+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Paladin gearing question

Paladin gearing question

Hi guys. Love browsing TS for information.

Here's my dilemma - Im concerned with our pally MT gearing as it seems like he is stuck in the realms of BC based information.

His tanking weapon of choice Titansteel Guardian with +50 spellpower enchant. Trinkets are Seal of the Pantheon and Figurine - Monarch Crab. Sorry, still learning posting but the 1st trinket is +65 def and use procs +3570 armor. He argues that he has problems holding threat using a tanking weapon. My concern is he is wasting a trinket slot with the Seal of Pantheon as it doesnt really provide much use but to keep him above the 540 def cap. My suggestion to him is to switch to a tanking weapon - like Infantry Assault Blade with def rating and expertise, str and stamina and switch the Seal of Pantheon for Valor Medal of the First War - with 84 dodge and a use proc that is much more useful than armor... or heck, even the Lavanthor's Talisman with Block Rating/Block Value.

I really dont see his argument of holding threat. If he has his 6969 rotations down and gearing, the need for a spellpower for holding threat seems outdated as a lot of his abilities arent sp based anymore. By switching a few pieces of gear, threat is still very respectable and 84 dodge is a lot more significantly useful for being a MT. Is that sound reasoning?

Send him to read the Paladin forums here, or Maintankadin (Maintankadin • Index page) (Specifically the Maintankadin Basic Training FAQ that reads "ZOMG! My gear has no spellpower!")

If he comes out of that still saying he needs to gear for spellpower or int, find another tank.

3.0 changed everything for prot paladins. All plate tanks wear the same type of gear (save for obvious things like DKs going for dodge/parry instead of shield block).

3.1 made mana a non-issue for all paladin tanks (it never really was for a MT with Blessing of Sanctuary). Now even an OT can keep a stream of mana coming in so long as they're hitting something.

Seal of the Pantheon (or Reppelling Charge from Naxx) is a good trinket to give you more gearing options. I know that I found it hard to specialize my gear into Block, Dodge and Stamina sets while staying uncrittable in Naxx-10 gear until I got the Repelling Charge. But you are correct in that once he can get 540 without the trinket, he should look at better options like the Valor Medal, Essence of Gossamer, Lavanthor's Talisman, etc. Once you start stacking Str and BV, 9-12k shield slams crits are not uncommon, and threat should not be an issue.

The Best in Slot! Paladin tanking gear at a glance here on Tankspot and on Maintankadin as well, gives a good breakdown of what pieces are best for each slot.

It sounds like the Paladin in your guild isn't to the "Best in Slot" point quite yet, but if he reads the guide with an open mind, it should point him in the right direction as far as what is good and what is not.
    Paladin --- "A paragon of chivalry; a heroic champion."
    <Journey> is recruiting, visit www.wowjourney.com for information and class needs.

Thanks Jayson and Karatheya for responding.

Ya, Ive linked to those posts(both on Tankspot and Maintankadin even - quoting FAQs saying STR > HIT > Expertise and linking tankadin's armory) previously in discussions with him and he was annoyingly adamant with his gearing choices. Appreciate the feedback. Wish he was more open-minded on strategies in gearing. The beauty of it is Blizz has given us flexibility in gearing differently based on what we want to accomplish. Just need to try.

+ Reply to Thread