+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Arms off spec upgrade priority?

Arms off spec upgrade priority?

I realized I logged out in my off-spec DPS gear last night so I thought it would be a good time to ask about what should be my next gear upgrade priority?

Armory Link: The World of Warcraft Armory
    (still seems like the armory is not showing stats correctly)

I am a Prot tank to the core but enjoy being able to switch and DPS to let others tank a bit so I want to optimize my Off Spec Arms DPS gear as much as possible. Any suggestions on what I should be looking to upgrade as well as any possible gem/enchant changes would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Squirrelnut; 04-29-2009 at 08:39 AM.

Also I was not sure how exactly to calculate what my Armor Penetration % is from looking at my armory page and what the minimum other stats would be to make it more effective to switch to Arp gemming. Since the discussion has seemed to go back and forth with regard to Arp I have simply left all my STR gems alone for the time being. Should I look into changing that?

EDIT: How worthwhile would it be to buy a nobles deck off the AH and get the Greatness trink to replace my whetstone trinket?

*whistles*

Nice gear. Grab that head glyph from Ebon Blade. Maybe swap out your AP Boots Enchant for Icewalker, seeing as you're not hit capped yet.

Basically -- going forward you're going to want to prioritize gear with Armor Penetration. Look for gear with Expertise and Hit on it too.. as you're not capped for those yet.

Edit:

Just saw your second post. I wouldn't regem Armor Pen personally.

I love my greatness deck. It would probably be even better if I were fury but the thing procs all the damn time. I'd say during a fight it's active for 15 seconds out of every 45 seconds.

I know armory is kind of broken right now so my expertise is lower than it is (I'm 27 in game) and my crit is as well (I'm at around 31% in game).

But this is what I'm currently rolling with: The World of Warcraft Armory

Just holding out for an Ironsoul. To give you an idea of how I do... I managed 4900 DPS on XT in Ulduar 10 last night with a bloodlust.

My armor pen is only 11% from items, and then the 10% from battle stance.
    Last edited by Skyborn; 04-29-2009 at 08:39 AM.

I completely forgot about the head enchant thanks! For some reason expertise is not showing correctly on the armory and I think other stats are having a similar issue. My main spec tank gear for example I have something like 33+ expertise but yesterday the armory was only showing like 26.

I will look into Icewalker, what is the hit # I should be looking for? Is it the same as prot warrior (266)?

266, 264 -- I can't really remember. You just need 8% when you mouseover your hit rating in game.

How do you see your armor pen %? Am I just being stupid and not seeing it somewhere in the armory or do you actually go through and add up all the Armor pen from each item and then do a calculation to turn that into a percentage?

Well, armory is completely worthless when it comes to armor pen. It just doesn't track it like it should.

You'll have to do it in game. Just mouse over your hit number and you'll see part of the tooltip will be your armor pen rating and %. That's only from gear. Then you'll have to manually add 10% from battle stance and 15% from your mace spec talents.

Sweet thanks. So I start out with 25% just from battle stance & mace spec? I'll check tonight and see what percent I am at with items included. Any idea what I should be shooting for with regard to armor pen %? Last I looked at the Arms thread I don't think I saw anything definitive other then attempting to get as much as possible.

Personally I'm attempting to get my armor pen up to 15-20% from gear and let battle stance/mace spec do the rest. But I know others have been stacking way more armor pen than that and seen some good results.

Hopefully Lizana and/or Kazey will hop in post in this thread because I know they have both been experimenting with deep armor pen builds. They've regemed and are probably sitting at 65-80% armor pen (I know when Lizana's trinket procs s/he goes above 100% armor pen) so they could probably speak from experience.

263 hit is the cap.

Part of ArP is having Sunder Armor up. Sunder Armor + Battle Stance + Mace Spec gives you a much higher rating. If there isn't a warrior tank, make sure a fury warrior throws down Sunder Armor x5 (Arms don't have rotation time to use it efficiently).

When you feel that you have the necessary amount of ArP, stack your crit. Getting it up high enough will make WC push it into the 40% range. Then your attacks will be extremely devestating.

26 is the expertise soft cap.

That's the problem with being a warrior MT, usually if I ever do actually go off-spec for some reason it means I usually don't have a Prot warrior doing devastate/sunder and we are light on fury warriors Oh well, even with that I pulled #2 dps on a 25m Lotheb fight yesterday when letting one of our alt DK tanks MT not too shabby for an off spec just trying to remember what to press for the Arms rotation I don't have committed to muscle memory yet (yes we did Nax *sigh* guild issues).

As far as high Arp builds.... I am trying it out and loving it on single target dps... I sit at 60% arp pre procs, pre any other debuffs on the boss, so i am a lot higher than most people would stack it. I am still trying to figure out how to model DR for it though... i wouldnt stack the amounts i am unless you just want to see those insane crit numbers, that is until we figure out when it stops having such a high value. I recomend my arms warriors to shoot for 45% arp from gear + mace + battle stance atm...

Quote Originally Posted by Lizana View Post
    I recomend my arms warriors to shoot for 45% arp from gear + mace + battle stance atm...
    So if Battle Stance is 10% and maces are 15% that means that the independent ArP rating (through gear, not procs or debuffs) should probably be around 15-20%?

That's... much easier than I thought it would be.

Thats a safe value to shoot for, assuming you have the grim toll trinket. After that i currently recommending stacking AP and picking up other ARP gear as it comes along.

I checked last night and actually my gear alone right now I am sitting @ about 19% arm pen with all my gems for str/crit. So with 25% from Battle Stance & Mace Spec I am looking at about 44% Arm Pen at the moment.

I put the enchant on my head and I switched my boot enchant to Ice Walker so my hit is up to 259 (no food or anything)

I am still using the MoT and Whetstone trinkets so I am thinking I will likely grab a Greatness trink off the AH (I never get to roll on good trinkets like FotFF cause DPS is my off spec, same with Grim Toll)

I forgot to logoff as DPS after we downed Kologarn last night, i'll try to switch back tonight for people to add additional suggestions.

+ Reply to Thread