Thread: 10 Kologarn Healing

10 Kologarn Healing

We run 2 tanks, 2 healers, 6 dps for ulduar and have been successful on FL, razor, and XT-002. We get to Kologarn and die before we can get the first arm down.

Is this a fight where 3 Healers are recommended? It seems one is always the focus of the eye beam and the other can't keep us all up. How does everyone else run this?

3 Healers was the only way we were able to do it. One of our DPS has a good set of healing gear and switches for this fight. The enrage timer is long so no need to rush DPS.

Make sure you have enough ranged AOE to burn down adds quick enough to free up the OT for swapping.

We are finding that most fights become much easier with 3 healers in Ulduar

With only 2 healers, this fight might be a lot more difficult since you might have a chance when he will grip one of your healers. In our 10s, we usually run 2 healers, 6 DPS and 2 tanks through FL, Ignis, Razor and Deconstructor. Then we have our Shadow Priest respec Disc for our 3rd healer for the bosses after that expect Auriaya.

This is what we use for this encounter: Disc priest - Tanks | Resto Shammy and Druid - Raid

Quote Originally Posted by ~Luffie~ View Post
    This is what we use for this encounter: Disc priest - Tanks | Resto Shammy and Druid - Raid
    Our 10man group has been having great success with this healer setup. Bubbles + HoTs + Chain Heal is made of win.

Our healer setup is resto shaman, holy priest. if we run 3 our ret pally will just respec holy. Definately gonna give it a try though.

We did it with 2 priests. One disc priest in melee range healing the tank, one holy priest standing back, healing everyone else, and the tank whenever the disc priest was knocked down or grabbed.

Make sure your tanks switch frequently. We switched right before a second debuff was applied.

Spec your Holy priest with body and soul, and he can sprint whoever gets eye beams with his PW:S

We did it with 3 healers, there's so much damage in this fight that it's better to play it safe.

I'll make a further note that on 10 man the debuff frequently drops off the tanks if they have good avoidance without them getting 2 stacks as it's a physical attack.
    The arm doesn't need a tank also.

Our 10 man ran 3 healers, and 6 on our 25 man. As a Holy priest, this is one of those rare fights where Prayer of Healing rocks. Having a priest doing 2 of these in your 10 man immediately after a swipe should nearly top off the group very quickly. On 25 man I usually do 2-3 depending on how much other raid healing was done in the meantime. I'd say it's probably pretty stressful for your healers to do this with only 2.

Weird we had the complete opposite experience. This was the first fight we tried with 2 healers, and we found it made it easier for us. It can be an extremely fast fight with 6 dps.

Our healer setup is holy priest/resto shaman. Granted sometimes the shammy (me) drops nature resist totem since the left arm swipe and the beam are all nature damage that helps mitigate.

A couple things we learned to make it easier with 2 healers:

-Make sure melee is stacked on MT, they should never be targeted with beams.
    -Only have ranged burn the adds, melee stay on boss.
    -Have OT taunt when adds are down if MT has debuff.
    -Make sure your melee is actually meleeing the right arm. It is easy for melee to be positioned incorrectly and not do white damage on the arm, but still hit with yellow damage. The easiest positioning is right on top of the MT, facing his body, it's awkward since you aren't near the right arm but it works!

The real key to 2 healers is high dps imo. People should hardly take any damage when gripped because they are being broken out asap.

That being said, we generally run a dead even 5/5 melee/caster split. The less casters you run the higher the chances that your healers will be targeted by the beam, and the harder this fight would be with 2 healers imo.

My guild tried it over the weekend with 3 healers, and we were just confounded... For about 12 tries we died around the time the right arm was first killed. Adds weren't going around killing people... We were announcing in vent before tank switching.. We were killing the right arm right around the time the first MT got 2 stacks.. sometimes even before the second stack was applied to the tank...

We had a disc priest on the MT, a holy priest for healing the left arm damage, and a paladin with the beacon on the tank for keeping right hand ppl alive and raid healing.

I heard a lot of comments that it was from one of them having to run from an eyebeam, or getting gripped, or bad timing on the left arm swipe..

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Benolan View Post
    My guild tried it over the weekend with 3 healers, and we were just confounded... For about 12 tries we died around the time the right arm was first killed. Adds weren't going around killing people... We were announcing in vent before tank switching.. We were killing the right arm right around the time the first MT got 2 stacks.. sometimes even before the second stack was applied to the tank...

We had a disc priest on the MT, a holy priest for healing the left arm damage, and a paladin with the beacon on the tank for keeping right hand ppl alive and raid healing.

I heard a lot of comments that it was from one of them having to run from an eyebeam, or getting gripped, or bad timing on the left arm swipe..

Thoughts?
    You died as the Right arm went down?

Did your melee die first?

If so i'm almost certain that as the adds spawned your OT did an AOE taunt which also taunted the boss. Since the OT is out of Kologarns melee range he will use petrfying breath and wipe the raid.

Tell your OT not to AOE taunt.

Nope.. I was the OT, actually and I only did a shockwave/Thunderclap then called for AoE.. How we died seemed to vary some but repeat itself a lot.. a healer would get grabbed and die right before we killed the arm.. Or we would kill the arm and the elementals. I went over to Kologarn, announced I was taunting him, waited a sec and taunted, then died a couple seconds later... Or the left arm sweep would happen as one healer was otherwise occupied... One time I understood why we died because a healer was picked up by the arm while another had to run from the eyebeams at the same time..

I'm trying to figure out we just needed to be smarter on assigning the healers backup assignments when one can't heal at that second, or if we just were undergeared.. we've killed FL, XT-002 and Razor.. Kologarn doesn't seem that complicated or out of our reach... I'm at a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Benolan View Post
    Nope.. I was the OT, actually and I only did a shockwave/Thunderclap then called for AoE.. How we died seemed to vary some but repeat itself a lot.. a healer would get grabbed and die right before we killed the arm.. Or we would kill the arm and the elementals. I went over to Kologarn, announced I was taunting him, waited a sec and taunted, then died a couple seconds later... Or the left arm sweep would happen as one healer was otherwise occupied... One time I understood why we died because a healer was picked up by the arm while another had to run from the eyebeams at the same time..

I'm trying to figure out we just needed to be smarter on assigning the healers backup assignments when one can't heal at that second, or if we just were undergeared.. we've killed FL, XT-002 and Razor.. Kologarn doesn't seem that complicated or out of our reach... I'm at a loss.
    TBH it just sounds like your healers are a little off their game. Kologarn is a little bit of a step up from Razor and XT.

Have 1 healer focus on the MT and then ask the other 2 healers to focus on both the raid and the OT. Then ask them to cover MT if the MT healer is gripped.

TBH even with only moderate raid DPS the right arm should generally be dieing almost immeditaely after it grips someone.

One thing worth noting is the adds debuff the OT so you need to let that wear off before you taunt off the MT.