+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Noob needs help with Warrior Tanking !

Noob needs help with Warrior Tanking !

Hello guys i need some serious help, after seeing the nerf to dps i figured that i would be much more help to myself and the server if were to roll as a tank. im completely new and i couldnt find anything on the forums about a new to tanking tank like Expertise cap and hit cap avoidance stats or anything if nyone could point me in the right way i would be very grateful thx

Honestly, I suggest never doing that. Play the role you want to play, not the one you think will get you in raids.

However to answer your question, head to the guides section and start reading. The answers are all there.

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f56/4...mpilation.html is a good start.

Keep in mind though, people generally only excel when they're doing things they enjoy. Plus this is a game, don't tank if you don't like it... especially since people are really quick to criticize tanking errors.

o dont get me wrong i do like tanking

having problems with aoe tanking though

Quote Originally Posted by Lunchb0x View Post
    having problems with aoe tanking though
    Warrior don't Aoe Tank, since we have no AoE abilities, if you want AoE tanking roll a Paladin.

Tho Warriors can Multi Mob Tank this can be done by using a good rotation :

Assume a pack of 4 mobs :

- Charge to one of them
    - Use Thunder Clap
    - Pull them Back a bit
    - And start tabbing so you can apply a Treat Ability to every mob.

And yes this will be painful and hard to learn specially if you have problems like no Exp./Hit. cap since when a attack misses you will lose TPS very fast.

But like all things practice it a lot and you will come there but Multi Mob Trash Tanking is the hardest thing a Warrior Tank can do.
    Shamarice, Enhancement Shaman ( Active )
    ShadowBumble, Warrior Tank ( Retired )

yeah i just did a up and kinda got it now Thunder Claping and Cleaving alot really helps
    along with shockwave. now the only thing im really torn about is how i should gem. do i go for straight Stam? are there like a median i should try to hit with all my avoidance stats? by all means if anyone wants to have a convo about this to help me out my aim screen name is dnlclrk08

Personally, i dont have a great problem with tanking many mob. With cleave glyph, and devistate glyph i find it actually quite easy. Keep cleaving between ur other abilities. Charge in, TC, walk backwards (get mob in front of u) then Shockwave. now they are all stunnned and u canspam cleave with devistate, and thunderclapping as much as poss. b4 u know it shockwave is back and ur mobs are almost dead (depending on ur dps ofc)
    Another tip, is to charge at the mob furthest away and TC during ur charge, the move past/around the back mob turning at the same time ready to shockwave the mos coming at u. And spellcasters can be Heroic throw silenced to get them to u

Hope this helps

thx, shirt that really help, so what all glyphs do u recommend? im using vigilance shockwave and blocking

Warrior AoE Tanking

I do not agree with the comment that Warrior Tanks do NOT AoE tank, because they DO NOT have any AoE abilities. However, I do agree that we are NOT AoE Tanks. That job is better suited for Unholy Death Knights and definitely Paladin Tanks. Frost Death Knights are most likely a better AoE tanking bet as well.

That being said, a good Warrior Tank that knows his stuff and has the gear to be able to highly specialize it for the encounter, can and do effectively tank AoE groups of mobs. We can benefit highly from mob slowing affects, such as a dps Warrior using Piercing Howl and mages using imp Blizzard. This buys us time to build up more AoE threat.

We also can utilize our AioE taunt, Challenging Shout. The CD on this makes it something to hold onto, in case things start to get out of control. Furthermore, with Duel Spec specialization, there are a few things Warrior Tanks can do to improve their AoE tanking, if they wish...

With your alt spec, you might spec down into imp Cleave (3 points) and of course imp Thunder Clap and down protection with all the key talents including Shockwave. Then you can Glyph for Cleave to strike an extra target, reduce CD of Shockwave and increase range of Thunder Clap by 2 yards. of course, the glyph of Blocking and a few others glyphs are solid options as well. Also, have a shield just for trash/AoE and place Titanium Plating on it, for +40 SBV.

Now if you have the skills to make this work as a Warrior Tank, then you are likely to have the gear to make it work. Your Trash Mob/AoE tanking set should essentially be a Shield Block Value (SBV) set. With Ulduar, many new pieces of SBV gear have been added to the existing pieces available in Naxx and Heroics.

im running Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft atm i dont really maintank just offtank raids, but do alot of heroics is this a good spec yall think?

sorry to keep bumping this thread but i was looking and could not find the answer. what is a good range of avoidance stats to have before gemming for straight stam?

Wrong forum. Throw up an armory so people can give you specific help. Read rules.

Honestly, if you read the rules, you'd see that we have several guides.

Did you really search? Really?

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I have recently changed to Vigilance, cleave and blocking. minor glyph of Thunderclap is also very usefull.
    Also i forgot to mention, just b4/after u charge, its useful to also use shield block and get in SS as much as poss too.

Get rid of Deep Wounds and put those three points in Shield Specialization 5/5.

If you want to AoE tank (or multi-target tank) you should grab the Glyph of Sunder Armor and the Glyph of Resonating Power to go with your Blocking Glyph.

At this point you should be laying down Sunder Armor on two targets at once and have a ridiculously cheap Thunder Clap (5 rage i think). Between that and Shockwave, holding three or four targets should be pretty easy.

If you are losing threat, pick out the enemy that you are losing it from and Shield Slam them. If the stats are the same, it should cause extremely high levels of threat.

Lastly, what most tanks forget to do: Disarm heavy melee bosses. Nothing takes the edge off of an enemy's whirlwind like a lack of weapon in their hands.

Youtube is your friend <'3
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGlMHKZ0mao"]YouTube - How to tank as a warrior (worjor)[/ame]

You Also need the right specc..

My specc is World of Warcraft Europe -> Talents
    Last edited by Crale; 04-28-2009 at 05:41 AM.

Hmm, interesting.

I don't see why Imp. Heroic Strike only has 2 out of three and Sunder Armor has all three when you use Heroic Strike with every attack.

Also, why would you throw any points into Safeguard? What is the point in that? Why throw one point away into improved disciplines when you only use 1 discipline? Shield Wall every 4 minutes and 30 seconds is just as useless as Shield Wall every 5 minutes (not to mention the fact that few fights ever go on long enough to use Shield Wall twice).

I'm also fairly sure that Improved Spell Reflection has much more use in PvP than it does in PvE. Not to mention the fact that you didn't pick up Armored to the Teeth or 3/3 Incite, which should make your Thunderclaps more likely to crit and draw more aggro.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but it kind of looks like you went in on a bunch of stats with little to no regular use and ignored a lot of chances to increase your crit chance and threat.

Quote Originally Posted by VikingKong View Post
    Hmm, interesting.

I don't see why Imp. Heroic Strike only has 2 out of three and Sunder Armor has all three when you use Heroic Strike with every attack.

Also, why would you throw any points into Safeguard? What is the point in that? Why throw one point away into improved disciplines when you only use 1 discipline? Shield Wall every 4 minutes and 30 seconds is just as useless as Shield Wall every 5 minutes (not to mention the fact that few fights ever go on long enough to use Shield Wall twice).

I'm also fairly sure that Improved Spell Reflection has much more use in PvP than it does in PvE. Not to mention the fact that you didn't pick up Armored to the Teeth or 3/3 Incite, which should make your Thunderclaps more likely to crit and draw more aggro.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but it kind of looks like you went in on a bunch of stats with little to no regular use and ignored a lot of chances to increase your crit chance and threat.
    That specc works well for me!, I don't think that Specc can be Discussed It's about felling.

Spell reflection are great when you are tanking Kel'thuzad, since she cast Frostballs wich can be reflected..
    Crále -Officer/CL of Gloria Victis Vashj EU
    <(O.o'')>

Well, if it works for you...

Ok seriously stop giving this guy weird advice on messed up specs that "work for you" when there are many many posts that lay out proper info and specs that would be much more beneficial to someone starting out.

Here is some info & links to get you started and save you time searching around the forum:

Stats
    Defense: 540+ (689 Defense Rating) You can get away with 535 in heroics but you need 540+ for Nax content and above
    Expertise soft cap: 26 (about 214 Rating - removes chance of being dodged)
    Expertise hard cap: 57 (about 468 Rating - removes chance of being parried)
    Hit cap: 266 rating (about 8%)
    Combat Ratings at level 80 - Elitist Jerks

Ideally you want to keep 540+ defense at all times, get as much stamina as physically possible and get at least 26+ expertise and as close to 266 hit as possible. Dodge and block will come with gear and isn't really worth gemming for and Parry is the garbage stat of the tank world. Gem for stamina in blue sockets, expertise or expertise/stam in red sockets, ideally use a JC gem in yellow sockets but failing that get whatever you want

Spec
    Main Talent Spec:
    15/5/51 for almost all content as a Prot warrior.
    Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft
    One thing that has been widely discussed on both Tankspot and EJ is the need to spec for deep wounds. It provides a substantial dps increase and is more then worth it.

Only real variation to that Main Talent Spec might be a Malygos build of a tweaked 15/5/51 for improved spell reflect
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LAM00fZh ... sGo:dboMmz

Ulduar progression spec : 5/10/56
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LVZhiZVI ... sGo:TrAMmz
    Possibly replace 2 points from Imp Spell Reflect into Focused Rage depending on the situation

(Source: http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f64/4...ur-damage.html)

Gear
    Early gear to get def capped
    http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/4...ear-guide.html

Emblem gear
    http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/4...ck-orders.html

Best in slot gear
    http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/4...ar-glance.html

Enchants
    Enchants are fairly basic 'must have' things usually for most Warrior tanks:
    Head - [Arcanum of the Stalwart Protector]
    Shoulders - [Greater Inscription of the Pinnacle]
    Back - [Enchant Cloak - Titanweave]
    Chest - [Enchant Chest - Super Health] or [Enchant Chest - Greater Defense]
    Waist - [Eternal Belt Buckle]
    Legs - [Frosthide Leg Armor]
    Feet - [Enchant Boots - Greater Fortitude] or [Enchant Boots - Tuskarr's Vitality]
    Wrists - [Enchant Bracer - Major Stamina]
    Hands - [Heavy Borean Armor Kit] or [Enchant Gloves - Armsman]
    Shield - [Enchant Shield - Defense] or [Titanium Plating]
    Weapon - [Enchant Weapon - Accuracy] or [Titanium Weapon Chain]

Glyphs
    Major: Blocking, Revenge, Heroic Strike or Devastate
    Ulduar progression Major: Shield wall, Last Stand, Vigilance
    Minor: Charge, Thunderclap, Bloodrage

Rotation
    Single target prioritization goes SS > Revenge > CB > Shockwave > Devastate and spam HS whenever 50+ rage
    Multiple Target rotation would look something like this
    Charge > Thunderclap > Shockwave > Demoralizing Shout > Thunderclap > Shield Block > Tab Target Single DPS

It is helpful to select a target in the mob pack to mark with a skull so that your DPS has a single target to focus on along with their AOE. This helps limit the possibility of agro loss as you can keep an eye on that target while maximizing threat on all mobs.
    http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f56/4...-rotation.html

Keybinds
    Just in case you might still be a clicker
    http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/...binds-you.html

GL in your new tank roll, hope it works well for you
    Last edited by Squirrelnut; 04-29-2009 at 11:49 AM.

+ Reply to Thread