+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Takin Too much Dmg

Takin Too much Dmg

Im currently Unholy Spec'd tank, w/ Roughly 49% Avoidance unbuffed(armory doesn't add my 5% from spec.) 28880ish Hp in Frost presence, my Question is What should i Do to reduce the amount of Dmg i am taking. My current Rotation Assuming i wait 6 odd seconds after casting Bone shield to start the fight is:

DND->IT->PS->Pest(if a group of mobs)/BS(if single target)->SS->SS->Pest

Also Using Unholy Blight, Death Coil and Rune Strike when able to, keeping my Diseases up being my Top priority. and Bone Shield staying up being my Second Priority, I have Very High TPS, but due to the nerf my dmg taken seems to have been increased Dramaticly, any spec gear or rotation Suggestions would be increadably helpfull

For your gear level, your health and avoidance do look slightly low.

To start with, drop your +Parry/Stam gems for +Dodge/Stam gems.

You could consider swapping your weapon enchant to SG and gemming for more Stam.

If you're seriously worried about the amount of damage you're taking, spec Frost instead of Unholy for more avoidance, longer IBF etc.

Personaly I'd socket dodge/stamina and drop parry stamina, parry stack badly

I Atempted to Spec frost as soon as 3.1 Came out, but due to the reduced TPS i was getting i found it just wasn't Viable, i'm Regemming Dodge/stam over parry/stam, Im Consitiering changing Sword shattering to SG, but trying to Figure out just how much Avoidance i will lose.

Edit: After Checking I go From 26.80Dodge, 22.23Parry, 5.27 Hit Avoidance, To 27.80Dodge, 19.23%parry, 6.72%Hit Avoidance, When i switch Enchants on my weapon, Gaining Roughly 400hp, So in Essence im Gaining 400hp in Exchange for 1% Avoidance, Any thoughts on weither or not this is worth it? i've Always tried to go avoidance over sta which is probley why im having the problems i am now

Edit2: Would it be Worthwhile to Jack up my EH in Exchange for lowering my Avoidance, maybe change to SG, then change my Repelling charge to the h-AN trinket, essence of Glossmar, We're currently able to get to Hodir on 10man pretty easly, Skipping the Iron council, is there any gear i should be looking for outta Ulduar/naxx25?
    Last edited by Oit; 05-06-2009 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Updated information

Quote Originally Posted by Oit View Post
    Edit2: Would it be Worthwhile to Jack up my EH in Exchange for lowering my Avoidance, maybe change to SG, then change my Repelling charge to the h-AN trinket, essence of Glossmar, We're currently able to get to Hodir on 10man pretty easly, Skipping the Iron council, is there any gear i should be looking for outta Ulduar/naxx25?
    Short answer: Yes. If you go SG you can enchant/gem for more Health, replace the Repelling Charge with Gossamer. With Dodge >> Parry, I'd say replace your current belt with Ancient Aligned Girdle - Item - World of Warcraft The more stam you carry the more you gain from SG and with SG you can also enchant/gem much more freely to get even more stam.

I have less Ulduar gear than you do (got the awesome T8.5 tank pants from Emalon), but with JC gems+JC trinket Figurine - Monarch Crab - Item - World of Warcraft and BS sockets I sit at about 33.2k health unbuffed in frost pres. JC trinket is just awesome; 1-minute CD huge dodge buff that protects BS charges + ton of health. Healers love me for having nice buffer, I sit around 43k health raid buffed. In Ulduar most of the big blows than come are magical so you need anti-magic CD's + big health pool to cope with it. Actually changing to SG rune becomes almost must when you go to fights (Hodir) needing Frost resistance so why not going that way anyway.

One last note. You seem to run without IIT talented so unless you can guarantee 100% that someone else in raid is bringing it I'd say take it too to reduce incoming dmg. Also, one thing I've noticed that prioritizing blood runes for 1st to be used adds up too in longer fights. You want to keep that Blade Barrier 5% dama reduction up as much as possible.

Ok with those switches, I should be doing decently on health, i'll hit H-AN asap for the belt, and apparently the trinket seeing as how i cant find the one i had, Just outta Curiosity tho, what should my Avoidance be at? I'm Noticing my BS get eaten pretty fast in a boss fight, much faster then they did in naxx at any rate, in your opinion would it be profitable to switch from bs/miner to bs/jc? I'd lose 500 base hp, but gain some of those nice 40 something sta gems

Ok with those switches, I should be doing decently on health, i'll hit H-AN asap for the belt, and apparently the trinket seeing as how i cant find the one i had, Just outta Curiosity tho, what should my Avoidance be at? I'm Noticing my BS get eaten pretty fast in a boss fight, much faster then they did in naxx at any rate, in your opinion would it be profitable to switch from bs/miner to bs/jc? I'd lose 500 base hp, but gain some of those nice 40 something sta gems
    To be perfectly honest I have not been looking my avoidance that much. I've gone by guidelines: have dodge about %5 above parry (parry suffers more from DR) and stack tons of health. There are not that many avoidance fights in Ulduar from what I hear.

JC/BS are awesome for tanks, though JC can be quite expensive to level but I've been so happy that I went through the pain to get that done. The trinket alone (the dodge buff it gives on 1 min CD is just awesome for protecting the BS) is almost as good as epic one from Ulduar 25 and the JC-gems + BS sockets give so much flexibility in gear setup.

I tried for a while to go with avoidance over stam but it just doesn't work. Because of the very nature of avoidance and how close we already run to being dead in ulduar healers have to spam you all the time anyway.

2 hits from many of the bosses will kill a tank so healers can't bank on you not getting hit. They have to heal anyway. So while seeing a dodge/parry/miss go by is nice and lets you shoot back to full health it's the 2 or 3 hits in a row during a stun/fear on the raid that really show why stam> avoidance one you drop down to 2 or 3 k health the other you show an overkill amount.

So for me atleast I go as much health as I can get with enchants and gems and whatever my gear gives me in dodge/parry is what I have.

yea, that was my Thought im getting hit for around 11K, if i get hit three times in a Row im generaly dead, sometimes im getting hit for as high as 13-14K, Im thinking my Goal should be 45% Avoidance and 31-32K hp which would put me around 36-37K buffed, With atleast 50% avoidance, Which should work, If anyone has any hard numbers or Suggestions on what gear to change it would be extreemely helpfull, Thank you aswell to the people who have posted so far, going for EH is compeltle oposite of what i was doing and im not exactly sure what exactly i should be looking for besides ofcourse hp.

As said above, try to get Dodge gems over Parry.

Remember Icebound Fortitude is available to all DKs. Its low cooldown makes it viable for use on large and difficult pulls, not just for "oh shit" moments in boss fights. The glyph makes it even better.
    It's always easier to just be nice.

Yea i replaced all of my Parry/sta gems with dodge/sta I may even trade em up for straight dodge gems, that is if i get my hp high enough so i can afford to do that

Well, I haven't got the Essence yet, but I did get the H-AN belt, and the 25man OS pants, I manage to stay @ 46% Dodge+parry, and 30K Hp unbuffed, after i change the trinket ill lose about 1K Avoidance but gain another 1K hp which will be great, Thank you again for all your help in making this switch guys
    Last edited by Oit; 05-07-2009 at 10:21 PM.

Yea i replaced all of my Parry/sta gems with dodge/sta I may even trade em up for straight dodge gems, that is if i get my hp high enough so i can afford to do that

Well, I haven't got the Essence yet, but I did get the H-AN belt, and the 25man OS pants, I manage to stay @ 46% Dodge+parry, and 30K Hp unbuffed, after i change the trinket ill lose about 1K Avoidance but gain another 1K hp which will be great, Thank you again for all your help in making this switch guys
    We did a short pug run in Ulduar10 yesterday (downed FL, Raz and XT002, will continue today) and I must say that based on the experience there big health buffer is very nice. Razorscale breaths, fire dmg from Ignis adds (cleared them all but had no time to make real effort on the boss), light bombs during tantrum while off-tanking 5 Pummellers on XT were all situations where high health just shined. Went several times to around 5-7k (healers out of range momentarily) and given my raid buffed/flasked health is around 44k (got nice upgrade belt from Raz) atm I can think of several cases where I would have died if not for my imbaish health.

We actually one-shotted Razorscale (and even got Quick Shave Achievement while doing it) though 9/10 of our raid had never tried the encounter before and tacts were only explained before the fight and "let's just give it a shot" was agreed...

yea, That's why i Decided EH tankign would be better, I was well with in the 'three hit rule' for naxx25, but ulduar ten im getting hit for as much as 15K, Which ofcourse hurts, with the extra hp i have, i should be good, Was @ 38K in a pug naxx10 tonight, kings, commanding shout, Well fed, fort and Gotw, things i always raid with, so i should be good, even better once i get the sta trinket installed, ill be trading 1K h for 1% avoidance which seems logical

+ Reply to Thread