is then protected by a bubble for 3 minutes, completely immune from any enemies around the area but unable to act. This spell is great for wipe protection (of course provided that it is cast on the appropriate target, such as a rezzer of some kind), and also is nice for paladins as using this spell to sacrifice themselves means that when the paladin dies, they don't lose durability. Make sure that there is communication just prior to casting this spell on the intended target, so as to avoid any misunderstandings. This is not recommended for use on some bosses, due to an inability to reset those bosses or due to game bugs.


    Cleanse: This spell costs 6% of your base mana, which at level 80 is 263 mana. This is a very valuable spell for holy paladins, as it removes disease, poison, and magic effects from the target. The only effect that a paladin cannot remove are curses. The reason that this is so important for paladins to use is that it has the lowest mana cost of any of the other classes' dispells. For maximum use of this spell, I recommend downloading an addon called Decursive.


    Buffs and Auras

    First, a bit about the various auras that a paladin can have up (all of these at max rank):

    Devotion Aura: "Gives 1205 additional armor to party members within 30 yards."


    If you have a protection paladin in the group, chances are you won't be using this aura, because any protection protection worth their salt is going to have Improved Devotion Aura. Their Improved Devotion Aura not only gives an additional 50% armor bonus, but it also increases the amount healed on targets affected by this aura by 6%.

    Retribution Aura: "Causes 112 Holy damage to any enemy that strikes a party or raid member within 30 yards."


    If there is a retribution paladin in your group, chances are that you won't be using aura, again, because they'll most likely have Improved Retribution Aura. Otherwise, if there is not a retribution paladin, this will be one that you'll want to use, especially for tanks for who this ups the threat generation for a bit extra (of course, this also assumes that there's someone else for Devotion Aura)

    Concentration Aura: "All party or raid members within 30 yards lose 35% less casting or channeling time when damaged."


    I still see some Holy Paladins right now that have taken the talent Improved Concentration Aura. Now, things may change when Ulduar comes out, but right now, there really isn't a need for Improved Concentration Aura... or really, Concentration Aura at all. Because think of it this way: last expansion, the main boss that paladins threw this aura up for was Hex Lord, because he had the spirit bolts that did constant damage and that caused a lot of spell pushback. Now, name one boss in WoLK so far that does this same effect.... you can't, can you? That's because right now there isn't. And reducing the silencing or interrupt effects isn't that big of a bonus, because whatever mobs that can do silences usually have silences that only last for seconds, and those mobs are few and far between.

    Frost/Fire/Shadow Resistance Auras: These offer 130 resist against frost/fire/shadow spells.


    These should be used in fights with high concentrations of these types of damage. Note in some fights that this aura will supercede Devotion Aura in usefulness.

    Now onto the Blessings:

    Blessing of Kings: This buff gives an additional 10% to all stats.


    Every holy paladin should have 5 talents into the protection tree for this. I've seen other people suggest that holy paladins might not need this necessarily, because of the idea that a retribution paladin would have this, but this assumes that a retribution paladin will be in your group. Retribution paladins are still not out there in insane quantities, but holy paladins are, and all tanks will love a holy paladin that has this buff. And no, one cannot assume that a protection paladin will be casting this up on everyone either, because a protection paladin is going to be casting Blessing of Sanctuary on themselves and on all other tanks in the group, and they will appreciate someone else to cast Blessing of Kings on themselves just as any other tank would. It is planned in 3.1 for this ability to be given to all paladins regardless of spec.


    Blessing of Wisdom: This buff, at base effect, gives the target 91 mp5. When it is talented for, and it should be, it gives 109 mp5 to the target.


    This is a mandatory healing paladin buff. This is a buff to cast on all spellcasters, and sometimes even enhancement shamans and hunters. This buff supercedes all other buffs that a Holy Paladin has in usefulness for spellcasters.


    Blessing of Might: This buff, at base effect, gives the target an additional 550 attack power. When it is talented for, it gives a total of 687 attack power.


    A holy paladin might not usually be buffing this particular buff, especially if there is a retribution paladin or an arms or fury warrior with Improved Battle Shout.


    Now I will describe the Hand spells that a paladin will have at their disposal:


    Hand of Salvation: “Places a Hand on the party or raid member, reducing their total threat by 2% every 1 sec. for 10 sec.” This spell has a 2 minute cooldown.


    This is what you use to keep overzealous dps in line.


    Hand of Freedom: “Places a Hand on the friendly target, granting immunity to movement impairing effects for 10 sec.”


    Right now, not much of a use for this, as there aren't a lot of bosses that do movement impairing effects.


    Hand of Sacrifice: Places a Hand on the party member, transfering 30% damage taken to the caster. Lasts 12 sec. Has a 2 min cooldown.


    This can actually be useful on fights like Maexxna, where she does the web wrap, or on Anub'Rekan, during the Insect Swarm. How? Place Hand of Sacrifice on the tank, and then keep Beacon of Light on yourself, so that you can heal the tank and heal yourself at the same time.


    Hand of Protection: A targeted party member is protected from all physical attacks for 10 sec, but during that time they cannot attack or use physical abilities.


    This is useful to protect a caster who is getting hit for a lot of physical damage, because they will be protected and still be able to cast their spells.


    Judgments


    Next I will talk about judgments. All of the seals take up 14% of base mana when cast, which at level 80 equals out to 614 mana; all judgments take up 5% of base mana cost, which at level 80 will equal out to 219 mana. Each seal will last for 30 minutes on a paladin, and can not be dispelled..


    Seal of Wisdom: Fills the Paladin with divine wisdom for 2 min, giving each melee attack a chance to restore 4% of the paladin's maximum mana. Unleashing this Seal's energy will deal 1.41 Holy damage to an enemy.


    This is a seal that Holy Paladins should keep up on themselves always. This is one of the best mana restoration tools that a Holy Paladin has at their disposal, because to be able to go up and beat on the mob from behind in order to get a chance on hit to regain 4% of maximum mana is quick and easy. For example, say you have a maximum mana pool of 18k mana. 18K mana x .04 from chance on hit equals 720 mana that you have a chance to regain.


    Judgment of Wisdom: Unleashing Judgment of Wisdom will give each attack a chance to restore 2% of the attacker's base mana.


    You can get a bit more mana back by judging the mob with Judgment of the Wise and then hitting the mob; however, a lot of times if you have a protection paladin in the group they end up judging the mob with this more often than not.


    Seal of Light: Fills the Paladin with divine light for 2 min, giving each melee attack a chance to heal the Paladin for 0.3. Unleashing this Seal's energy will deal 1.41 Holy damage to an enemy.


    Some holy paladins will keep this seal up on themselves due to the Seal of Light glyph, but due to the bigger benefits of mana regeneration from Seal of Wisdom, this seal will take 2nd place.


    Judgment of Light: Unleashing Judgment of Light will grant attacks made against the judged enemy a chance of healing the attacker for 0.2.


    Judging this particular seal on a mob is very powerful when it comes to helping your healing, because typically a melee hit will cause roughly 300-500 healing to be done to the target, and that little bit can help when it comes to healing a melee group. If you have a prot or a ret paladin in the group, they should ideally be the ones who judges this. The reason why is because Judgment of Light scales better with whoever has the higher spellpower or attack power, and a prot or ret paladin is going to have more attack power than you have spellpower.


    Seal of Righteousness: Fills the Paladin with holy spirit for 2 min, granting each melee attack [MWS {base weapon speed) * 0.066] additional Holy damage. Unleashing this Seal's energy will cause 1.52 Holy damage to an enemy.


    This is something that is more for soloing than for raiding for a holy paladin, you should be keeping up Seal of Wisdom.


    The three other seals that are available as a paladin, plus Judgment of Justice, I'm not going to discuss in this post, because those are not seals that a holy paladin should be using anyway.


    Glyphs


    For glyphs, there are 3 major glyphs that every holy paladin should have:


    Glyph of Holy Light: Your Holy Light grants 10% of its heal amount to up to 5 friendly targets within 8 yards of the initial heal.


    The splash healing that you get from this glyph is insane, and the splash heals have a separate chance to crit. This is very helpful when healing a melee group since they do tend to bunch up together. One thing to note is that it works only off of effective heals, it does not work off of heals from overheals.


    Glyph of Flash of Light: Your Flash of Light has an additional 5% critical strike chance.


    This is a 5% increase crit strike chance to your Flash of Light spell, making it more mana efficient.


    Glyph of Seal of Wisdom: When Seal of Wisdom is active, the cost of your healing spells is reduced by 5%.


    This is the reason why Seal of Wisdom should always be kept up, not only because of the chance to hit a mob and regain 4% of your mana, but because of the mana efficiency that you gain by having your healing spells cost 5% less. For example, Holy Light costs 1274 mana, and with 5% reduction of mana cost, it will be reduced to 1211 mana that it costs to cast Holy Light.


    The Glyph of Seal of Wisdom will also scale better with your talents than the Glyph of Seal of Light, due to the fact that once you get the 4 piece T7 bonus and the libram from badges, you will gain even more mana efficiency when casting Holy Light. This will average out to an 8.7% reduction of your Holy Light mana costs.


    Now, one thing to note is that some paladins are going for the Seal of Light glyph, which when Seal of Light is active, the effect of your healing spells is increased by 5%. The problem with this glyph is due to the fact that oftentimes, paladins are already doing a lot of overhealing. 5% more healing to your spells is usually going to end up as 5% more in overhealing. And with the changes coming up in 3.1 to mana regen, shaving 5% off of your healing spells is going to be more valuable than getting that little bit of extra healing off.

    UPDATE: There's been a lot of posting done in this thread about Glyph of Divinity + Glyph of Lay on Hands and why it is good for getting some quick mana back in a pinch, so I would like to take this opportunity as to why having the Glyphs of Holy Light, Flash of Light, and Seal of Wisdom are superior for mana regen in the long run over speccing 2 talent points for Improved Lay on Hands, having a major and a minor glyph for that burst mana regen, courtesy of myself and Lizana's math:

    The problem with the Major Glyph [of Divinity] is that it would mean you would not be able to get either the Glyph of Holy Light, the Glyph of Flash of Light, or the Glyph of Seal of Wisdom, and the Glyph of Seal of Wisdom is better long term as a mana regeneration tool when you properly use it than the Glyph of Lay on Hands. Basically, what I mean is that if you have Seal of Wisdom up and you're able to hit the mob to regen some mana, you shouldn't get to a point where you're in dire need of mana, thus having a need to pop Lay on Hands as a mana regen tool.

    And even if you aren't going up in order to hit the mob a few times, having the Glyph of Seal of Wisdom is still more mana efficient, and here's why. Let's take Flash of Light. You could, through a one min time period, cast 40 FoL. Let's say that you're spamming FoL and you're only doing 25/min. Over the same 16 min time period that you would have with 2 talent points spent to improve Lay on Hands, using the Glyph of Seal of Wisdom, you would save 6000 mana (307 base cost of FoL x 5% mana saved = 15 mana per cast x 25 casts per minute x 16 min time period= 6000 mana saved). Now, if you used Holy Light in that same example, let's say you only used 15 Holy Lights in a minute. You would save 15120 mana (1274 base cost of Holy Light x 5% mana saved = 63 mana per cast x 15 casts per minute x 16 min time period = 15120 mana saved).

    There is no real comparison between the two for mana regen, for Lay on Hands it requires 2 talent points to improve it, a major and a minor glyph for less mana returned over the same time period.
    Heres some basic math useing a pally with Zero spellpower and max rank of holy light, assuming no crits, 10 holy lights a min for the same 16 min cooldown.

    10% of max rank holy light heal is 544,

    544 heal x 5 people splash healing x 10 casts a min x 16 min = 435200 extra healing done.

    Now your going to say well what about overheals, what about if theres not 5 people in range, blah blah blah, So lets say that only 1/4 of the heals from the splash healing actually hit people that need it. You still end up with 108800 splash healing done. Now lets loot at at that healing in terms of the holy lights, 108800 / 5444 the base healing of holy light that we used = 19.99 holy lights worth of healing done for ZERO extra mana cost and zero mana cost. And also if you consider the mana back from Lay of hands, 5k wow thats a lot of mana as a burst back. But consider instead holy light glyph just saved you 20 casts of holy light over the same time period as the cooldown. 20 casts x 1274 = 25480. Wow 5x the mana saved than your oh crap button every 16 min. Keep in mind these numbers are without spell power and without crit figured in and with just 10 casts per min. The more spellpower and crit you would have the more overall healing increase you would have, and the more you spam holy light the more mana that would be saved. Even if you look at a lower % of heals landed and not being overheals, its still very strongly shows that Glyph of holy light, as long as its hitting 1-2 targets some of the time will save more mana in the long than keeping LOH on cool down.

    For minor glyphs there isn't as much of a point, since all of them add minimal benefits, so the choice is really up to you as to what minors you go for.


    Important Stats




    Here are some important stats for a Holy Paladin:


    Intellect: The more intellect you have, the larger your mana pool. 1 point of intellect=10 mana points, however, with points in Divine Intellect, that goes up to 17.25 mana, without kings. Intellect will also affect your spellpower, thanks to points in Holy Guidance, where you increase your spellpower by 20% of your intellect. It will also affect your crit chance, where 1% crit will equal to 166 intellect.


    Spellpower: The more spellpower you have, the bigger your healing spells. To figure out how much spellpower will increase each one of your heals (Your spellpower) x (spell coefficient) + base heal amount = amount you heal for.


    Spell Crit: Right now spell crit is a very valuable stat, not only to boost overall healing, but because it offers mana regeneration thanks to Illumination, where a healing spell crit will result in you gaining back 60% of the base mana cost back. It takes 45.91 crit strike rating to equal 1% crit. However, with the changes to mana regen in 3.1, it is yet to seen as to how a paladin will want to gear.


    Mp5: This affects how much mana you regain every 5 seconds while in combat. Right now this is not as valuable as spell crit, but this may change once patch 3.1 hits.


    Haste: This stat determines how fast your spells are cast, and this also affects your Global Cooldown. 10% Spell Haste does not mean your spells cast 10% faster, rather it means in a given time period you will cast 10% more spells. You take haste as it comes along, there's no need to actively go out of your way to gem for haste.


    Gemming


    There isn't too much that I will really say about gemming, because it is largely a personal choice. I will make just a couple of recommendations:


    Don't go out of your way to gem for +haste, because it will come naturally from your gear as you progress.


    A meta that every healer should have is the Insightful Earthseige Diamond, which gives 21 intellect and chance to restore mana on spellcast. This is a very valuable mana restoration gem for any healer, as shown by this formula: (30 spells/minute * 5% proc chance * 600 mana per proc) / 12 5-second slices per minute = 75 mp5

    (30 * 0.05 * 600) / 12 = 75

    Enchants

    There are some enchants out there that are very nice for holy paladins. It is in the end a personal choice, but here are some options to consider:


    Head enchant: I would take Arcanum of Burning Mysteries - Item - World of Warcraft that you can get from Revered with Kirin Tor over the spellpower/mp5 one that is offered by Revered with Wyrmrest Accord, even when the patch hits, because of the increased mana regeneration from crit.


    Shoulder enchant: From Sons of Hodir rep, I would go for Lesser Inscription of the Storm - Item - World of Warcraft which you can get at Honored, or the Exalted version, Greater Inscription of the Storm - Item - World of Warcraft over the spellpower/mp5 ones, for the same reason as the head enchant.


    Back enchant: There aren't too many options for back enchants for holy paladins, but I'd go for the 23 to haste for the back enchant. Unless you happen to be a holy paladin and a tailor, then you have the option for Darkglow Embroidery - Spell - World of Warcraft .


    Chest enchant: Again, not a lot of options, you mainly get a choice of 8 mp5 or +8/10 to all stats enchant. Either one of those 3 would work, again, it's a matter of personal choice.


    Bracer enchant: You can go for 23 to spellpower, the more expensive 30 to spellpower one, +16 intellect enchant, or the +6 to stats enchant. I would typically tend to go for the spellpower enchant to bracers.


    Glove enchant: The only one to really bother with is the 28 spellpower to gloves enchant, it offers more benefits for holy paladins and it is relatively inexpensive.


    Belt: No actual enchants for belt (unless you're an engineer, but those aren't very helpful to holy paladins), but you can get an eternal belt buckle so that you can get an extra gem slot.


    Pants enchant: These enchants come from tailors. You can get the Azure/Sapphire Spellthread for 35 spellpower/12 stamina or 50 spellpower/30 stamina, or you can get the Shining/Brilliant Spellthread for 35 spellpower/12 spirit or 50 spellpower/30 spirit. I would go for the Azure/Sapphire Spellthread enchants, because spirit is not a useful stat for paladins.


    Boot enchant: There's Icewalker, which offers 12 crit/12 hit rating, or there's Greater Vitality, which has 6 mp5/6 hp5. I'd go for the Greater Vitality enchant myself, but again, personal choice.


    Shield enchant: The only one to go for is 25 int to shield, no way around that.


    Weapon enchant: If you have the money and a really really good weapon, then the +63 spellpower enchant would be great. If you have a subpar weapon or you feel you're going to get an upgrade soon, go for the 50 spellpower to weapon enchant.


    Specs


    I will link two different specs for a holy paladin to use in a raid situation, one with Kings and one without Kings.


    This is the build with Kings: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

    This is the build without Kings: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft


    For the build without Kings, I have left 2 points so that you can choose where you would want to place those last two points, it is up to you as to what you would do with them.


    Addons


    When it comes to addons for holy paladins to use, there are a few that can truly make the job easier. I will list the ones that I personally use:


    Decursive: I am not ashamed to admit that this is the one addon that I would be lost without. This addon is your one stop click access to removing all of those harmful little effects that tend to annoy your party. Instead of having to click on your target and then click on the spell to remove the effect, you get a series of boxes on your screen that correspond to your party members. Click a button, and like that, the spell is cast and effect is removed. This is great for all healing classes, and even classes that don't heal but can still remove poisons, diseases, magic effects, or curses, such as mages. There is very little setup to Decursive other than positioning the boxes as they best suit your playing needs.


    Visual Heal: Visual Heal is a nice little addon that allows you to visually see how much your heal is going to heal your intended target for. You can also see other incoming heals for your target, so you know if someone else is going to get the heal off that fully heals your target before your heal finishes. This can help somewhat in preventing some of the overheals that paladin healers tend to do. Again, not a lot of setup is needed with this particular addon.


    Grid + Clique: Now, to note, you don't need Grid in order to use Clique; I personally like the combination because it opens up my screen somewhat, whereas my previous method was to pull out the raid frames for each class. Grid is the visual interface; Clique is the bread and butter for healing.


    Clique allows you to set it up so that you can click cast on any number of unit frames that you may have up. When Clique is installed, you go into your spellbook and there will be a new tab for Clique. You open that up, and then from there assign your most popular healing and healing related spells to mouse clicks, or if you use quite a number of them, as I do, a combination of Shift + mouse click, or Ctrl + mouse click, and so on, depending on what's more comfortable for you. Once Clique is set up, you will find that a lot of valuable toolbar spaces are left open, because setting a healing spell to click means you don't really need that spell on your toolbar anymore (although this can change depending on the fight-- I still have a toolbar set up for when I have to heal NPCs such as during the Instructor Raz fight).


    Grid is the visual interface. Each person in your group/raid is represented by a color box when you first start it up, with the colors corresponding to the standard colors Blizzard has assigned for each class. You can set up Grid so that it will show you when someone is low on HP, for instance, or if they have a particular buff up. With this interface you can just click on the button associated with the person you wish to heal, and with the setup you have in Clique, your spell is cast. No more having to target the person and then heal; this makes it so that I can keep my target as the boss and keep a judgment up, so that I can keep my haste buff on myself.


    A couple things to note about Grid + Clique: There is an option within Grid + Clique in order to set it up to also act as Decursive, I personally have not liked this option as much, so I stick with Decursive. I also have Visual Heal because one downfall I have noticed with Grid + Clique is that it doesn't show incoming heals or hots on your healing target. Despite some of these shortcomings, I still prefer using Grid + Clique above all.


    In the future I will post how I have set up my Grid + Clique, complete with screenshots, as well as screenshots of the other addons that I use.


    Current 3.1 Patch Notes


    Some new information has emerged that is of importance to holy paladins:


    • Auras will now persist through death.
    • Blessing of Kings is now trainable at level 20. Removed from talent trees.
    • New Talent Divinity:Tier 1 protection talent, increases healing done by and to you by 1/2/3/4/5%
    • Glyph of Holy Light: Can no longer crit and has had its range updated.

    Undocumented Talent Changes in Current PTR

    • Exorcism can now be used on all targets, but is now a guaranteed critical strike vs Undead and Demon type mobs.
    • Judgement of Light now procs off spells as well. (Previously only "attacks" would trigger this)
    • Purifying Power (Tier 6) now reduces the cooldown of your Exorcism and Holy Wrath spells by 17/33%. (Previously increased the critical strike chance of those spells by 10/20%)
    • Pure of Heart (Tier 5) now reduces Curse, Poison, and Disease effects by 15/30%. (Previously was 25/50% but did not include poisons)
    • Blessed Hands: Now reduces mana cost of Hand of Freedom, Sacrifice and Salvation by 15/30%, and improves the effectiveness of Hand of Salvation by 50/100% and Hand of Sacrifice by an additional 5/10%. Moved to tier-4.
    • Pure of Heart: Now reduces duration of all curse, disease, and poison effects by 15/30%.
    • Purifying Power: Now reduces the cooldowns of Exorcism and Holy Wrath by 17/33% instead of increasing critical strike chance.
    • Improved Concentration Aura's (Tier 4) reduced silence/interrupt effect now works while any aura is active
    • All paladins auras had their range extended from 30 yards to 40 yards.
    • Sacred Shield now cannot be on more than one target at any one time.
    • Infusion of Light no longer has a chance to reduce the casting time of Holy Light, but increases the the critical chance of your next Holy Light by 10/20% instead.
    • Hand of Sacrifice now lasts 12 sec or until the caster has transfered 100% of their maximum health.
    • Targets affected by Divine Shield, Hand of Protection, or Divine Protectioncan no longer be affected by any of these spell for 2 minutes. (Down from 3 minutes).
    • Spiritual Attunement: Removed from trainers. It is now available deep in the Protection tree for 2 ranks at 5/10%.
    • Judgements of the Pure was moved from Tier 10 to Tier 9.
    • Sacred Cleansing was moved from Tier 9 to Tier 8.
    • Enlightened Judgements was moved from Tier 9 to Tier 10.
    • Infusion of Light was moved from Tier 8 to Tier 10.
    • Aura Mastery now causes your Concentration Aura to make all affected targets immune to Silence and Interrupt effects and improve the effect of all other auras by 100%.
    Holy

    Undocumented Glyph Changes in Current PTR

    • Glyph of Exorcism -- Increases damage done by Exorcism by 20%. (Old: Your Exorcism also interrupts spellcasting for 2 sec.)
    • Glyph of Divinity -- Your Lay on Hands grants twice as much mana as normal and also grants you as much mana as it grants your target. (Old: Your Lay on Hands also grants you as much mana as it grants your target.)
    • Glyph of Lay on Hands -- Reduces the cooldown of your Lay on Hands spell by 5 min.(Old: Increases the mana restored by your Lay on Hands spell by 20%)
    • Glyph of Beacon of Light *new* -- Increases the duration of Beacon of Light by 30 sec.
    • Glyph of Divine Plea *new* -- While Divine Plea is active, you take 3% reduced damage from all sources.
    • Glyph of Holy Shock *new* -- Reduces the cooldown of Holy Shock by 1 sec.
    • Glyph of Hand of Salvation *new* -- When you cast Hand of Salvation on yourself, it also reduces damage taken by 20%.

    Tier 8 Set Bonuses for Holy Paladins

    • Paladin T8 Holy 2P Bonus -- Your Holy Shock critical heals now also place a periodic healing effect on the target, healing for 15% of the Holy Shock's heal amount over 9 sec.
    • Paladin T8 Holy 4P Bonus -- Increases the damage absorbed by your Sacred Shield by 10%.

    Last edited by qygibo; 03-19-2009 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Updating for 3.1 PTR changes

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    120
    Nice work, thank you!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    289
    one thing I would like to add is that while it is true that Lay on Hands should not be a primary method of mana restoration, using both the Major and the Minor glyphs for it is a very good idea, as in a pinch, it is approximately 5000 mana back instantly, on a 16 minute cooldown. not something you can rely on, but it would definitely be something I would miss if I did not have it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    190
    The problem with the Major Glyph is that it would mean you would not be able to get either the Glyph of Holy Light, the Glyph of Flash of Light, or the Glyph of Seal of Wisdom, and the Glyph of Seal of Wisdom is better long term as a mana regeneration tool when you properly use it than the Glyph of Lay on Hands. Basically, what I mean is that if you have Seal of Wisdom up and you're able to hit the mob to regen some mana, you shouldn't get to a point where you're in dire need of mana, thus having a need to pop Lay on Hands as a mana regen tool.

    And even if you aren't going up in order to hit the mob a few times, having the Glyph of Seal of Wisdom is still more mana efficient, and here's why. Let's take Flash of Light. You could, through a one min time period, cast 40 FoL. Let's say that you're spamming FoL and you're only doing 25/min. Over the same 16 min time period that you would have with 2 talent points spent to improve Lay on Hands, using the Glyph of Seal of Wisdom, you would save 6000 mana (307 base cost of FoL x 5% mana saved = 15 mana per cast x 25 casts per minute x 16 min time period= 6000 mana saved). Now, if you used Holy Light in that same example, let's say you only used 15 Holy Lights in a minute. You would save 15120 mana (1274 base cost of Holy Light x 5% mana saved = 63 mana per cast x 15 casts per minute x 16 min time period = 15120 mana saved).

    There is no real comparison between the two for mana regen, for Lay on Hands it requires 2 talent points to improve it, a major and a minor glyph for less mana returned over the same time period.
    Last edited by qygibo; 02-11-2009 at 02:22 AM. Reason: had to add in the math

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2
    Good guide Qygibo, Holy Paladins do need a little more insight when stuff gets technical which I believe you shed some light on. However there was a few things i'd like to suggest or comment on. One being, the ration of intellect:mana isn't actually 1:10 (1 point of intellect converting to 10 mana points) It's something more close to [1 intellect = 17.4 mana] So i'd say this is a little more worth stacking than readers may have originally thought.

    Another thing I wanted to suggest when using Divine Favor (this is something I do everyday when healing, and this includes raid healing.) to get the most out of the 2 min CD from Divine Favor as far as healing and keeping your target alive is the combination of, [Divine Favor + Holy Shock + Holy Light] because what you have here is an instant crit heal that you can even cast on the go or use this as a means of rapid healing a dying tank (On Patchwerk) and follow up with a very large Holy Light heal in a matter of a second and a half or so since being talented in Infusion of Light makes your Holy Shock crits also effect the cast time of HL. And as far as mana effeciency for this combination goes, it's highly effecient. Even with throwing that many spells together in a few seconds because at a VERY minimum the Holy Shock will crit, giving you mana back. And at most the HS AND Holy Light will crit, giving you basically all your mana back from when you started casting. This strategy is GREAT keeping squishy tanks or tanks fighting disproportionally large hits, such as Patchwerk while still being mana effecient. (Also you can get the cast time of HL down to about 1 second cast with this combo if you've used HL a few casts before and have Light's Grace going, while still healing for 10k on average) I may refer to the Patchwerk or Sapphiron fights a bit since they seemed the most intensive for healing and to be honest I think this is somewhat the direction Blizzard will go as far as making fights longer and more demanding on mana conservation being VERY important in boss fights.

    Sorry for the long post, but last thing I would like to state is: Having the Glyph of Holy Light is almost wasteful now, I personally never have trouble with melee dps'ers dying on any fight as of now (subject to change of course with 3.1) And spamming HL's too much in a fight like Patches will get your melee dps'ers killed actually, however either way it's not very effective in the end since most of the healing it did give, goes to overheal which doesn't even proc the effect so it's wasted. I would definitely recommend the Glyph of Divinity over the Glyph of Holy Light, since on long boss fights where the dps is struggling or again, fights like Sapphiron or Patches it just takes awhile, this is great for relieving the tanks with 50% armor bonus with a mere 2 points in Lay on Hands, AND 5k mana or so to both the tank AND yourself. That can keep you active while DP is on CD or you just popped it and are waiting for the mana to get into your pool when your OOM AND cut your job in half against melee bosses since 50% of most tanks armor is close to 15-17k bonus armor = 80-90% damage mitigation which will directly effect how much you have to heal, basically giving you a free "down-time" completely. Thanks for listening and hope these thoughts help, and again very good guide overall.
    Last edited by Matheus; 02-11-2009 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Spacing it a bit so it's easier to read.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,022
    I believe your suggested coefficients for Holy Light, Flash of Light, and Holy Shock are incorrect. I will try to go verify.


    EDIT:
    What I found perusing through wowhead and EJ suggests:

    FoL: 100%
    HL: 166%
    HS: 81% (for healing..still 43% for damage)

    Those are before talents like Healing Light that increase those by 1.13 multiplied.
    Last edited by jere; 02-13-2009 at 11:47 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    190
    Information has been corrected, thank you

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    40
    Divine plea can't be dispelled by another player, but WE can dispell by ourselfs. When you poped divine plea and needs to start casting big heals again, a macro "/cancelaura divine plea" will be very usefull.
    Raiss ~ Holy Paladin @ Gurubashi Horde.
    Chosen Man.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2
    Taking Kings is very very bad. I know it's wonderful to give your tank an extra 10% and all raid members love it. However, In taking kings, you lose 5% crit. There is a total of 8% crit available in the first four tiers of the ret tree. With the current set up as it is, crit is a paladins main source of mana regen. To not take a free 8% shows a level of retardation (not saying anybody is a retard).

    I would also suggest persuit of justice for the last 2 points simply because sometimes you have to move and fight. Moving that much faster allows a small amount of time more to cast while not moving. You can see my build here: The World of Warcraft Armory .

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by Evantor View Post
    I would also suggest persuit of justice for the last 2 points simply because sometimes you have to move and fight. Moving that much faster allows a small amount of time more to cast while not moving. You can see my build here: The World of Warcraft Armory .
    Pursuit of Justice can be very nice on some fights such as Grobbulus and Sapphiron, where you do end up having to move a lot; again though, a lot of it is up to personal preference, what that particular healer is doing, and what they feel comfortable with, and that's why I haven't made any hard suggestions for those last 2 points.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    64
    That's why I took BOK instead of the extra 3% of crit as well. It's not just about you, but your utility to the raid/5-man group ever. I play on a medium population server, and I have a druid who has points in imp MOTW/GOTW even though he is tank specced. Lots of guides seem to hate on imp MOTW/GOTW, and a lot of druids skip it for one reason or another.

    Same with BOK. I've run into several pallies who do not have this specced at all.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2
    Lizana,

    Your numbers and math is correct and all, and I won't argue the pure numbers of using the Glyph of HL but seriously, let's do some practical studies instead of crunching numbers all the time. Players don't care about what the numbers say unless that's what's *actually* happening in the game. And honestly, that's not what happens in-game and we both know that. The range for Glyph of HL is horrible, and got even worse. Okay so I heal my MT most of the time with HL and who else gets benefits from glyph of HL, my melee dps? Gee, well that's a personal preference already since in my raids I hardly use melee dps to be completely honest, not out of segregation but just because that's my guild arc atm. So that does me hardly any good healing 544 or so on one or two targets when... Oh look they're already full life anyway, geez what a waste. And you're right, any holy paladin worth his salt isn't going to RELY on using LoH for mana regen, that's absurd. But the ability to instantly generate 5k mana or so when I use it to keep pressure off in hard hitting fights or even myself in the occassional world PvP is just much nicer in my personal opinion and you can't argue the numbers that Imp. LoH decrease total healing, and therefore total mana spent saves. Even if you don't use it once every... hour or so, it doesn't matter because all you need it for is those very specific fights and that's what it all boils down to, not overall number crunching. We can crunch numbers all day long and get in-game to find out "Oh dang, my 50% chance to crit doesn't help me worth a *@mn because it's still only a percentage" I mean literally i've casted about 25 heals just to test it before at roughly 35% crit chance with some raid buffs and got how many crits? 0. It's all chance in the end anyway as far as critting mechanics go.

    As far as typically using DF + HL yeah, that's usually what I do on less demanding fights or if i'm not feeling lazy because again, let's be honest... we have the mana to throw around atm and don't need to crunch. Definitely going to change in 3.1 agreed, but that's not here yet so just relax. And infusion of Light lasts for 10 seconds too, so in the combo of DF + HS + HL I can use DF + HS while i'm moving which is much more beneficial than saving some odd... 100 mana? And even if HL doesn't crit, you don't need it to and nor should you rely on ANY of your spells critting, because again, it's all chance. Granted, the chance does go up with higher crit, it's still chance.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    39
    Blessing of Kings: This buff gives an additional 10% to all stats.


    Every holy paladin should have 5 talents into the protection tree for this. I've seen other people suggest that holy paladins might not need this necessarily, because of the idea that a retribution paladin would have this, but this assumes that a retribution paladin will be in your group. Retribution paladins are still not out there in insane quantities, but holy paladins are, and all tanks will love a holy paladin that has this buff. And no, one cannot assume that a protection paladin will be casting this up on everyone either, because a protection paladin is going to be casting Blessing of Sanctuary on themselves and on all other tanks in the group, and they will appreciate someone else to cast Blessing of Kings on themselves just as any other tank would. It is planned in 3.1 for this ability to be given to all paladins regardless of spec.


    Blessing of Wisdom: This buff, at base effect, gives the target 91 mp5. When it is talented for, and it should be, it gives 109 mp5 to the target.


    This is a mandatory healing paladin buff. This is a buff to cast on all spellcasters, and sometimes even enhancement shamans and hunters. This buff supercedes all other buffs that a Holy Paladin has in usefulness for spellcasters.



    I would heavily debate these 2:

    1st kings, its not manditory far from it especially when you know there is a Ret pally in the raid, if there is its a waste of talents, far better going for the 3% extra crit.

    2nd I know on my priest, warlock, and druid I would prefer kings than wisdom. Shamans are the only ones to have any major benifit from this buff and mages to a lesser extent... Since most of the classes scale with spirit now wisdom is of use only if your gear is subpar and you lack regen via spirit. This may change in 3.1 but as thats not out as yet what I've said stands


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    190
    Everyone talks about how they know there's going to be a ret paladin in their raids and how the ret paladin is going to be buffing kings, so on and so forth. The problem? It's the fact that you're not guaranteed that there's going to be a ret paladin in your group, and even if you do get a ret paladin in the group, that ret paladin is far more likely to want to cast Imp Blessing of Might than Blessing of Kings. Some groups are fortunate to always be assured that they have a ret paladin. I do not make any such assumptions that there is replenishment of any sort of a raid, because in the runs that I typically go on, we don't have a frost mage, a shadow priest, or a ret paladin in there for replenishment or for the other benefits they provide. I would ask that people please quit assuming that every raid is going to have a ret paladin in them, because you're not guaranteed that, but by you as a holy paladin coming to a raid, you are guaranteed that there is a holy paladin, and one that will have kings at that by speccing for it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by qygibo View Post
    Everyone talks about how they know there's going to be a ret paladin in their raids and how the ret paladin is going to be buffing kings, so on and so forth. The problem? It's the fact that you're not guaranteed that there's going to be a ret paladin in your group, and even if you do get a ret paladin in the group, that ret paladin is far more likely to want to cast Imp Blessing of Might than Blessing of Kings. Some groups are fortunate to always be assured that they have a ret paladin. I do not make any such assumptions that there is replenishment of any sort of a raid, because in the runs that I typically go on, we don't have a frost mage, a shadow priest, or a ret paladin in there for replenishment or for the other benefits they provide. I would ask that people please quit assuming that every raid is going to have a ret paladin in them, because you're not guaranteed that, but by you as a holy paladin coming to a raid, you are guaranteed that there is a holy paladin, and one that will have kings at that by speccing for it.
    If you do get a ret they bless kings and you as holy should have imp might

    and what I was saying your stating its a "MUST" when its not its just from your point of view in a lot of guild a ret pally is garenteed specially 25 man.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10
    or just not care about 5 mans and just spec for your raids?

    I have a ret pally in all the 25 mans I do in which I go 51/0/20 with the exception of sarth + 3, and 5 mans, I dont think the tank is gonna notice the extra 3k hp considering how easy heroics are now days.

    I think if your in a raiding guild and dont feel like respeccing all the time, just stay with the spec of your 25 man raid which most guilds do have ret pallies in almost 100 percent of the time, which mine does.

    Only exception I see for respeccing for raids is 10 man achievement stuff like OS10+3 other then that, its kinda a waste to have to respec into kings just for naxx on 10 man and 5 mans.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by qygibo View Post
    Everyone talks about how they know there's going to be a ret paladin in their raids and how the ret paladin is going to be buffing kings, so on and so forth. The problem? It's the fact that you're not guaranteed that there's going to be a ret paladin in your group, and even if you do get a ret paladin in the group, that ret paladin is far more likely to want to cast Imp Blessing of Might than Blessing of Kings. Some groups are fortunate to always be assured that they have a ret paladin. I do not make any such assumptions that there is replenishment of any sort of a raid, because in the runs that I typically go on, we don't have a frost mage, a shadow priest, or a ret paladin in there for replenishment or for the other benefits they provide. I would ask that people please quit assuming that every raid is going to have a ret paladin in them, because you're not guaranteed that, but by you as a holy paladin coming to a raid, you are guaranteed that there is a holy paladin, and one that will have kings at that by speccing for it.

    As a beginner's guide, this is well written and informative.

    In the context of raiding, if you're trying to convince people that a holy paladin should spec kings, fine just be aware that alot of people disagree with you whether he/she is the only pally or there is more than one spec being represented.

    I'm making no assumptions on what anyone's raid makeup is, but it's generally known that a raid specced holy paladin doesn't pick up kings. 5 mans is a different story.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizana View Post
    Not every guild is a 25 man raid guild, at no point in the post did it say this post is made only for 25 man raid guild, so please stop bringing up YOUR 25 man raid guild. Please show me any proof you have that 95%+ of all 25 man raid groups have a ret pally with them speced into kings? Your making an assumption that some one else has the exact same raid make up you do, your assuming they are not just doing 10 mans, your assuming they are not just running heroics or 5 mans. By the time a pally is healing a raid they should know everything already in this post, therefore it doesn't really apply to them. So please stop bringing up YOUR raid group, unless you can show numbers showing that 95%+ (what i would consider most) of 10 man, 25 man, and 5 man groups have a ret pally in them, stop bringing it up

    The fact still remains if you dont have another pally to buff kings, you should pick it up. Just because your raid has some one else to buff it, doesn't mean everyone will. As of 3.1 this becomes a moot point, but untill that time, dont give advice based off what YOUR 25 man raid group does if it doesn't apply to people in all circumstances unless your preface it with "This only is good advice if you have my groups raid makeup, otherwise its hurtful to your raid/party". Too many people read starting guides and try to tear it apart because of things in their END GAME raid group. Do you see the difference, this guide is meant for people new to the pally class, not the pally healing S3D with a stacked raid group. Just because your raiding doesn't mean everyone is, just because you run 25 mans doesn't mean everyone is. This guide makes no assumptions about what you might have in your party or event that you are raiding. It is a general guide for holy pallies, not a raid guide for holy pallies that have a ret pally in the raid 100% for their 25 man raid.

    Lizana, you sound angry.....

    If you're just getting your feet wet, sure pick up kings but I would tell that to any pally since you never know who you'll group with. I'm pretty sure that was the point of this thread and good one if I may add.

    As far as raiding is concerned, I don't believe you're giving good advice telling holy Paladins to pick up Kings. I can only speak for myself but when I'm speccing as holy, I spec to maximize my healing not to assume or guess whether or not I'm the only pally in the raid therefore I should pick up kings or some other nonsense.

    Bottom line, if you guys want to spec into kings in a raiding environment, fine that's your choice. Just don't feel compelled to do so because it isn't your job in the raid. This has been debated for quite some time now.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Shochu View Post
    Lizana, you sound angry.....

    If you're just getting your feet wet, sure pick up kings but I would tell that to any pally since you never know who you'll group with. I'm pretty sure that was the point of this thread and good one if I may add.

    As far as raiding is concerned, I don't believe you're giving good advice telling holy Paladins to pick up Kings. I can only speak for myself but when I'm speccing as holy, I spec to maximize my healing not to assume or guess whether or not I'm the only pally in the raid therefore I should pick up kings or some other nonsense.

    Bottom line, if you guys want to spec into kings in a raiding environment, fine that's your choice. Just don't feel compelled to do so because it isn't your job in the raid. This has been debated for quite some time now.
    And please tell me why you believe 3% personal crit is better for the raid than 1215 Stamina, 456 Int, 372 str, 181 spirit, 327 agi for a 10 man raid, or 2.5 times that for a 25 man raid? Yes for your own healing performance picking up kings currently puts you slightly below in healing, but the gains to the rest of the raid by far exceed that. And note currently in 3.1 kings is replaced by a tallent that increases healing by 5%. So the points STILL would be better spent in prot teir 1 than getting the extra 3% crit in ret.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by Shochu View Post
    As a beginner's guide, this is well written and informative.

    In the context of raiding, if you're trying to convince people that a holy paladin should spec kings, fine just be aware that alot of people disagree with you whether he/she is the only pally or there is more than one spec being represented.

    I'm making no assumptions on what anyone's raid makeup is, but it's generally known that a raid specced holy paladin doesn't pick up kings. 5 mans is a different story.
    I don't make assumptions at all about a group's makeup or whether there will be another paladin in the group. If there is another paladin in the group and they are sure to have kings, then fine, don't spec into the build with kings. That is why I made two links at the bottom of the original post detailing a build with kings and a build without kings. And note, this is a moot point after 3.1 because any paladin seeking to increase their healing effectiveness will spec 5 points into protection anyway because of:

    • New Talent Divinity:Tier 1 protection talent, increases healing done by and to you by 1/2/3/4/5% (from mmo-champion.com)

    This talent replaces the Kings ability in the talent tree and there should be no argument as to what would be better, 3% personal crit or doing 5% more healing.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts