+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Drop Mining for Jewelcrafting

Drop Mining for Jewelcrafting

As of now my two professions are Engineering and Mining. I was thinking of dropping mining to pick up jewelcrafting seeing as how its awesome for tanking 3, 41 stam gems is awesome and the crab trinket is still really good.

anyways im pretty sure jewel crafting will be better but i wasnt 100% sure. If i replace the standard 24 stam gems with 41 stam ones, that only ends up being an extra 51 stam. The only benefits i could see is that since the JC gems are prismatic i could gain socket bonuses i otherwise could not get with regular gemming.

I really would prefer not to drop engineering because im hoping for a new goggle recipie to drop in a raid.

any help will be greatly appreciated

In case you haven't see it already:

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/...-overview.html

Skorp, I was in the exact same situation as you last week with Eng/Mining. I have since then leveled my JCing up to 400. JCing is currently the best Stamina-producing proffession. But big benefit is that you get to get meta and socket bonuses without putting in inferior gems.

By replacing my 3 non-Solid gems in my gear with Prismtics, I gained 36 additional Stamina without losing any of the Stam socket bonuses I was already getting from Purple/Green gems.

I'll be switching my Eng to BSing as soon as my guild gets another Engineer for bots.
    Paladin --- "A paragon of chivalry; a heroic champion."
    <Journey> is recruiting, visit www.wowjourney.com for information and class needs.

thanks for your input. and after reading the general overview and from your post i think that JC is gonna be the way to go.

My situation is... well... exactly the same as Jayson.

I dropped Mining for JC, and am now JC/Eng... and I have to say, not having to worry about metas being active (ever) is amazing, and having colorless gems... even better.

truthfully, it's one of the best things I've done on my warrior (who has had mining since pre-bc)
    |Kaad|Warrior|Protection|The Milk Drinkers|Runetotem|US|

Blizzard has already said they don't plan on putting in upgradeable goggles into the game. I personally dropped eng for JC. It was a choice of 50 stam from mining or 800 armor and no glove enchant.

Here is the expert from the post.

2 . What is the problem in providing a drop for goggle upgrades? (doesn't have to be BIS, we'd just like goggles that are ballpark competitive).
    And the blue reply

2. We don't want to provide really good and/or best-in-slot items that you upgrade throughout an expansion. We kind of set a precedent for this in The Burning Crusade, but we weren't happy with it so we are trying to get away from it now.

Enraged and CRAZY Gnomish Eng, Demands Answer

Every character of every class should have JC, it's just too good to pass up.

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

gah... guess i should drop mining... i don't think i've mined anything in 3 months...

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I've been pondering this as well. I leveled mining a while ago, because my main was the only one with an epic flying mount. The problem I see is that next expansion set when you level to 90 or something, you are not going to be able to mine right away and hence level your professions. This could be bothersome...

Like others here, I recently dropped mining to pick up jewelcrafting. I have no regrets at all, other than I swear Titanium nodes have increased about 10x and taunt me everywhere, lol. If you do decide to make the switch, get as many mats as you can before dropping mining. I was fortunate to have a lot of the lower level ores, bars, and gems to make the JC leveling easier, but I still ended up buying more bars than I thought I would. Mine a lot of ore and smelt it so it's ready to use. Overall changing from mining to JC cost me about 2000G, as I had to buy more ore and bars than I had prepared ahead of time, and people seem to know that JCers are paying for the low end mats, and they jack the prices up on low ore and gems. I'm glad I did it and have hit 450 now. It has been worth it completely.
    Last edited by Mornak; 04-24-2009 at 07:40 PM.

I have been toying with the idea of dropping BS or mining for JC for months now. Really haven't seen a dire need to as the only upgrade would be the Monarch Crab as the stam on it is amazing.

We are progressing nicely through Ulduar25 and a couple things get brought up. There are 2 tanking trinkets in Ulduar25/10. Heart of Iron (Heart of Iron - Item - World of Warcraft) from Ignis25 and Royal Seal of King Llane (http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/...18_9767_11.jpg). Both have incredible amounts of stam and on use avoidance.

I believe at least with a war tank that these will put Monarch Crab out of business making JC'ing less desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by icemanrec View Post
    I have been toying with the idea of dropping BS or mining for JC for months now. Really haven't seen a dire need to as the only upgrade would be the Monarch Crab as the stam on it is amazing.

We are progressing nicely through Ulduar25 and a couple things get brought up. There are 2 tanking trinkets in Ulduar25/10. Heart of Iron (Heart of Iron - Item - World of Warcraft) from Ignis25 and Royal Seal of King Llane (http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/...18_9767_11.jpg). Both have incredible amounts of stam and on use avoidance.

I believe at least with a war tank that these will put Monarch Crab out of business making JC'ing less desirable.
    The 3 prismatic gems in your gear are also a bonus to going JC. I don't even use the Monarch Crab in my DK tanking gear I pretty much picked up JC with the intention of benefitting off the JC only gems, + the extra sockets from Blacksmithing. If you had another character you could level up mining with I'd suggest doing that if you had to drop anything I'd drop mining and not BS to pick up JC.

I would only gain 10 stam from that switch. Mining gives me +50 stamina. If i were to drop mining and get JC I would be able to replace 3 of my 24 stam gems and get 3 of the 41 stam gems.

(41 stam - 24 stam) x3 = 17 stam x3 = 51 stam

Mining = 50 stam
    JC = 51 stam (and the Monarch Crab which is still amazing. Which depending how it's gemmed could be upwards of 1540 stam.)

My thoughts are that with the 2 new trinkets that the Monarch Crab will become more useless. Although the stam/parry on use trinket is nice for the stam and not so much the parry, but yeah.

The 3 gems match any color, allowing you to pick up socket bonuses... and you never have to worry about your meta being active, as they count toward the three gems you need for that.

not to mention... if you have a set of dps gear, you can use the str gems (+27 str)
    or if you have defense problems... theres the defense gems...

JC opens up alot of windows (including a great way to make some coin)

It really is the best thing I've done for my warrior in the past 3 years.
    |Kaad|Warrior|Protection|The Milk Drinkers|Runetotem|US|

yea seems like a what i should do, imo blacksmithing and jc seem like the best combo. i will have to mine as much as possible though before i do the switch. good call.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die. -Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    gah... guess i should drop mining... i don't think i've mined anything in 3 months...
    Sounds like it's not really doing much for you, no point having a profession that is not being used. I never really liked mining and with recent changes saronite prices have dropped to the floor, on my server stack of Saronite ore goes for 10-14g while old stuff like Thorium and Mithril are 20-40g per stack and sell really well.

BS+JC combo has been working really well for me and they provide decent income to make sure I can go raiding fully prepared without having to sacrifice hours into grinding dailys or farming ore/herbs. Tanking is not cheap for your wallet, but it's worth every penny.
    Crommi | Archaic Order | Lightning's Blade EU

Right now i am skinning/mining. Im not sure if i want to make the switch and which to drop. i just got to 80 and looking to make some money asap to get gear, enchants and gems. Wondering if the 50 stam buff from mining is worth losing now for paying alot to get Jc up.

I dropped mining for JC, and I'm not disappointed. A tad more stamina, a ~lot~ more flexibility, and access to some kickass trinkets.

Now, all I need to do is farm a ton of recipes, and I can see if I can't make some money as well.

I went from BS/Mining to BS/JC. The sta increase is slight compared to mining, sure; but I'm now picking up socket bonuses that I had to use x/12sta gems for in the past.

PLUS, and this is something people often overlook, YOU DON'T JUST USE JC FOR STA!!!

I have multiple sets; a big HP-soaking set, a threat set, and an avoidance/block set. I take the avoid/block-only pieces and stick 27def in them. I take the EH-only pieces and stick 41sta in them. Sure, I have 1k less HP in my block set now, but I make up for that with 81 defense rating = 2.63% dodge+parry+block+miss (which is what I'm trying to achieve in that set, innit?)

I keep Blacksmithing over Mining for the same reason: it's slightly less stamina in my EH set for those 2 extra sockets, but it lets me gem my block-set bracers/gloves differently, where stamina is less desired.

Mining is good for making money, but as a raider's utility it's a one-trick pony. BS and JC do it all, even if one is slightly worse in stamina.

Drop Eng. Mining is a nice health buff, eng is not. Even the new glove enchant is not good enough to do away with Armsman imo.

I struggled with this for a long time as I've ALWAYS been eng. But I went through all my eng gear and realy asked myself "what does this do for me?". The BoE BS helm is better than goggles, and the other stuff is just novelty items. Sure they are handy once in a while, but more stam/stats is a benefit ALL the time.

I also agree with the ebs2002... If you have multiple sets and you manage them well you can get the benefit from MANY dragon's yes. I think I have 5 across my sets of which 3 are equipped at any one time. After I do a few more dailies and gem up my dps gear I'll have 6 or 7 gems going...

Drop Eng.

+ Reply to Thread