Thread: Ulduar Thorim

I would like some suggestions or/and help please:

1.Thorim 10man

2.Raid Compositon
    tank: Druid, Paladin
    ranged DPS: 2xHunter, Warlock, Mage
    melee DPS: Warrior
    Healers: Shaman, Druid, Priest

1st few tries (overwhelmed in Arena, bad positioning - ranged was standing outside the circle and getting zapped by orb charges)

we finally decided on Feral tank, Furry War, 2xHealers and 2xranged in Arena...and Pally tank, 2xhunters and shammy healer in the hallway; and we just had too many problems staying alive (not swarmed by adds or oneshotted by whirlwind from the Champion). We almost made it on the last try before the reset night, but the hallway team got caught in the "bubble trap" 10secs before Arena team started to get overwhelmed. The strat that worked for us best was me, feral drood, picking up adds and standing on one side of the little circle while the rest of the raid was standing on the other side of the little circle in the middle of the room (problem:when adds start spawning and there is 5+adds in the room its tough to keep the adds away from the raid...I was runing back and forth in the little circle because ranged got aggro by default; all that resulted in raid&mobs getting clumped together...that would be ok if not for the occasional WW from the Champion=wipe). We focused on Evokers because their heals are too great and we couldn't aoe the rest of the mobs down if we didn't nuke him soon and hard...it left us with little time to find Champion among 5+mobs. We are keeping our heads up for around 3mins, then things get very hectic; I just keep spaming mangle-swipe combo, running to-and-fro, unable to pick up the Evokers and Champions as they come (add spawn rate is fu*** fast); and what should the ration between aoe dps and single targeting evokers (or champions...both? in what order?) would be?

From what I've read in this post we could have used our warrior to disarm the Champion and thus preventing his Whirlwinds; my question is...what if you don't have a warrior who can disarm...how do you handle the whirlwinds then? because the raid needs to be grouped up in the middle so that tank picks up the adds easier and ppl don't get zapped by the pillars?

Any more suggestions how to preform better in Arena part of the fight? Thanks for your time guys.
    Last edited by feisty; 05-20-2009 at 01:25 AM.

Last edited by Squirrelnut; 07-30-2009 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelnut View Post
    instead it gives him a stacking buff which makes him hit harder and destroy the tanks.
    It's always been this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapeeno View Post
    Stupid Question maby, but did anyone try to Divine Intervene someone just behind Thorim to start the event quickly next time :P?
    You could... but then all of the adds in the gauntlet aggro and come down to eat your face.

How do people deal with evoker buffs? Ignore them? Have a healer remove them? Have a shadow priest (or X class) remove them?

We used to focus down evokers first to prevent them from spreading, but with the latest change to the celerity aura we've swapped to focusing down warbringers, which then means that these buffs are causing issues (which is why we focused evokers first in the beginning and ignored warbringers).

Ok my guild is having some problems with Thorim 25. I have read the all the posts in this forum and another one on this site as well as even stratfu.

What is the general strat for doing champions on 25 man as it was eating our warrior's lunch in the arena. He was stating he gets up to about 5-6 champions and some little dudes but keeps getting overwhelmed.

He is not the only tank we also had a paladin and a DeathKnight.

I have been in the guantlet with another warrior.

We have 3 dps in the guantlet with those being 2 hunters and a dk. Our healers are a pally and a priest.

Guantlet always gets to the first boss with our raid wiping in the arena.

Any suggestions? I wish I could give a better group layout for arena but it varies a ton by who is on etc.
    True Bonding Occurs when you wipe your raid and then your raid wipes you in return - Tarigar

we use 2 tanks in the arena.

We tank everything in the middle of the arena with the exception of champions.. when they jump down, we have a second tank pick up just them and tank them just outside the main group. we burn them down first with ranged being preferable.. melee can do it too but they have to be careful of the WW. We end up melee heavy in the arena sending mostly casters down the tunnel but they are used to being quick to get out of any WW.

Is your focus the champions?

1st and 2nd attempt we were just trying to get the evokers down and were getting overwhelmed by champions.

I think our 5th and 6th attempts we were having ranged on the champions and melee taking out evokers.

Trying to find a better solution because I know we are missing something.
    True Bonding Occurs when you wipe your raid and then your raid wipes you in return - Tarigar

My guild have cleared ulduar 10 easily. but on 25 man only this dude is getting in our way to get to general vezaxx.
    What set up do you use for this boss, and how do you divide the raid into arena and gauntlet.

would be really helful if you frapsed a 25 man version of the fight, emphasizing more on gauntlet and arena.

i'm curious

Our raid's 25 man makeup is usually 2 prot warriors,1 prot pally, 2 bear tanks(both can go feral), 7 healers and assorted ranged dps with a couple melee dps. We have been attempting this fight for weeks using 1 warrior,1 pally and a druid tank standing just under Thorim(adds run right to the people closest to him, and having our ranged and healers mostly standing in the circle.

Our hallway team goes with 1 warrior and 2 healers,4 ranged casters.

Heres our issue...in almost every single attempt we get to about the 3 1/2 minute mark and then then the arena group gets flat out overrun.My screen usually shows around 20+ mobs up and on me when i go down(prot warrior).

I noticed in most vids that a bear and a dk are going down the hall with another DK in the arena...hence this question...can thorim not be done without a dk?

Of course it can, having 20+ mobs alive doesnt seem like a tanking proplem, it seems more like a dps proplem.

Ya we rarely have DKs in our raids and don't really have issues with Thorim, you just have to have the DPS to down the mobs to prevent being overrun.

We successfully one shot Thorim (10 man) every week. I hope some of this information will help some guild's with composition and placement for arena/hallway groups.

Here is our raid composition:

Arena
    Paladin(Prot)
    Paladin(Ret)
    Hunter(Surv)
    Hunter(Surv)
    Druid(Resto)

Hallway
    Druid(Feral)
    Warlock(Destro)
    Warlock(Destro)
    Priest(Holy/Disc)

Arena
    We have the hunters in the arena dropping slowing traps. Misdirection's on the tank are quite handy, this can be copied with Trick's of the Trade by a rogue or two. The hunters focus down the evokers when they jump in. The ret paladin and arms warrior focus on warbringers and champions. The ret paladin can interupt whirlwind with repentance but not hammer of justice. With the extra dps we burn down the warbringers and champions before they can cause any serious damage. This makes healing the arena much easier for one healer, only have close calls if melee pull aggro to quickly.

Hallway
    We run only 2 healers to ensure not to be overrun in the arena. Any healer will do fine for the hallway but would definitely have your best raid healer in the arena. We found it was less likely for cloth wearer's to die if they were in the tunnel group, being that the arena has adds coming in with heal aggro. This has the added benefit of being able to kill the first mini-boss quickly since you have no melee that have to back off during his melee reflect.

Thorim
    Once the arena and hallway are complete we have tanks pick up Thorim and position him in the middle. Tanks stack on one side of Thorim and melee on the opposite. We run two melee in addition to tanks, if you run more then that make a triangle on the boss. We have ranged and heals spread out around the room.

Hard-mode
    We are going to attempt to do Hard-mode this week and all we will change is sending one of the hunter's into the tunnel group. As it stands with our setup the arena is a piece of cake with plenty of breathing room. Dropping one dps from the arena would leave us with enough dps to not be completely overrun, not to mention the hallway gets completed in time to enable hard mode. It is however completely doable to active hard mode on Thorim with only 2 dps in the tunnel.

I will post back here with our progress on Thorim Hard-mode(10 man).

Gauntlet

We found that after you kill the first mini-boss in the gauntlet, you can have a hunter send his pet to engage mini-boss 2. The adds will stop spawning, and he will come to you

Stuck

Long time reader first time poster
    We are hitting a Brick wall with this guy. our raids have 3 Tanks Warr , Pally , DK.
    We have 3 Druid heals , 1 Holy priest , 1 disc ,1 Pally and 1 Shammy
    DPS is most time 2 to 3 Rogues , 2 mages , 2 Balance druids , 1 Lock 1 Ele shammy , 1 enhanc shammy couple Ret pallys and a hunter. this is our main raiders.
    We have succesfully had Thorim Hit the floor a couple times , but we have so many down by the time he hits its a wipe and start over.
    The problems being Its eather Hall will wipe after 1 st Boss and we all die or arean Gets over run and its a wipe.
    we have tried 4 tanks 2 in each we have done 3 tanks 2 areana 1 hallway
    we have tried many combinitions. Plate out side clothes inside , switched that.
    I guess what i am asking is , what is the make up of a succussfull group and a 25 man video that can help us with this guy.

any comments or suggestions would be great
    Thank you in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    I am just trying to understand how we are so far off the DPS requirements of the fight. I mean, he essentially is getting to 16 stack (18 is hard enrage) with about 15 - 17% left. Does anyone have a WWS of a kill so I can see the difference in DPS and see what I need to change? It just seems that either were doing something really wrong or hes tuned just slightly out of our gearing reach (most DPS not in full BIS).
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyco View Post
    We had the same issue. When he's around 20% HP the stack get so high that the tanks just get 1 shotted, even though our DPS is good for XT002 prenerf.
    I'm thinking it might be we need to MC more Warbringers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggromachine View Post
    This was also our case last night. Our DPS could not get him down fast enough before the "soft" enrage. Can someone post a 25-man kill from their WWS or any report for comparison? Need some clarification on what the dps requirements are for Thorim. We're definetly missing something.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed View Post
    Same with our group, 15-25% left before he was one-shotting all of the tanks.
    I'm in the same boat as all these guys, but havn't heard any response to their questions? Does anyone have a clue? We recently found out about mind controlling a warbringer to give the raid an increased 20% haste buff...but we're still not sure if these is going to help us enough to avoid being 1 shotted around the soft enrage. Anyone know anything? Anyone have any advice? Thanks

Haste Debuff?

Ran our first attempts at Thorim last night, I was healing Arena and I noticed that my chain heals were taking twice as long as normal. Is there a haste debuff being cast by mobs? I couldn't find anything on the video or Wowwiki about this.

You or someone next to you got hit by Thorims hammer: Deafening Thunder - Spell - World of Warcraft

There's not a lot of ways around it for the Arena group, which is why instant cast healers are preferred there.

RE: DPS requirements - the first time we tried Thorim and the first time we killed him we used Brez and Soulstone on the tanks. We 3 heal it and probably did around 3.5k avg dps for the first kill. First kill, I dps-ed and we downed him in 10 stacks.
    I think the first time I tanked it, he got to 14 stacks, I died, got brezed, and died again. But I bought enough time for the other tank to survive. When I tank this, I always, always use shield block when I taunt him. Towards the end, I'll pop a cooldown when I taunt him since he hits really, really hard and even with warning it'll take healers time to switch to me.

Some important things to note. Is anyone dying early to lightning charge (hopefully cuz they got frost nova-ed not forgot to move) or blizzard or chain lightning? If you lose a dps it'll be tough. Do you guys have bloodlust? If so wait until he's around 25% to pop it, since it'll help the healers as damage gets high and allow people to spam their execute-style abilities if they have any.

Some groups say it's easier to 2 heal this to beat his enrage, we're more comfortable 3 healing this since once you get into position there's not *too* much movement to the fight and our dps can bring him down.
    Last edited by Muffin Man; 08-31-2009 at 12:46 PM. Reason: DPS comment

id like to hear about hunters roles

+ Reply to Thread