+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Healing as a Holy Priest ( plz let me know what u

Healing as a Holy Priest ( plz let me know what u

hey i would just like to ask what u guys think of my Priest healer, any imput or suggestions to make him better, he's specced and geared toward Raid healing in H Raids. please let me know what u think

this is me: The World of Warcraft Armory

There are things in your spec you need that you have not specced into and for that you will want to use the one I use: The World of Warcraft Armory

Lightwell is really not needed cause b/c of the amount of dmg going out the minute you get hit it will despawn plus why would someone run back to click it when there are healers in raid to get them up. Body and Soul is a 50/50. I don't use it cause I run with a disc priest that bubbles people before I do and still in Ulduar I have found no reason to use it. Divine Providence is a MUST cause of the cooldown of POM which i use whenever it is ready plus the increase in heals.

As for your glyphs, replace power word shield with Prayer of Healing cause you will add an extra hot on people when you do POH on them. Mine ticks for 550 or so for 6 seconds. Your minor glyphs are good.

When collecting gear always gem ur blue sockete with the 16 spirit which u have done so already. Yellows Int and reds either do SPELL + Crit or SPELL + INT. you do not need to gem staright spell power. Ur spell power will increase with the spirit gems. I sit around 2500 raid buffed. Remember you want to have as much mana + mana regen while casting so that you can stay in a fight longer. See how I've gemmed my gear.

Your trinkets are decent and your probably going by what you have sgotten so far but just to let you know THE EGG is the worst trinket you can probably have for Holy. The final quest from dragonblight on top of the temple is better than it. You will want to get SPIRIT WORLD GLASS from 10 man naxx (Gothik the Harvester) as well as SOUL OF THE DEAD from 25 man naxx (Sapphiron). Once u get into Ulduar go for SPARK OF HOPE and you will replace SPIRIT WORLD GLASS with it. Keep SoUL OF THE DEAD. The more crit you have the more you will proc holy concentration which = to mana regen.

*Note: The spec I use I does not use Greater Heal as much b/c Flash Heals is our primary heal now.

Have fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by Broteas View Post
    Lightwell is really not needed cause b/c of the amount of dmg going out the minute you get hit it will despawn plus why would someone run back to click it when there are healers in raid to get them up. Body and Soul is a 50/50. I don't use it cause I run with a disc priest that bubbles people before I do and still in Ulduar I have found no reason to use it. Divine Providence is a MUST cause of the cooldown of POM which i use whenever it is ready plus the increase in heals.

As for your glyphs, replace power word shield with Prayer of Healing cause you will add an extra hot on people when you do POH on them. Mine ticks for 550 or so for 6 seconds. Your minor glyphs are good.
    I disagree with this.

Just because people are too bad/lazy to click lightwell doesn't mean it's a bad talent. It's actually a great talent to supplement healing. In T7 level raids, it's not that useful, but it shines in Ulduar and only costs one point.

Glyph of POH is useless because the hot gets overwritten. Regardless of how much it heals for, it's 0 healing if it all ends up as overheal. And in a raid situation where it actually ends up healing, then you're either running with too little healers or too many slacky healers.

Armory is down so I can't see his talents though. But there's some pretty decent advice here: WotLK Healing Compendium v3.1: Here There Be Theorycraft (and Dargons?) - Elitist Jerks
    WotLK Healing Discussion v3.1: The Ulduar Edition - Elitist Jerks

Lightwell is purely a matter of opinion and whether your raiders are aware enough to use it. My raid leader and MT loves it and always had me put it down next to him during raids before I respecced into Disc - unfortunately most of the raiders never used it so I gave up.

Body & Soul seems more like a PvP talent, but it does actually have its uses in PvE especially if there are people who are trying to run away/kite something (General Vezax and his self-buff, runes with the Iron Council, Zombie Chows in Gluth). The only problem with that is that if you have a Disc Priest in the raid as well, then there'll be issues with the Weakened Soul debuff unless there is prior arrangement.

Juggling the other talents is purely a matter of playstyle. Some Holy Priests may not spend points on Divine Fury because they don't use Greater Heal all that often. Same goes for the Renew talents. Surge of Light, if you're not using it a lot when it procs, maybe you can take a point out.

I wouldn't say Glyph of PoH is entirely useless, but I would replace it with Glyph of Guardian Spirit.
    Last edited by Matthras; 05-06-2009 at 03:02 AM.

Armory's loading. You seem to know what you're doing from gear and gem choices, but:

Head- try to replace it with something that allows for a meta gem. At first look Cowl of Innocent Delight might be okay, but most head pieces with an Insightful Earthsiege diamond will allow for more regen and has better stats.

Chest- Try to get Blanketing Robes of snow from Malygos25.

Boots- The ones you have are okay, but ones with spirit are better. For example the ones which drop from Razuvious25.

You should try getting a better weapon as well:P

Your mana regen is a bit low, but I would also stay away from geming/enchanting every slot with some regen stat since any mana beyond enough for a boss fight is pointless.

I agree with the runed gems. Why? Spellpower is any priest's main stat since it scales with everything. Focusing on too must regen just means you're doing less healing than you could be while you're on an almost-full mana bar the entire fight. I think it's best to gear/gem for enough regen and then go spellpower all the way. Although how much is "enough" really depends on the person's mana management and playstyle. Personally I've got 610 O5SR and have no mana issues.

This is how I gem atm:
    Red- Runed scarlet ruby
    Yellow- Luminous or Potent monarch topaz
    Blue- Purified twilight opal or Seer's forest emerald

Talents:
    Body and soul- Depends on if you have a disc priest in the raid and how badly your raid members are at moving. In our raids, none of the priests have the talent since we expect everyone to have a decent reaction time and it steps on the disc priest's toes.

Divine Fury- It depends on your play style and if you have Serendipity or not. If you're taking Serenipity (and you've got no reason not to), then Divine Fury is a must.

Renew talents- The direct heal part of renew makes the spell not as useless as it was before, but the ticks usually end up as overheal anyway.

This is my talent sheet when I'm holy: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

Some nice trinkets to replace your egg with:
    Darkmoon Card: Greatness - Best regen trinket atm, but costly and needs your spirit to be higher than your int to work.
    Illustration of the Dragon Soul - Best spellpower trinket in game.
    Je'Tze's Bell - I'd vote this is 2nd best in regen slot pre-Ulduar
    Soul of the Dead - Nice mainly for the regen it offers
    Darkmoon Card: Illusion - Decent spellpower and mp5, pretty cheap if you're low on gold.
    Forethought Talisman - Mainly good for the sp bonus since the heal usually gets overwritten
    Spirit-World Glass - Spirit with a spirit on use
    Soul Preserver - Really good for a normal mode drop

I kind of prefer 1x regen and 1x spellpower combo, and like the ones with a static spellpower bonus even if it's a regen trinket. So for example if I was picking between Je'Tze's Bell or Soul of the dead, I'd go for the bell.
    Last edited by Cookie; 05-05-2009 at 05:19 AM.

I've been healing as disc since 3.1 came out, but I plan to give this holy spec a try soon.

I don't expect 3.1 to effect how I approach holy. Regen may have been nerfed, but the gear from 25man content is full of int/spirit/mp5. With full raid buffs, Insightful Earthseige Diamond meta-gem, Soul of the Dead, and intelligent use of cooldowns - regen is not a huge issue. I gem mainly for spell power, and only use spirit or int gems for the meta-gem requirement or if the socket bonus is worth it.

Most gear choices are between spirit, mp5, crit, and haste - all gear has stam, int, and sp. I'm a crit junkie. Can't get enough of it. If you look at the cloth itemization in Ulduar, you will see that gear is divided between spirit+crit, mp5+haste, and crit+haste. I like to go with mostly spirit+crit with some haste gear for progression fights.

Crit+haste gear and raw spell power stacking become more valuable in short fights where throughput is the limiting factor. There's no point in stacking regen beyond what is necessary. For progression, you need to be able to last until the enrage timer without going oom. Once the dps in your guild get more and more Ulduar gear the fights will be getting shorter, and regen choices can slowly be swapped out for more throughput.

I'm not a fan of HoTs for Priest healing, even with the new renew changes. Priests excel in topping people off quickly with instant/hasted casts, and I try to play towards those strengths. I only keep Renew up on tanks, so the single point in Empowered Renew gives it a chance to crit.

Crit is what fuels the holy priest's engine. It procs Surge of Light, Holy Concentration, Inspiration, Soul of the Dead, and provides a large amount of extra throughput.

Keeping PoM bouncing around is the key to success as a Holy Priest. Every time it's off cooldown I cast it on a target that has aggro (usually a tank). As PoM is bouncing, it generates crits; combined with CoH and enough crit% you can get long strings of free, instant Flash Heals.

Prayer of Healing is your best heal for dealing with predictable raid damage. Greater Heal is still useful if a tank healer goes down and you need to land some bomb heals.

I've never used Lightwell, but I can see how some people may get good use out of it. I imagine it could be a nice talent to take on a fight like Vezax.

Normally I use Binding Heal for self-healing, but I am a fan of Desperate Prayer for when I take damage while on the run.

First of all, Thank you all for your opinions, i love lightwell, it has helped SO much in Uldaur and The new boss in VoA. its uses are only good though when, like has already been said, the raid know's how to use it. Body and Soul is nice bec it also rmoves Poisons, which are good for certain boss's. + it has a 60% speed increase. this HELPS ALOT on boss's like the Deconstructor and other varoius bosses that use alot of movment. i mainly focus on Crit over Haste, bec several of my talents use crit to proc, thus saving mana in the end. i also focus mainly on Int over Mp5, since there are alot of Buffs i can get while in raids to help my mana regen, fully buffed i sit around 750 mp5 while out of combat, and 22-23k mana with 2400-2500 sp. i think this is good any feed back?

Gear is okay, gemming/enchanting is fine.

Lightwell is too situational, I would not spec for it. Skipping divine providence is a HUGE mistake. Priests are aoe healers, we are healing the raid in almost every encounter and that talent is essential for that.
    Body and soul is nice but it's hard to save points for it
    If you don't use renew too often, remove (some) points from improved/empowered renew and put them in divine providence. That talent MUST be maxed.
    Glyph of PoH is suboptimal, even on encounters that are heavily healed with POH (Hodir, Ignis) it's almost useless. On all other encounters it's totally useless. GS or renew glyph is better, depending in your playstyle, I mean if you're heavily into renewing, use renew glyph, otherwise go with Guardian Spirit.
    Desperate prayer is indeed incredibly good when you take damage you were not supposed to

Is your shadow spec for pvp? If it's intended to be a pve spec, put points in veiled shadows and maybe in improved VE. Inner focus is not important for shadow.
    Imp shadow form is so rarely useful in pve I'd rather skip it for stuff that are useful on every encounter. Psychic horror is strictly for pvp.

Int is our best regen stat in 25man raids, mp5 is suboptimal after your spirit and intellect are decent (and they are decent now). Use spirit items instead of mp5 items when you have the choice.

When collecting gear always gem ur blue sockete with the 16 spirit which u have done so already. Yellows Int and reds either do SPELL + Crit or SPELL + INT. you do not need to gem staright spell power. Ur spell power will increase with the spirit gems. I sit around 2500 raid buffed. Remember you want to have as much mana + mana regen while casting so that you can stay in a fight longer. See how I've gemmed my gear.
    You say you need as much mana and regen as possible but you suggest pure spirit and spell/crit gems? Bit ironic.

Int/Spi is the way to go (best of all stats right there.. mana, regen, mp5, crit and healing) and Sp/Spi or Int if theres a Red bonus you just must have.

Holy Priests still to this day should not be having regen problems providing your using at least half decent balanced gear or simply know how to stopcast. Recently dinged my old Sunwell priest and did a couple of Naxx 25s for some starting gear then cleared Uld 25 (did every fight, kills on some were on my off nights or passing spots for peoples mains hence a few achievements missing) without any problems being in what I think is a fair bit undergeared.

Still find it easy to outheal and underoverheal any greater geared healer. When it comes to such a class I find the persons playstyle and knowledge matters alot more than there gear and stats. Was like Solo healing Karazhan in Karazhan level gear..

The World of Warcraft Armory

+ Reply to Thread