+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Ulduar General Vezax

Vent usually allows you to park a "ghost" in any channel you need to listen to but not actually speak in. Save yourself the trouble of extra keybinds

Our rogues actually just bound a macro'd whisper and /say to the other team to their kick. They did have it in /RW, but we couldn't hear the ones we needed to, through all the spam!

/w rogue2 "Yer up next. I kicked this one (I hope)
    /say Team 1 Kicked
    /cast [target = general Vezax] kick

Something like that.

But - what I would like to know from those in the know is whether the spell we need to interrupt is cast on a regular timer or not. Seemed to be about every 10 seconds or so BUT I swear there were several occassions where he appeared to cast the ability we needed to interrupt back to back i.e. i'd kick and a split second later he was casting it again. This did kinda mean anticipating the interrupts was tricky. Anyone know?
    The timer is now the lengh of the spell lockout from the interrupt used. That is, he will cast Searing flames again as soon as he is able. Shamans (I think it's them, sorry if not) have a 3 sec interrupt ability. Basically, instruct people to not use any ability of this sort, as it will lead to chained casts and people still on CD.

As a paladin tank in full 226/couple of 232/245 items on 10 man.

Mana regen from BoSanc and SA 1/2 was not enough, indeed I am not sure that 2/2 SA would have been enough, to maintain a full rotation. I found myself standing still at the surges and skipping shield wall in the hope that the additional damage would result in more mana being restored, however I found myself calling for a mana cloud at around 35% as I was almost completely dry, even with dropping consecrate completely.

Has anyone got any tips other than share the green goop with the healers.

I havent tanked Vezax 25 since the patch, can a paladin simply pop avoidance trinkets (i.e. heart of iron and seal of llane) and rely on AD to mitigate enough of his damage in the surge phase when divine protection is on cooldown or do I still need to kite him? My tank colleagues (especially the deathknight) would never let it drop if I said "heck im going to to a deathknight and soak the damage" and then drop dead from the incoming hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrea View Post
    Mana regen from BoSanc and SA 1/2 was not enough, indeed I am not sure that 2/2 SA would have been enough, to maintain a full rotation.
    1/2 SA + BoSanc is definately not going to be enough mana return for a full 226 geared pally on ten man. Heck, it's probably not going to be enough on 25 either. I spent much of our last 25 man kill OOM, even had stop my rotation completely 10-15 seconds before surge to make sure I had enough mana to pop bubble wall. Even at 2/2 SA, a "bad" avoidance streak will kill our mana.

I don't understand why blizz gimped us so badly on this fight. They have hunters, ret pallies, and enhancement shaman a "free pass" on the mana thing. They could easily have doubled the amount of mana we get back from SA or BoSanc for this particular fight. Prot paladins rely on having divine plea up 100% of the time to maintain our rotation, it is a huge part of our mana return, but it has no effect in the encounter.

I have tanked this one numerous times on 10 and 25 man and haven't had any significant issues with mana. I am 2/2 SA but I agree, that should make that much of a difference. I don't even stay in for the Surge, have always kited him. Now on the hard mode, if you can make it to about 35% I promise you want have any problems with mana with GV and the add beating on you

Wish I could tell you what the difference is, I use my typical rotation with occasionally skipping Avenger Shield to make sure I have it after the kite.

my rotation consisted of holy shield, hammer, judge and "shield slam". Consecrate was never pressed. I never really use avenger's shield while tanking anyway, and with maana being more precious than water in the desert would not have been used anyway.

I really do not understand why blizzard cannot enable divine plea mana regeneration for paladins specced into hammer of the righteous on this fight, that would at least solve the resource issue. no healer would specc so deep into prot simply for the mana regen, heck, place a blanket reduction in healing done by 100% other than judgement of light and lay on hands if need be.

A Prot pala without mana is about as useless as a dead dps.

on a side note, how do you guys recommend picking up the animus after it spawned, half the tries we got to the animus phase it killed a healer before I could target it. A /target macro perhaps?

on a side note, how do you guys recommend picking up the animus after it spawned, half the tries we got to the animus phase it killed a healer before I could target it. A /target macro perhaps?
    My few times at trying it on 10 man, he always spawned on my 4th kite, which just so happened to be the one where I went right where he spawned. So just a quick HoReckoning and Avenger Shield and I had him. No luck on getting him down though. We could kill the Animus but would lose a ranged from the AoE damage and start dieing from Shadow Crashes on the melee and myself.

I understand that alot of people do not kite him, but on trying the hard mode, it seemed that the extra healing needed on the surges plus the lack of mana return from popping the clouds was too much on the healers. So I stayed specced 2/2 in PoJ and kiting him is cake. Have been specced that way since our first attempts on this guy and haven't changed since. Never have problems with DPS so no worrying about enrage timers from kiting him. I tank him on 10 and 25 man almost every week. The only thing that seems to wipe us is if someone misses an interrupt
    Last edited by Jekaster; 08-24-2009 at 09:33 PM. Reason: addition

In the non kite strat you try to engage GV where he starts so simple aoe and tabbing can pick up the animus.

wound poisen?

bout to take on vezax for the first time on 10 man and need to know if wound poisen will work for his soft enrage empowered darkness i believe its called

Quote Originally Posted by kelestalas View Post
    bout to take on vezax for the first time on 10 man and need to know if wound poisen will work for his soft enrage empowered darkness i believe its called
    You're thinking of Surge of Darkness. No you can't remove that by any means, your tank will have to kite him or use a CD.

Quote Originally Posted by hvidgaard View Post
    You're thinking of Surge of Darkness. No you can't remove that by any means, your tank will have to kite him or use a CD.
    Not neccesarilly true, we downed him 2 nights ago in a 25 man and we just tanked through it with a druid tank. It took us quite some tries due to minor mistakes. [people not directly under the boss for shadowcrash avoidance, people killing vapors directly UNDER the boss so the dps died, not enough interupts on his flame attack thingie, and so on]

But it was done quite well. And although 4 hours trying to get a boss which makes druidhealing utterly boring because you only have to press rejuvenation once every 15 sec, i'm still damn proud of us =]

what add ons are being used in video id like them

Quote Originally Posted by Léonin View Post
    We found that Hymm of Hope does work. Shadowfiend does not
    might i suggest that the thing that "works" is the intel buff? grants you essentially 3-5k mana depending on your pool/class for like 10sec.

I just did this fight tonight for the first time as a prot pally. Never before was I able to tank this because we just don't have enough CDs and I didn't have another pally in my raid group for another CD. Tonight I did.

What I found was really disturbing. I had, literally, unlimited mana as ret. I would be as 50% mana, then bam, I would be full. Tonight though, I was so low on mana, even without consacration, that I couldn't even hit divine protection. It was just horrible.

What causes my ret pally to get from 50% to 100% suddenly? It's not my replenishment either, because that's only a few mana at a time, which is a big burst of mana. Then, if I tried to heal, it used to stop all my mana regen altogether and I couldn't do anything but auto attack.

my rotation consisted of holy shield, hammer, judge and "shield slam". Consecrate was never pressed. I never really use avenger's shield while tanking anyway, and with maana being more precious than water in the desert would not have been used anyway.

I really do not understand why blizzard cannot enable divine plea mana regeneration for paladins specced into hammer of the righteous on this fight, that would at least solve the resource issue. no healer would specc so deep into prot simply for the mana regen, heck, place a blanket reduction in healing done by 100% other than judgement of light and lay on hands if need be.

A Prot pala without mana is about as useless as a dead dps.

Take away LoH and you have taken away a CD that is needed for alot of pally tanks to actually pull this off. It's already difficult to tank as a pally. All the other classes have several CDs for this.

+ Reply to Thread