+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ulduar General Vezax

Ulduar General Vezax

Surge of Darkness: In this video, it's mentioned that Pain Suppression and Hand of Sacrifice can be used for a Paladin or Warrior tank to avoid kiting. We found this was risky in 25-man because he can land a hit immediately after these wear off immediately prior to the 10-second Surge of Darkness buff. To reliably use a Warrior or Paladin tank and avoid kiting, these buffs must be staggered to cover the full duration.

UI/ADDON INFORMATION:
    Lore's UI (10 Man Videos): http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f211/...lore-s-ui.html
    Ciderhelm's UI (25 Man Videos): http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f211/...formation.html
    Please post any questions about UI/Addon's in their respective threads and not in this thread
    Last edited by Aliena; 01-25-2010 at 09:39 AM.

Looking forward to Video, we are on this boss tonight. Be nice to know how you guys dealt with it.

Great work as always!

Last night in 10man I was able to kite effectively 90% of the time. By running out at the start of the cast, in a straight line w/Tuskar's Vitality, I was able to avoid Surge of Darkness (warrior tank).

For what its worth, I think you need pretty good anticipation & reflexes, our very good druid tank was having issues getting out in time while in bear form. Another option is to intervene for a quick speed boost.

Holy Priests have a godlike talent for that: Body and Soul
    Give them cookies 'till they spec into it, you'll love it.

cant wait!

Movie up and donor download will be available in just a minute.

In this video, we have also determined that a Druid > Warrior.

Cider was not happy about this. >.>

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

hey guys, can anyone tell me how do l get that ui as shown in the vid.?? l am really tired of mine. It's so full.

Tnx for the incoming help

Quote Originally Posted by Krenian View Post
    In this video, we have also determined that a Druid > Warrior.

Cider was not happy about this. >.>
    Lore's video!

Did you have a DK MT'ing for this fight? Or am i just not seeing raid frames correctly.

I play a DK tank im my guild i tanked first phase of Mimiron as it was easier for me to pop cooldowns on every Blast.

Again with this fight wouldnt a DK with 15% move speed from Unholy Aura (Specced into Unholy do it work with frost) work well for this fight also if they had to kite?

Death Knight and Druid do not need to kite. The fight is a lot more stable without needing to move. For this reason, run speed bonuses and shifting forms don't really have an impact on the encounter.

For kiting, Warriors probably do a little better because of Intervene, but it should be genuinely easy for both a Warrior and Paladin to quickly run away if they're watching the cast bar closely. While I was kiting I had zero problems running away even when I was unable to get a target to Intervene.

As a druid if you shift to cat form the second the cast starts it makes kiting so much easier. I have successfully tanked this boss 4 times (twice on a druid in 25 and twice on a warrior in 10 man) in 10 attempts I have gotten hit twice. Once I knew I was going to get hit and once I ran into a pit in the floor and couldn't get out of it. A few times while learning the fight I went to cat but now I find it unnecessary. I also do not have run speed to boots on either character.

If you have your camera looking at you from behind the boss as soon as you see the cast bar hit both your mouse buttons and your character will turn in that direction and start running. This will save you a good second on kiting and make intervene shifting even run speed not needed.

This is also the one fight where having a warrior or a druid tank or a DPS warrior or warlock is a must. We tried tanking this with a pally tank in 10 man, did not work. Simply got hit way to hard even with blocking 2K off every attack. I logged on my warrior tanked it, demo shout made him hit significantly less. Downed it 1st attempt on my warrior after an hour of wiping without demo.

We used a DK tank for this when we killed him last week and he was able to cooldown through every surge phase without any movement. It made the fight pretty stable.

On the negative side, for melee DPS (I went Arms for the fight) it becomes quite possibly the most boring fight ever created and pretty close to Patchwerk Mk II if you aren't on interrupts.

Don't think I'll be trying to tank him any time too soon, though. DK was just too good for the fight.

On the attempt we killed him on, Rogues missed a kick rotation and an armor debuff got through and our DK still had no trouble at all surviving with his backup cooldowns.

Thanks for info on Death Knight guys, i thought it might work well with DK tanking. But meh try telling that to a Warrior tank. They dont seem to like other classes taking the spot light XD.

I guess we will try with Warrior tonight see how he goes, if not ill see how well a DK holds up against it.

Great video btw, keep up good work! Good luck with hard-modes also

What kind of cooldown is there on surge? With a glyphed shield wall, do you think its possible to just need to dodge every-other surge?

Quote Originally Posted by Squashed View Post
    What kind of cooldown is there on surge? With a glyphed shield wall, do you think its possible to just need to dodge every-other surge?
    1 minute, and yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Squashed View Post
    I'm also curious about this. For this encounter, we had our Holy Priest resepc Disc so we will have PS. Will a shield wall and PS+LS rotation work? I'm glyphed/Spec for SW and LS so both are on 2 minute CDs.

Pain Suppression does not last the full duration of Surge. It's 2 seconds short. Since the Paladin ability also requires a GCD to get prepared, it also falls just short. You need to stagger them or assume you're going to take a 40k+ hit at the end of the Surge.

I had no difficulty running away from Surge as a warrior tank. Our strategy (and we never got Vezax down) was to kite from were he starts to the entrance then back and forth like that. Major issue with this strategy was saronite clouds being too far away to be used. Also in order to be in range the group has less room to spread out and still be in range since he was tanked near walls. Any suggestions? Looking for positioning for kiting strategy since i'm a warrior so we cannot just icebound fortitude through each Surge.

+ Reply to Thread