+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Magic resist and Ulduar

Magic resist and Ulduar

Hello, I was wondering if talents like acclimation and amz are still worth the points. I used to take them when i tanked naxx cause it made life easier on healers through some fights. But now i've tanked some ulduar and i have heard that acclimation doesn't work on some of the bosses. My 10man group was having trouble downing hodir with me in 3/3 frost resist and no magic mitigation talents. I love making life easy on healers so i was wondering if acclitamtion and the like still worked on Ulduar bosses.

P.S. I dont know where i heard about the magic talents not working. Sorry

yes acclimation does work

With respect to Hodir, we got him on the third pull last night. I was tanking on my Death Knight and I made sure I was uncrittable, wore 2 pieces of FR gear and we also had a Paladin aura to put my total FR just over 300. Liberal use of alternating Icebound Fort and AMS/Dodge Trinket/UA and we didn't have any problems with the Frozen Blows damage. We also made everyone wear 1 or 2 pieces of FR gear which made it substantially easier on the healers, and probably kept them less distracted.

I tend to think of acclimation like a self resist aura/totem, but not quite as good. And on that same logic, we've only used resist auras for Ignis, and Hodir, so I don't really see it as necessary. In addition, there's less wriggle room at the deep end of the Frost tree after 3.1, and you'll struggle to fit it into your tanking build without giving up Virulence or Morbidity, either of which I'd prefer.

I don't really value Unholy tanking at the moment, even less so for progression so I wouldn't recommend AMZ.

uhm, so far, for me, in naxxramas both heroic and normal the Acclimation doesnt proc so much.. i changed it for scent of blood

Magic mitigation talents are as good as ever, there are still loads of magic effects.

Hodir is the perfect example of a perfect fight for Acclimation. MT'ing him with frozen blows, Acclimation can already be easily 3 stacked up and make it significantly easier on the healers. It is situational though, in that it won't stack fully in every fight, and sometimes it won't help at all, but in the best of situations it's very powerful, so take with that grain of salt.

AMZ is and always has been limited by the tank using it. You can use it often and strategically, or you can forget it's on your bar or be too distracted otherwise to pop it carefully. When I was Unholy I muted a lot of effects that would otherwise have been a labor to heal through, but I've seen many people who just don't know how or when to use it.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

I have never taken magic mitigation talents for everyday tanking. They are very powerful on certain fights but I don't think they warrant the loss of other key talents to pick them up. Don't get me wrong these are great talent but i think their use is just to situational to spec into for general purpose. These are the talents that I start to look at if we are having more difficulty than normal on a certain boss or maybe when hard modes roll around. Even then however you have to ask "why are we having the problems we are having, and will losing threat/dps for a little more magic mitigation really make the difference?"

Quote Originally Posted by Qhorin View Post
    I have never taken magic mitigation talents for everyday tanking. They are very powerful on certain fights but I don't think they warrant the loss of other key talents to pick them up. Don't get me wrong these are great talent but i think their use is just to situational to spec into for general purpose. These are the talents that I start to look at if we are having more difficulty than normal on a certain boss or maybe when hard modes roll around. Even then however you have to ask "why are we having the problems we are having, and will losing threat/dps for a little more magic mitigation really make the difference?"
    Ulduar is pushing what tanks need to be capable of, and anti-magic builds are now something to consider. I personally run a blood-physical and an unholy-'mage tank' builds, switching up as appropriate. Does it make a gamebreaking difference? No. Do my healers see a difference based on the fight? YES. Small increases to mitigation may not scream out the same way as IBF does in power, but all the tiny increases accumulate into enough to matter.

My opinion is if you have a stable group, talk to the other tank(s) and coordinate a bit. Tweak builds a little to focus, and understand that some folks aren't ideal for specific fights. I looked at Auriaya myself, realized the fear mechanic and let a (human) prot warrior MT that fight. He's simply better suited for it, even though I 'could' tank it. I'ld rather let him do it and make it easier to accomplish.

Yeah I completely agree that ulduar is a bit different. The thing with my guild is we typically run with all 4 tanks in 25 man (1 each warrior, DK, druid, and pally). This allows us to adjust our tanking for each encounter and I typically only help tank trash and certain boss' unless someone happens to be absent. DKs are fantastic tanks on Hodir and General but overall we have decided that given the choice it would be better to have me dpsing than our prot warrior. Even with a fight like Hodir I can get on all 3 pieces of frost resist gear (gemmed with stam and defense) and still stay above cap with the sigil. Taking acclimation really wouldnt do a lot more for me at that level of resist and it gets my health in the area of 37-38k before buffs. At that point I would rather put out the extra threat have the dps go harder and get him down before the raid damage starts to take its toll.

+ Reply to Thread