+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hateful Tanking Patch(25)

Hateful Tanking Patch(25)

Hello, my guild has been a little slow on progression, and last week we tried Naxx25 for the first time with another guild, it, erm, didn't go so well...

The other guilds Tanks (Warrior/Paladin) were slightly less geared than I was, so I and the better geared of the two were assigned to Hateful duty, well, it was going alright until Patch was around 60% or so and the healers just couldn't keep me up anymore. ( I think we had 5 )

Now, my question for next week is, what is the "proper" way to manage my CD's. As a DK Tank, I have an abundance of buttons to push to help with mitigation, it's somewhat difficult, at least for me, to tell when the right time to use them is, if I wait around for my health to drop to use one, I might die before I even get it off, and even then, it seemed as if every Hateful strike took me to the point where I got a low health warning, am I just supposed to try to keep something up at all times?

Seeing as how my health was so ridiculously spiky during the encounter, I had myself wondering if I was even geared enough for it.

Here's my Armory; The World of Warcraft Armory

I was sitting at around 41.2K hp in full 25 buffs/flasks, if it helps.

Thanks in advance.

*EDIT* Terribly sorry, I think I might've put this in the wrong forum, if so, please move it. I am a moron.
    Last edited by Aspharr; 04-25-2009 at 05:15 AM.

Personaly I would think Deep Unholy would be better then yours cause Necrosis seems nice but at 3.4 speed you don't have much auto atks I put 3 points into DND because well any geared people will pull aggro well unless you DND on the ground. I put points into impurity and rage of rivendare because your unholy, all your AOE threat is spell DMG and the more ya do the more threat U have.

Doubt it was you thats the problem, we have about the same stats. I've tanked 25 man Patch as Unholy and Frost. We usually roll with 7 healers, and they need to be overhealing.

Your dodge is kinda low. You should also have the Sons of Hodir enchant on shoulders.
    Last edited by Soulfreeze; 04-25-2009 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Looked at your Armory

first off its nice seeing a DK tank using a 2 haded weapon, i think DK DW loose so much... but anyways your aviodance is low IMO, but with 41k hp i would think its your healers not doing there job... you should have 6-7 healers... 2 on each tank... no one in the raid is taking any damage besides the tanks... and the healers shoudln't wait to see the tanks health move down they should constinatnly be healing, even if you have full health... i have tanked with 35k hp and about that in avoidance just fine, when he gets to i think 105 he doeas a fury and the MT should pop everything he gots to survive while every one trys to burn him

Your gear is generally very solid which leads me to believe its definitely a healer issue. That being said, your avoidance is quite low. Unfortunately, since your Unholy spec this is more of an issue than with any of the others. Basically, UH is largely reliant on boneshield uptime in order to mitigate damage. 20% dmg reduction is a pretty incredible amount. However, the problem with boneshield is that even glyphed it only has 6 charges every 2 minutes. That means that every hit over 6 in a 2 minute window deals 20% more damage. If you stack avoidance, you take less total hits in a given window if time all else being equal. That is the only flaw I can currently see given your gear/spec. Nevertheless, it is definitely a healer issue :P

Quote Originally Posted by Voodan View Post
    Your gear is generally very solid which leads me to believe its definitely a healer issue.

Thanks, I've come to the conclusion that would have to be it, as I said we only had 5 healers, one on the MT and two on each Hateful tank, and only 2 of them were in vent or people that we even knew to begin with, we had to pug the rest.

Although my question is still up about the proper use of defensive CD's, anyone have any ideas on that?

Thanks again.

Cooldowns

I have tanked Patch a few times and really I have never ever had to use a cooldown other than UA for the extra damage.

Honestly your healers should have no problem keeping an OT up on patch.

Keep in mind I have 30k health unbuffed and nearly 50% avoidance unbuffed but still a decent healer should have absolutely no problems keeping you up.

Patch is a healer check more than anything. Even if you have good healers, but their gear is not good enough, they will run OOM before the fight is over. This seems to be the case, because you mentioned your healers could no longer keep you up after 60%. The obvious: make sure you have replenishment, save innervates for your healers, have them use mana pots and any other mana regen techniques they may have (shadow fiend, etc). It's a tough fight for healers, they have to do lots of overhealing while making smart use of their mana.

As for cooldowns: use bone shield as often as you can and IBF also as often as possible. Keep in mind he will soft-enrage at 5%, so time your IBF so you can use it then.

perhaps stack some more dodge instead of all that hitrating?

+ Reply to Thread