+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ulduar Hodir

I have only tried this on 10-man but we can't seem to get him down. I have a chest piece of FrG and frost arua up, so I have 267 frost resist. We have got him to %1(so mad) but can't get that close anymore. It just seems like people can't stay alive, and to clear this up does the mookin's light help the melee dps? Another thing would be is it good to have a Spriest to put the debuff from the fires? We usualy don't have a hunter in the raid to use one, but if there is I'll give it a shot. We have tried him for 3 weeks now, one was with a different group, but this sucks. IMO this fight isn't that hard but the group still can't get it. Any advise for me? I have had the raid watch the videos and they still can't stay out of the flash freeze/iceicles. *sigh* I just want to get him down for the loot and to move on. Here is my armory without my frost chest on, I don't think there's a gear issue for me here.

The World of Warcraft Armory
    Last edited by Crossied; 05-18-2009 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Wrong post, lol

On our first attempts we had everyone wear 2 pieces of FrR gear (chest and ring, for instance) and it made a big difference. Make sure people are staying mobile, and not stacking the debuff.

If they can't stay out of freeze and icycles, there's not much you can do other than suggest they all have "texture projection" enabled, because it's easier to see the runes on the ground than the falling snow.

Crossied

Moonkins light gives a 100% Haste buff so does indeed help the melee dps, kiting the boss through light so your melee can do more dps is beneficial.

We have a DK tank him with the FR boots plus Frost Res aura resulting in 267 Frost res like yourself.

For Frozen blows the DK uses either IBF or AMS, if they are both on cooldown he calls out on vent and i can use Aura mastery or Blessing of sacrafice and bubble myself. We found that a completely unresisted Frozen blows would kill the tank.

The debuff from the mages fire is applied by any caster, but it only increases the spell dmaage Hodir takes. If you're running with a lot of melee getting the Crit buff or standing in the Boomkin light will be more useful.

If your raid can't get out of flash freeze then you have serious problems.

If you raid is taking lots of damage do they have FR gear? And are they moving consistently?

It's worth noting that the stacking debuff will not be moved immediately upon movement. E.G. If the debuff has stacked to 3 then moving once will lose 1 stack not all 3. Make sure you raid keeps an eye on their debuff stacks.

We did this on 10 man with a caster heavy, high dps group. I stayed in the mookins light as much as possible, my threat was awesome. When I didn't stay in the light some, the mages would overrun me. After a couple of freezes, it doesn't matter anyway, they have to break the npc's out and then you move ahead easily.
    "Resistance is Futile"

Thanks for the replies......and I'll make sure to get everyone to turn on the texture projections on and to keep their slow butts moveing...lol. As you can tell this isn't a guild run, but we are used to eachother haveing been doing this for a couple weeks. I just hope we get all the "regulars" so we can finally get past this dang raid.

I have never even seen the "texture projections" setting before reading this thread. I just checked it post installation of the 3.1.2 patch, and it seems they have enabled it by default now. Hopefully we'll make quick work of Hodir next time out.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossied View Post
    We have tried him for 3 weeks now, one was with a different group, but this sucks.
    I have had the raid watch the videos and they still can't stay out of the flash freeze/iceicles.
    find competend guildies/ join a raiding guild- seriously will save you A LOT of stress.
    if they are to damn dumb to move out of them after 3 weaks of wipefest, i honestly cant imagine them at mimiron or even thorim.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossied View Post
    Thanks for the replies......and I'll make sure to get everyone to turn on the texture projections on and to keep their slow butts moveing...lol. As you can tell this isn't a guild run, but we are used to eachother haveing been doing this for a couple weeks. I just hope we get all the "regulars" so we can finally get past this dang raid.
    In my experience, the biggest raid killer is the Biting Cold debuff. You can't really stress this enough, if people are even a little lazy about moving, this will be ticking for 5-10k damage per second on people by the end of the fight and will make raid healing impossible.

Icicles and Freezes are also a problem of course if people cannot stay out of those. A couple people taking those here or there shouldn't kill the raid though as long as everything else is done properly.

Also, are you breaking the NPCs out of the icebocks after every freeze? We usually mark the NPC mages (/tar Sissy and /tar Missy - there is only one on 10 man though) and break them out first so they can help get the others out. As a tank, I usually try to move Hodir over beside a frozen NPC or two after a freeze to make sure they are in people's field of vision and so splash damage effects are more useful.

I never thought about moving the boss next to the frozen npc's....but I make sure to have a couple people(ranged) designated to take the npc's out of flash freeze. I have been thinking about it lately and the biggest problem is a healer going down. I think they are trying to finish a cast instead of getting in the correct positions. I am taking my guildies to a different run this week though. Everyone in this weeks run knows the fights...so that'll be nice.

To huhcio's comment: I can't really join a raiding guild cus i'm the GM of this one and I don't want to leave all the hard work and good people. I'm just in the progress of making it a raiding guild instead of a social/leveling guild. There are about 6 of us at 80 that are raiding Ulduar, but we don't have another tank or the healers for it(imagine that). Just something to work on.

Agian thanks for the comments

A comment about this:

RNG is so domb for this fight on Hard Mode ><

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

If your healers aren't already, it's a good idea for them to go and stand next to the fire the mage creates so then they can soley concentrate on healing. Also i'd suggest having all yor DPS break out the mage in double quick time after each flash freeze, then just tank the boss near the other npcs to let aoe and the mage break out the others.

How many healers you running?

We've done this a couple times on 25 and keep hitting the enrage timer. The only thing I can think is we just have the ranged breaking out the flash freezes. Do other raids have everyone breaking out the flash freezes. I could not tell in the video if that was the case or how many, if any, of the npcs you lost. We use a DK to tank it who does not seem to have any problems with the fight and our warrior tank goes arms to help with DPS. We tried using 7 or 8 healers the other night to help keep people up but it didn't help with DPS either.

Quote Originally Posted by grimjack View Post
    We've done this a couple times on 25 and keep hitting the enrage timer. The only thing I can think is we just have the ranged breaking out the flash freezes. Do other raids have everyone breaking out the flash freezes. I could not tell in the video if that was the case or how many, if any, of the npcs you lost. We use a DK to tank it who does not seem to have any problems with the fight and our warrior tank goes arms to help with DPS. We tried using 7 or 8 healers the other night to help keep people up but it didn't help with DPS either.
    Proplems with enrage timer is propaply cause people fail to use the npc provided buffs correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by grimjack View Post
    Have the whole raid get the 2 mages out ASAP after every Flash Freeze, then just tank the boss next to the boomkin and shammy to get the haste and crit buffs.

All ranged casters should be standing near the fires. Whoever gets the crit buff should run next to other dps, even if its a healer. Tank the boss in/near the moon beams as much as possible.

Question about a certain area in movie?

I noticed while watching this movie something kinda intresting to me, and i would very much like some more infomation, or maybe an explanation.
    While I was watching this movie in HD on Youtube, i noticed around 2min 30 sec in that there is an upcoming flash freeze.
    What is intresting to me during the next say 16-18 seconds of this part of the movie is: to the right of the tank, at 2 min 30 secs you see a boomkin npc in flash freeze that the raid is trying to free. they free the boomkin npc, and the tanks camera angle changes quickly to so that the tank is on the edge of the rune. As the tank goes back on top of the frozen mound, when i look back to the boomkin that was just recently unfrozen, i see another toon behind him. you see the flash freeze affect, you see the boomkin npc get frozen but the toon behind, is still there and still casting with no effects of being frozen in ice. This baffles me.
    Which brings me here to ask for some help and guidance, in this particular instance. Is this a glitch? is there something in the video that I am missing?

My guild made what I think was it's first real attempt on 10 man Hodir tonight, and it was quite a learning experience. The overall strategy of the fight is fairly straightforward, it's clearly a very mobile fight so people need to be constantly moving to avoid taking excess damage from the debuff. Group consisted of two warrior tanks with I think two pieces of frost resist gear each on them, 1 paladin healer, 2 druid healers, 2 shadow priests, one Ret paladin, one balance druid and one elemental shaman. I had a few questions i'm hoping someone might be able to answer. How important is the frost resist gear to have? I don't know anything about how resist gear mitigates damage, so i'm not at all sure what amount of frost resist is ideal to have here without gimping dps to the point where it becomes impossible to down the boss. With the exception of the tanks, I don't think anyone else in the raid had any frost resist gear on so we were taking some decent damage from the aoe and debuff at times.

The real problem we were running into was even with most of the group managing to survive, we weren't even able to get him down past 50% before the enrage timer hit. Just where dps is focused on is clearly an issue here it would seem. The one thing that was going on was every time the aoe freeze happened and the npcs got frozen, all the dps was focused on getting those npcs out of the ice tombs. There was a comment I found on this thread suggesting that just freeing the mage and allowing him to free the others is a better strategy? I'm also wondering if some of it may be fault with the composition of the raid group. It is very ranged heavy, only one melee dps besides the tanks, so would it possibly work better to have a better mix of ranged and melee dps, let the ranged work at freeing the tombed npcs and keep melee on the boss as much as possible? I'm just hoping to find some information that might help my raid group down this boss. I've found these videos and accompanying threads to be immensely helpful when it comes to educating myself on raid encounters so I have an idea of what to expect. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Does standing Hodir in the snowfall do any damage to him at all? someone on the server mentioned that it does. Can anyone confirm or deny?
    Last edited by Bornshire; 06-09-2009 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhylaari View Post
    My guild made what I think was it's first real attempt on 10 man Hodir tonight, and it was quite a learning experience. The overall strategy of the fight is fairly straightforward, it's clearly a very mobile fight so people need to be constantly moving to avoid taking excess damage from the debuff. Group consisted of two warrior tanks with I think two pieces of frost resist gear each on them, 1 paladin healer, 2 druid healers, 2 shadow priests, one Ret paladin, one balance druid and one elemental shaman. I had a few questions i'm hoping someone might be able to answer. How important is the frost resist gear to have? I don't know anything about how resist gear mitigates damage, so i'm not at all sure what amount of frost resist is ideal to have here without gimping dps to the point where it becomes impossible to down the boss. With the exception of the tanks, I don't think anyone else in the raid had any frost resist gear on so we were taking some decent damage from the aoe and debuff at times.

The real problem we were running into was even with most of the group managing to survive, we weren't even able to get him down past 50% before the enrage timer hit. Just where dps is focused on is clearly an issue here it would seem. The one thing that was going on was every time the aoe freeze happened and the npcs got frozen, all the dps was focused on getting those npcs out of the ice tombs. There was a comment I found on this thread suggesting that just freeing the mage and allowing him to free the others is a better strategy? I'm also wondering if some of it may be fault with the composition of the raid group. It is very ranged heavy, only one melee dps besides the tanks, so would it possibly work better to have a better mix of ranged and melee dps, let the ranged work at freeing the tombed npcs and keep melee on the boss as much as possible? I'm just hoping to find some information that might help my raid group down this boss. I've found these videos and accompanying threads to be immensely helpful when it comes to educating myself on raid encounters so I have an idea of what to expect. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    2 Tanks? How does this work? 1 should defnitely go DPS for this fight.

With both 1 ret pala and 2 shadow priests the AOE healing you're getting from Judgement of Light and Vamipic Embrace would probably negate the need for 3 healers. Maybe have 1 priest go DPS too?
    • Have all your DPS break out the Mage every flash freeze.
    • Let the mage break out the other NPCs
    • Have your tank tank the boss near the other NPCS so your DPS can do some AOE to help break out the other NPCs
    • Have at leat 1 DPS stand in the fire to put the stacking Spellpower debuff on the Boss (stacks to 30 i believe)
    • Have the rest of your DPS use both the fire, moon beams and crit buff to maximize their DPS.
    • Ensure everyone keeps moving so as not build up the stacking debuff

Frost Resist v. Defence Cap

I have frost resistance gear, but dont know if I should actually use it, I lose my defence cap when I equip it, what I want to know is what would be a good mix?... 1 piece and a shaman's frost resist totem, 2? I don't want to give up Defense Rating to the point I get myself, and the raid, into trouble, and, being very new to tanking, I have to admit that I do not know where that line is. Any help would be beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket-Gnome View Post
    I have frost resistance gear, but dont know if I should actually use it, I lose my defence cap when I equip it, what I want to know is what would be a good mix?... 1 piece and a shaman's frost resist totem, 2? I don't want to give up Defense Rating to the point I get myself, and the raid, into trouble, and, being very new to tanking, I have to admit that I do not know where that line is. Any help would be beneficial.
    You can always gem the FR pieces for defense. And Cider does mention in the Hodir video that he is using 2 pieces of frost resistance gear. That combined with frost resistance aura/totem from pallies/shamans is more than enough to smoothen the spike damage out.

+ Reply to Thread