+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gear Check for Level 80 Prot Warrior

Gear Check for Level 80 Prot Warrior

I've been collecting prot pieces here and there from our raids and I'm thinking of being a full time time for my guild. I just need to know if I have good enough gear and if so, where do I start?

The World of Warcraft Armory

My first question is what do you plan to be raiding? If it's Naxx 10, you are very close to being ready. Drop the Strength gem from the gloves so that you can get to 540 Defense. Actually, you may want to consider dropping all the gems that have strength on them, and replace them with Defense, avoidance (Dodge), or Expertise. Strength is good if you are an add tank for the block, but it does little good when your the MT.

Overall, you've put together a decent starting set. Of course there are many upgrades to be had, but that's why you're looking to raid. Your number one priority is to get to 540 Defense. With out being there, you can be crit by raid bosses, which we can all agree is a bad thing.

Looks very good for starting raids in Nax10. Basically you need to replace any str/stam gem with expertise/stam and any straight str gems with str expertise. Try to take advantage of socket bonuses wherever possible.

First on your priority list should be getting your hands on the Seal of the Pantheon - Item - World of Warcraft (out of Normal Halls of Lighting) to make your life much easier with regard to maintaining the 540+ defense.

Once you have that then you should switch your helm meta to a 32stam/2% armor Austere Earthsiege Diamond - Item - World of Warcraft

I didn't notice any enchant on your chest, you could throw 275 life on there. Also you could get 40 stam to wrists if you are happy with your current ones. Replace hand enchant with either expertise, armsman or 18stam kit.

If you get that stuff taken care of you should be in great shape for Nax10 and likely fine for Nax25 as well if you have your rotation figured out:
    http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f56/4...-rotation.html

EDIT: Your goal is to reach the soft cap for expertise of 26 (hard cap is 57). Expertise > Str because it provides both mitigation as well as increased TPS/DPS as it reduces the chance that you will be parry gibbed due to reducing the chance that you will be dodged/parried. 26 expertise eliminates the chance to be dodged and 57 eliminates the chance to be parried (don't worry about hitting hard cap).
    Last edited by Squirrelnut; 04-30-2009 at 09:20 AM.

Ok, I got my def rating to 544. I replaced my strength gems for expertise and my str/stam gems for expert/stam. My expertise rating is 20 but still working on it. I put armsman on my gloves and put 40 stam to bracers, as well as 275hp to chest.

Gonna work on getting that trinket.

I want to start tanking Naxx10, mainly as the OT but if I have to MT it I want to have the gear to do it.

Thanks for the advise and comments.

Quick note on your spec

Basically whatever works for you is good. I did notice that you put points in impale but not deep wounds. Generally warrior tanks spec into arms for deep wounds. You can take 3 points from cruelty as crit is not a vital stat for tanks. Again, if you feel comfortable, just stay with what you got. On the protection tree you put points into improved disarm. This is more of a pvp ability and you would be better served putting those two points into incite. Of course that leads to some other small changes because incite is related to heroic strike, cleave, and thunderclap. On your arms tree, Heroic strike is not something you will use for anything but bosses, but 3 points in improved heroic strike and 2 points in charge will help with rage starvation. I like to max out improved thunder clap(taking 3 points from shield spec) and I also use the major glyph for cleave and the minor glyph of thunderclap. The battleshout minor glyph becomes less important in raids because other buffs from other types of toons will be stronger (sometimes). Not every warrior spams cleave for trash but I do and its extremely effective. The glyph of revenge is nice when you combine with the glyph of heroic strike and both are used on bosses. Since I OT most of the time I stay geared for trash/adds. Just some thoughts. Hopefully this helps.

Bung
    Last edited by Bung; 04-30-2009 at 11:11 AM.

I redid some of my talents, I was pvp prot but I think I got it down to a more raid build.

+ Reply to Thread