+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Improving my threat (frost tank)

Improving my threat (frost tank)

After tanking with my warrior for a while, I decided to start tanking with my DK instead. My sustained tps is slowly increasing, but it's not nearly where I need it to be (I could easily do 6k sustained tps on my warrior, and my DK is still bellow 5k).

Last weekend I PuGed naxx25, just so I could get a wws report on Patchwerk and do some analysis. Looking at my wws report, I came to a few conclussions (some of them I already suspected) but I was hoping the more experienced DKs could give me some advice, especially on my usage of abilities.

Instead of an actual rotation, I try to use some kind of priority/selection system:
    1. Keep frost fever and blood plague up
    2. Use OB when I have UF runes available, using death runes when available
    3. Use BS only when I have a blood rune available, to turn it into a death rune
    4. Macro RS to my skills
    5. Use FS when I have more than 50 RP (a bit more if I need to save RP for mind freeze or something)

Based on the wws and threat reports, here's some of the stuff I think I need to change:
    • I should make better use of Rime procs. In wws I can see it procced 10 times, but I only used HB 6 times. With glyphed HB, this would also help cut down on ITs.
    • I should make better use of Killing Machine procs. I haven't been paying attention for these procs, so odds are I could be wasting them on IT. It seems like FB is the best way to use a KM proc.
    • My RS rate seems kind of low (32 Rune Strikes and 49 normal swings). I currently have RS macroed into IT, OB, BS and FS, not sure what else to do here, or if this is normal given my current avoidance.
    • I don't use blood tap enough. I'm thinking about using it for my opener, and also when I have 3 or 4 of my UF runes on CD.

One big problem seems to be initial threat. With my warrior I had the perfect high-threat opener with shield slam, but on my DK if I start with IT and PS, I have pretty low threat during those 2 first GCDs. I need to experiment with new opening rotations, like HB->PS->(rune tap)->OB->BS.

As a reference, here are the links to my armory, wws report, and tps report:
    The World of Warcraft Armory
    Wow Web Stats
    Benlinus produced 4386 tps vs Patchwerk

Is there anything else I might be doing wrong or overlooking? Any advice will be greatly apreciated.

BL

There's a few discussions in the theory forum about DK frost. Might want to check those out.

In the mean time, moving this to the armory forum.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

DK's most important stats is dodge and parry, because whenyou parry/dodge you gain Rune Strike wich does most threat of all dks abilitys, and what I seen from your armory is abit low parry/dodge.
    Allso a point on Deathchill will help a lot.
    Instead of Morbidity put the points on Epidemic & Death chill or Icy Talons and Deathchill and Killing Machine.
    That's all I can say for sure.

BTW, I think my armory is currently bugged. IIRC my unbuffed dodge is around 24%, and armory shows 17.6 o.O

1st point, expertise
    expertise, as you probably know, reduces a bosses chance to dodge/parry your attacks. try changing the twilight opals for ones with expertise instead of str.
    2nd, change your sigil. try get sigil of awareness. increases ur obliterates damage, or the unfaltering knight (iirc) increases your def rating, it procs alot and youll be dodging/parrying alot more.
    3rd, i highly recommend you spec into chill of the grave. the extra runic power available means more rune strikes and more frost strikes, frost strikes not being able to be dodged parried or miss are a great threat cannon alongside extra runestrikes. alongside that i would also recommend epidemic, even just one rank. each of your dual rune abilities hit harder and thus do more threat, the less time refreshing diseases the more time blasting and obliting.
    finally: two handed weapon specialization. 4% increase damage with 2h weapons. meaning 4% more damage with all of your melee abilites

as to what to spec out of to grab those talents
    i would recommend removing virulence and morbidity, although they both have their advantages you will have to weigh up their usefulness by comparing their effectiveness + your threat output compared to other talents and their effectiveness and threat output.

hope ive been helpful, lemme know how you go.

Good Spec: The World of Warcraft Armory

Switch rune mastery for Icy reach, makes aoe easier.

Rotation: Howling Blast, Blood Strike x2, Oblit, Frost strike w/ Rune strike macroed to it. Use HB everytime it is cooled down.

Easy 7k TPS on patch

Quote Originally Posted by Molohk View Post
    BTW, I think my armory is currently bugged. IIRC my unbuffed dodge is around 24%, and armory shows 17.6 o.O

Armory doesn't show: Food,pot,spells,talents or any other buff your stats have.

just to add to soulfreezes suggested rotation, if u have epidemic i'd throw in a plague strike too, this can unbalance your rotation a lil if your not mindful of when u put it in but as long as its before your oblits and bloodstrikes your doing good, using rune tap helps to sneak in that extra rune you need for a balanced rotation if you include plague strike.

+ Reply to Thread