Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who's Tanking Steelbreaker?

Who's Tanking Steelbreaker?

So last night we tried Council for the first time. My guild has been doing fairly well in 10-man Ulduar. So far, weve downed Ignis / Razorscale / XT-002 / Kologarn without too much trouble on a limited number of hours in there. A handful of wipes, small assignment or strategy shifts and they've all died for us. The only roadblock we had was pre-nerf Ignis.

But last night Steelbreaker was a total wipefest for us. About 12 attempts and only 3 of them did we manage to get to the 2nd boss. We did bump into the enrage timer once on the 3rd boss, but that was only after bringing in a 4th healer.

Tanks were:
    Pally on Rune / Storm
    Druid (me) on Steel

Both of us are in mostly 213 gear and we one shot Razorscale and Ignis the night before...so we're not slouches. Pallys health was at 40k and mine between 43-47k after I added a couple of Polar pieces.

Healers were Holy Priest, Disc Priest and Resto Druid. At one point we brought in a 2nd Disc Priest just so we could get the transitions and added abilities down. I was still getting gibbed on many attempt on Steelbreaker. I was moving him out of the Blue Runes quickly. The dispells were usually being taken off me fairly quickly. The Fusion Punch was hitting me typically for 12k and melee hits were in the 8k range.

So my question is this...if a 47k bear is dying, who are you guys having tank steelbreaker? Is a frost DK that important for their stacking resist talent against the nature damage of fusion punch?

Unfortunately, we dont have a raiding hunter available, and our BE Pally was needed on tanking Rune/Storm because we were very low on interrupt classes and I really wasn't much an option for interrupts as a bear.

So who's tanking Steelbreaker in you guilds?

Is anyone having an easy time at it without stacking nature resist? I think I had 54 from Gift and that was it. Are your steelbreaker healers really as stressed as ours seemed to be last night?

We're asking our DK tank to respec frost instead of unholy for our next attempts in there...but unfortunately, he isn't extremely well-geared yet...only about 33k raid buffed.

Thanks for any feedback.

-Coal

You have to dispel the Fusion Punch debuff or any tank will die without cooldown support.

^-- dispell fusion punch and you're g2g with any tank
    Your ad could be here.

So it's possible to remove it before the first tick of 12k is applied if our healers are spot on the decurse? Or will I always see at least a single tick?

Unfortunately I wasn't combat logging last night, so I don't know if I ever saw 2 ticks...but it seemed like the priest was cleansing pretty fast.

Yeah, when he hits you, just dispel and you shouldn't take massive dmg (might take first tick, but should still be healable)
    Your ad could be here.

Quote Originally Posted by Coalmine View Post
    So it's possible to remove it before the first tick of 12k is applied if our healers are spot on the decurse? Or will I always see at least a single tick?

Unfortunately I wasn't combat logging last night, so I don't know if I ever saw 2 ticks...but it seemed like the priest was cleansing pretty fast.
    Keep in mind (I'm pretty sure) your pally tank can also cleanse it off himself (if he's the one tanking steel), sometimes it quicker that way since healers tend to be a bit more distracted than tanks and thus there might be a second or two delay on that cleanse incoming from healers.

I always find it fairly simply to drop a cleanse on myself when tanking without disrupting my rotation significantly in situations where debuffs need to cleansed ASAP (your healers tend to appreciate that too ) .

In 10 man, our pally tank with 39k health tanks Steelbreaker. We have our priest spam dispel (and she claims it takes several dispels to fully remove it... but I'm not sure about that) whenever fusion punch is incoming. Normally we have shaman healer on the OT (me, warrior with 39k health) and a holy priest and resto druid on the MT. The resto druid will occasionally throw a hot or two on the OT to help out the shaman until Steelbreaker goes down, then the OT gets solo healed.

I've tanked him myself as a warrior on the 10 man, and I've had a druid tank him on the 25 man just because his health pool makes life easier (and he can switch to dps after Steelbreaker's down). Dispelling (and moving out of the runes of power ASAP) is definitely the key.
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.

We have a ret pally spam his dispel button from the warning until its gone, never had a problem with the tank living. I think a lot of people have a problem because healers like to finish their cast, which is kinda bad in this situation. Depends. Guess thats why we have a dps doing it.
    Last edited by dadricvertanis; 04-24-2009 at 07:52 AM. Reason: clarification

I've tanked him on 25-man (so not sure if all of this will apply). Just throwing random things out there.

- Dispels are key. Make sure ppl are on the ball.

- A disc priest can help make this fight a lot easier. Not sure how many healers are on you at that point in the fight, but the shields are really nice.

- You might want to verify that you are moving him out of the runes. The first time I tried tanking him, I thought I had pulled him out, but I was mistaken. I started watching his buff/debuff bar to be sure. For whatever reason, watching the TankSpot video helped me "clear my mind" a little, and get a better idea of what it looked like. I admit I was very preoccupied with getting 1-shot, so wasn't paying attention as much to what it actually looked like. I was also kind of paranoid about AoE spells covering the rune.

- Depending on your DPS make-up, if you have a lot of ranged, you could probably just constantly drag him around. If you're melee-heavy, this might cause you problems, though.

- You can set a focus target for the medium-sized dwarf. This is the guy that actually casts the runes. If you have casting bars enabled, you'll have a little warning when a rune is being cast (it's not always cast on Steelbreak, though). Another option is to have the other tank call out when the cast is happening, but the focus target is probably a little simpler.

- Another thing to consider is are you trying to keep him near the rune mark, so that melee can get the damage buff? I've read varying advice on this. Some people try to do that, others think it's too risky, due to weird hit box sizes and runes areas. Our guild has generally decided to give up on the buff, in the short-term.

Hope some of the above rambling helps.

Last night on 25 Man we had a Blood DK tank Steelbreaker, Runemaster was tanked by a Prot Pally, and Prot Warrior on Shorty

As a protection paladin I normally tank Steelbreaker. Ensuring that auto self cast is enabled, I spam my cleanse when fusion punch is about halfway through its cast. This helps to prevent me from taking any damage from the DoT. This also helps my healer maintain a steady focus on healing without the GCD delay.

It can appear that it might take several dispels when spamming because there seems to be a small lapse in time between when the punch hits and when the debuff actually is applied. One cleanse / dispel has always removed it in my experience.

Based on our first kill last week on 10 man, and the follow up one shot on them this week our healing assignments normally follow the set up of 1 healer in the back for the Rune / Stormcaller tank (pally or shaman). A paladin on the Steelbreaker tank using glyph of holy light and a holy priest standing around the middle of the room to help with raid healing, and help heal the healer in the back.

I hope this helps.

Edit: corrected a typo

We have our protadin on Steelbreaker for the dispels, Blood/Frost DK on runemaster, and myself (Prot Warrior) On shorty, with a resto shammy healing me (mostly for interupts because there is also one I can't get)

Since Runemaster has a ~1 second cast animation for the blue rune, in the first phase you can have your OT call out a warning on vent. You can start dragging him as soon as you hear the warning. Once he's out of the blue or if the blue got cast on the dwarf you can stop and melee can pound away on a stationary target. This minimizes the amount of time Steelbreaker spends in the blue rune.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyborn View Post
    Since Runemaster has a ~1 second cast animation for the blue rune, in the first phase you can have your OT call out a warning on vent. You can start dragging him as soon as you hear the warning. Once he's out of the blue or if the blue got cast on the dwarf you can stop and melee can pound away on a stationary target. This minimizes the amount of time Steelbreaker spends in the blue rune.

yep this exactly how my guild handled this encounter ...worked well

Yup, fusion punch is a magic debuff so pallys and priests are good. There's also a casting bar for fusion punch, so your dispeler can keep an eye on the boss' cast bar to be able to react faster.

Easiest way to do this:

You need a Paladin or Priest and one other healer.

The fusion punch has a 3 second cast, most healers "big" heals are 2 seconds or greater. I will call out Fusion Punch over vent about 1/2 second in. That combined with the lag of vent and human reaction time, the "other healer" starts their long cast heal and the priest/paladin begins spamming dispel/cleanse. This results in me never even noticing the fusion punch >90% of the time. The only time this causes problems is if he casts fusion punch before I have him moved completely out of the rune. In that case I pop Barkskin (other tanks use applicable Oh s--! buttons).

Once we began doing this I have never died to another Fusion Punch.

have a ret pally or shadow priest dispell

The main cause of deaths of tanks on this fight is the steelbreaker tank has to stop his heals to dispel fusion punch. Allowing the healers to land heals directly following the cast (ala sarth breath style) and having a 3rd party dispel will greatly increase your tanks survival.

if you have a paladin tanking Steelbreaker, he should be dispelling his own fusion punch. Doing it any other way is retarded.

If you HAVE a paladin at all, put him on Steelbreaker and have him dispel his own fusion punch.

We did Iron Council on 25-man last night for the first time, and the fight went smoothly after a few rough patches with Steelbreaker in the first phase.

I was tanking Steely as a bear (armory,) and had a dedicated disc priest healing and dispelling. The tanking went well - fusion punch casts were shouted out over vent as they are the first priority in keeping the Steely tank alive.

The fight went smoothly after a few issues making sure everyone knew to get away from the overcharge and keeping the 3 spread out.