+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best 3.1 Tanking weap for DKs or new top 5?

Best 3.1 Tanking weap for DKs or new top 5?

Just interested in your thoughts. The thing that made ID tops was the added avoidance. I'm starting to think that a lot of the weaps with high agil while maintaining decent AP might be better to get my dodge up.

I was thinking the same. I got a 219 axe and it's still not half as good as the Inevitable Defeat. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a 2Her with strength and agility in Ulduar, at least not yet discovered.

Hard mode weapons have sockets in them, so they're probably going to have nice flexibility for DK tanks.

Thats what I was thinking. The only reason I asked is we had Worldcarver drop last night and our loot council gave it to a DK tank saying it was the best tanking weap in game, when the tank had ID, and one of our dps DKs was using a crappy polearm. Looking at everything today it looks like the Ulduar version of the Jawbone.

I'm actually thinking I might try for the Furious weaps for my tanking weap. Even the 1850 rating ones hit over 1000 dmg range, have 2 gems slots 180 stam and a bunch of AP, Crit, and Resil which doesn't hurt for tanking.
    Last edited by Skrimshaw; 04-29-2009 at 08:45 AM.

Our DK tank picked up Rune Edge - Item - World of Warcraft last night...

Don't get me wrong, I don't think ID is better than everything in Ulduar, it's just that ID had an arguably perfect allocation of stats, and there's no weapon in Ulduar with a similar allocation.

If I had to pick my top 5, It'd be something like this:
    1. Worldcarver - Item - World of Warcraft
    2. Voldrethar, Dark Blade of Oblivion - Item - World of Warcraft
    3. Earthshaper - Item - World of Warcraft
    4. Rune Edge - Item - World of Warcraft
    5. Inevitable Defeat - Item - World of Warcraft
    ...with BoH a close 6th.

1: Voldrethar, Dark Blade of Oblivion - Item - World of Warcraft
    2: Aesir's Edge - Item - World of Warcraft
    3: Abaddon - Item - World of Warcraft
    4: Earthshaper - Item - World of Warcraft
    5: Worldcarver - Item - World of Warcraft

Not nessesarily in that order, but i would say those are very HOT tanking items, as im Human i would prefere the swords with sockets, either is fine, stats are so close to each other so won't matter...

Other than that, the Furious Gladiator's has become hot topics if one has access to them... IMO

I'm suprised no one mentioned Dark Edge of Depravity on those lists. Lotrafen would be next to Rune Edge imo.

Honestly, I think you guys are undervaluing weapon dps. Stats on a tanking weapon, while nice, are not critical. BoH is widely considered by DK tanks to be better than IE. But what it really boils down to is what you're wanting out of your weapon. For EH, Aesir's Edge or voldrethar would be the best. For pure threat, I would say either worldcarver or voldrethar. It really depends on what you're looking for. Also, keep weapon speed in mind. Earthshaper gets a very nice boost due to its slow weapon speed (because a good portion of most DK tanks tps comes from strikes, unless this has been normalized in which case I would be mistaken).

It's all a matter of survival and threat.

There is not a single weapon in the game that can beat Inevitable Defeat for survival value. NOTHING picks up more avoidance/health, period. That said some of the agi/stam weapons can sport respectable avoidance, only you trade all of your strength for an inferior value of AP.

For threat, it's pretty simple, nothing can beat Vordrethar. It has the highest dps available (and that's a significant factor as Voodan pointed out), and it has 2 sockets which can boost its value farther beyond that.

Personally, I'm favoring World Carver for my threat setup. I'll lose avoidance on the weapon, but I'll be netting good gains from the rest of my Conquerer tanking gear, so it will be an acceptable loss for the sake of threat. Vordrethar is sexy, though I'm not expecting to be farming Vezax on hard-mode any time soon, Earthshaper is sexy as well, but with my ideal upgrades from Ulduar the stats on Worldcarver are actually slightly preferable (I also have no racials to support weapon type). Rune Edge (preferable to Lotrafen, 20 stam is no small margin) is nice, but I don't know if I'm willing to give up SO much stam for the sake of keeping the superior avoidance of agility. I'm also a bit torn, as upgrading ID to Worldcarver will lose me a major chunk of crit as well.

In short, none of the Ulduar weapons win for survival, but they can't help but win for threat. I won't be racing to sell my ID though, it will be in my bags indefinitely.

So who wants to petition Blizz with me to add a similarly attributed weapon to 25-man Ulduar?!
    Last edited by Satorri; 04-30-2009 at 05:47 AM.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Inevitale Defeat is amazing. Outright 100% amazing.

Ill toss in an aside in for 10man loot, and what I currently look for in a Two-hander.
    Since getting hit capped is something that we should shoot for (without sacraficing our surviability) I find that my weapon is the most readily and best way to grab solid +Hit among +stam and +str. Since I focus primarily on 10mans, the best 4 from 10man content(given my choices):
    1) Abbandon (Yogg-10)
    2) StormEDGE (thanks Molohk for the correction) (Hodir-10)
    3) Death's Bite (KT-10)
    4) Titansteel Destroyer (crafted)

all four provide solid +Hit, +stam, and str. Giving me the flexibility to focus on avoidance and survival on my other peices of gear.
    Last edited by Mecer; 04-30-2009 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mecer View Post
    2) Stormherald (Hodir-10)
    LoL, I think you mean stormedge. Although I miss the days of stormherald stunlocks :P

Quote Originally Posted by Molohk View Post
    LoL, I think you mean stormedge. Although I miss the days of stormherald stunlocks :P

woops! thanks for the correction, at work so wowhead is blocked hah.

Dark Edge will be my eventual threat weapon, but for the immeidate future the only weapon I want in Uld25 is Worldcarver. I really could stand to pick up some of that expertise it has, and as an Orc...its an axe.

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

Mmmmm that's a lot of Stam. I may have to get back into arenas, that would be sweet for my PURE health set.

I went online and did some math, and I think Rune Edge is the best survival weapon post ID, it actually gains you 0.7-0.9% more dodge though at the expense of a decent chunk of AP (and obviously a lot of lost expertise).
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

That's a retarded weapon, that Furious weapon. However you need to get a 2200 rating on the sucker so it`s not going to be achievable by any easy means to be honest.

On a PvE standpoint, I'd stay with Worldcarver for the Expertise. If you're capped (And if you are, you're pretty damn good. o.O) Then a threat weapon would be best: Earthshaper, Rune Edge or Voldrethar are all good choices.

But my choice stands with Worldcarver.

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

i'm calling for Worldcarver or Rune Edge. those the Earthshaper is probably my 3rd choice

+ Reply to Thread