+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Arms Weapons

Arms Weapons

I put together a pretty crappy Arms set pre-patch, and I've mostly been using it to work on my "rotation" work. The weapons throw me off, a little though.

I'm not a math guy, so, ignoring the weapon-specific talents, what am I looking for in my weapons. I crafted a Titansteel Destroyer, just so I'd have something. Looking around, I spotted the Runeblade of Demonstrable Power. On a lark, I bought it and looked at the equipped differences. The top end damage capability dropped 54 points, and the char-sheet DPS dropped a bit (I can't remember how much exactly) but my crit rating went up almost 2.5%. Now, the difference between the top end damage was something like .9%. Doesn't the increase in crit make this an overall DPS gain? Even more than the 1.6% due to Impale and Sword Spec? (I'd hate to do the math on that one, but if there is a general number to use somewhere, I'd love it.) Does the same hold true for something like the Saliva Corroded Pike?

Overall, can I just factor the % ArP as a % top end damage increase for future weapon comparisons?

Out of all entry-level 2h arms weapons, the axe from Heroic HoS is far and away the winner. Good stats coupled with axe-spec make it the clear winner.

Top end damage of a weapon is not a DPS stat, the AVERAGE weapon damage (aka DPS * speed) is what matters.

Between the sword, and the mace, I would use the sword until I could get my hands on a naxx epic or the cleaver from H Loken. By some accounts, the ranking for weapon specs is axe>mace>>sword spec at most reasonable gear levels. These numbers begin to get skewed at really high levels of armor pen. (mace wins) and crit (axe wins, I think)

Well, if you take every instance of "top end" in my previous post, and replaced it with "average" damage, does it then hold true?

+ Reply to Thread