+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ulduar Frost Tank

Ulduar Frost Tank

The World of Warcraft Armory

My guild doesn't have a 100% dedicated MT, it cycles between myself, another DK and our GM (Warrior) depending on who can make the raid. We have all MT'd all of Naxx 10/25, blah blah blah. That said, we are working into Ulduar right now. Our 10man progression is quite a bit farther than our 25 (we have a raid alliance w/ others due to our smaller size). To give an idea of what we are fighting, thus far we have killed:

10: Flame, Razorscale, Ignis, Deconstructor, Assembly, Kologarn, Auriaya and Hodir.
    25: Flame, Razorscale, Deconstructor

So, with that long-winded intro, looking for other Ulduar tank input. I am still gemmed for avoidance from Naxx days. Also note that I haven't been super lucky with drops overall, as this is basically all my tanking gear. I don't have the luxury of a EH set, Threat set, etc.

Questions:

1. Go full +sta gems? Swap bracer enchant for +40 sta? (see below on Exp.). Raid buffed I usually have 40-41k with flask of stoneblood and buff food in frost pres.

2. Get more expertise via gems? I have a ring with exp. I can swap out. My logic here is I use HB/FS quite a bit so typically haven't put a lot of value on expertise. That 6 is a bit embarrassing though. I used to run 8% hit but re-gemmed for more avoidance a while back.

3. Boots. Swap enchant for Tuskar or wait for new boots then do it?

4. Yes, I need a new helmet. I've seen the helm token once (lost roll) and Helm of Vital Protection once (lost again...).

Thanks in advance.

In all honesty, I prefer to gear for EH in Ulduar rather than avoidance. Granted I'm a blood tank so its more conducive to my spec, but imo Ulduar bosses hit so hard you want to be sitting at over 42k raid buffed minimum (which I don't think you would be unless I'm mistaken?

One good option for you would be to craft a ruby hare and gem it with 2x Expertise gems. This would give you a nice uprade to valor imo in both threat and EH. Expertise does matter as a frost tank since Oblit should be a good amount of your TPS.

Hmm, that's not a bad idea really. Also, oddly, the armory doesn't show my expertise right, its actually 11, not 6. I suspect its not showing my racial bonus. Anyway, using chardev it looks like I could re-gem, swap a ring and swap the trinket and make the following changes:

Changes:
    - 3 Def
    - 2.34% Dodge
    - .5% Parry
    + 1914 Health (123 stamina)
    - .76% Hit
    + 2% Expertise (8)

This would bring me up to 19 expertise and almost 2k more health.

armory doesn't display bonuses provided by racials or talents, so factor these into any calculations you make.
    It's always easier to just be nice.

+ Reply to Thread