+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fury needs help with Gear Upgrades

Fury needs help with Gear Upgrades

Ever since I was Level 60 or I have been specced as Fury. At level 80 now, I know what gems and enchants I should be using but for life of me i can never seem to get past 25-26 Crit and and my expertise just down right sucks. Part of the problem I have had was that I had a horrible problem with my internet connection which would cause me to lag out during some boss fights so I wasn't able to run many dungeons to completion which hampered some of the gear drops I could have gotten. With that in mind I have tried to compensate for it by buying what I could or having pieces made from Guild mates and friends.

Here is my armory, the gear is correct but some reason the stats seem really low compared to what it shows in game. I know that armory on shows battle stance but I didn't think it was that big of a difference.

The World of Warcraft Armory

In game my AP is just over 4000, Crit % is at 26 and my expertise is at 5.

The reason I'm trying to make changes is one of my friends is starting a dedicated 25man Naxx team and wants me on it. Since I'm getting a new internet provider in a couple of days that is 10times faster than what I currently have I would really to join it. So if anyone out there has any suggestions on what I could change to get my crit and expertise up I would greatly appreciate it.

Also if you want a better idea of what enchants and gems Im using you can always go to WoW Heroes - World of Warcraft PvE character info & ratings and put my information in there.

Your PVP gear should be dropped in Favour of PVE gear if ur going to be joining a dedicated 25 man naxx raid IMO. If your AP is 4K in game the u should easily be pumping a minimum of 2k DPS as long as your ratation is correct. Something like BT WW then Slam on instant and when BT and WW is on cool down throw in HS as long as u have half a rage bar. As well crit gems arent needed, should gem all Stg gems IMHO. Your Hit rating NEEDs to be a min of 8% to remove chances of missing your target and try to cap your expertise, do belive its 6.5 %. hit rating comes from almost all Plate DPS gear and even some Leather and mail peices, hope this helps you, best of luck

Replace the PvP gear as soon as you can. That will be your biggest upgrades.
    Don't ever gem for Crit, as Strength scales much better. Crit chance will come with gear.
    I would gem to get your expertise up there, as it is even better than Strength until you are close to capped. Use two 8-Expertise/12-Stamina gems to get your meta bonus and the rest 16-Expertise. If you are around 25 expertise skill, stop gemming for it and start gemming for Strength, again.
    You are above 5% hit, which is all that is needed for a Fury Warrior with Precision talented. Not to say you need to drop hit, but don't gem for it.
    Your spec is good and for the most part your enchants are good. Switch your helm enchant to the Arcanum of Torment, instead of the resilience one, you can gain some crit that way. When you get non-PvP bracers or chest, you might want to take the next higher level of enchant for those slots, too.

The biggest key that I've seen for Fury Warrior DPS is effective Heroic Strike usage and staying on top of your GCD abilities. Any time you are above 40-50 rage (the number is arguable), you should be using Heroic Strike. Once you get to high gear levels, Whirlwind will be higher damage than Bloodthirst, so start using it before Bloodthirst.

That's pretty much all that I see. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by tripp6sic6 View Post
    Replace the PvP gear as soon as you can. That will be your biggest upgrades.
    Don't ever gem for Crit, as Strength scales much better. Crit chance will come with gear.
    I would gem to get your expertise up there, as it is even better than Strength until you are close to capped. Use two 8-Expertise/12-Stamina gems to get your meta bonus and the rest 16-Expertise. If you are around 25 expertise skill, stop gemming for it and start gemming for Strength, again.
    You are above 5% hit, which is all that is needed for a Fury Warrior with Precision talented. Not to say you need to drop hit, but don't gem for it.
    Your spec is good and for the most part your enchants are good. Switch your helm enchant to the Arcanum of Torment, instead of the resilience one, you can gain some crit that way. When you get non-PvP bracers or chest, you might want to take the next higher level of enchant for those slots, too.

The biggest key that I've seen for Fury Warrior DPS is effective Heroic Strike usage and staying on top of your GCD abilities. Any time you are above 40-50 rage (the number is arguable), you should be using Heroic Strike. Once you get to high gear levels, Whirlwind will be higher damage than Bloodthirst, so start using it before Bloodthirst.

That's pretty much all that I see. Good luck.
    I know I have a few piece of PVP gear and that was my first pieces that I planned on replacing. Would it be better to go back to say a level 78 blue piece for now in place of the epic or just leave the PVP piece and try to replace them doing some more heroics and not worry about going back to blues. I read all the guide here concerning fury warriors awhile back so I know that going with Strength gems is the way to go. But looking at your recommendations your saying I should drop my strength gems right now in favor of Expertise gems?

The other poster said I should be doing around 2k DPS with 4000 AP. I've been usign the exact same rotation that he mentions for a long time now but I still cant seem to break 1700 on the training dummy, self buffed. So am I doing something wrong, surely expertise isn't going to make up that 300 DPS is it?

Gemming exclusively for Expertise is a bad idea. Most of all of your Expertise comes with your Tier 7 gear.

Expertise is not more valuable than strength. Strength is your most important stat to boost, only after strength should you boost expertise/crit-rating. Boosting expertise over strength will take your dps down more than the expertise will help you.

Don't worry so much about 1700 dps against a dummy, raid damage is boosted way higher (especially in 25 man) with all of the buffs thrown around and dps against a dummy isn't THAT accurate in relation to running a raid dungeon.

The only real reason to run Naxx is better gear and no one expects you to be that geared on your first or even your second time around (especially on Naxx 25, which is mostly easier than Naxx 10 and drops better gear).
    Last edited by VikingKong; 05-01-2009 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Forgot Something

Expertise takes the ability for the boss or mob to dodge your attacks off the table, so while behing a boss they cannot block or parry you, being at 26 EXP means they cannot dodge you either. I gemmed for expertise in like 3-4 gem slots, and even though it reduced my AP, my overall DPS increased a very noticeable amount.

2-4 slots for expertise isn't bad, I was just trying to say that tripp's way of stacking 16-expertise gems until capped and then stacking strength after was a shitty idea because expertise comes naturally with better gear (which you get from running Naxx).

If you are hit capped and have a lot of str with a moderate amount of Expertise you will do fine (boosting your Expertise by a little bit may not be a bad thing, but expecting you to be capped with your current gear is insane and unrealistic).

^ I disagree.

Getting your expertise up to a reasonable level is very important,and at lower values, ExP is much more valuable than STR for increasing damage.

the thing with Fury Warriors is that our SEP values are fluid and sliding, it's why it is difficult to create things such as a Pawn scale for Fury, because the various weightings for each stat depend on what your other stats are.

thats part of why i really like landsouls spreadsheet, it has a SEP calculator that you can rerun each time you get new gear to adjust the SEP values, and it will recalculate the SEP for all the gear listed, and reorder it. Makes it realtively easy to see what is an upgrade.

So anyhow, i would say if your Expertise is low, gem for it for sure. It's the only stat I'd suggest gemming for if it's low, outside of that it's +16 STR (Or +8 STR /+12 STA or +8 STR +8 Crit) all the way.

your not doing anything wrong, that is a single target dps and generally cant be considered ur actual dps

Thanks for all the help guys, I ended up changing out my 2 purple gems to expertise gems and Ill probably just leave the rest as is for now. I think the biggest part of my problem was my internet connection. I got my new fiber optic internet connection yesterday and noticed an increase in my DPS almost immediately. I also ran 10 man Naxx the night before and I was almost 2k DPS with the few raid buffs I had and my crappy internet connection. I'm wondering if my connection was worse than I thought it was because using the exact same rotation as before I was able to get 100 to 150 more on the target dummy without changing anything after switching the internet.

+ Reply to Thread