+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ulduar Hodir

I ran with four pieces (chest, belt, boots, ring), plus a frost resist aura, and it was REALLY easy. I resisted about 2/3 of the Frozen Blows; he hit for about normal with the buff active.

Fun fight with all the positioning the melee by lights and fires. Like Malygos without worrying about cleaves and breaths.

Quote Originally Posted by theothersteve7 View Post
    Fun fight with all the positioning the melee by lights and fires. Like Malygos without worrying about cleaves and breaths.
    Excellent... you answered my question on whether or not the boss had a cleave. I assumed he did not based upon movement in the video, but wanted further confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    Go into video settings, make sure Projected Textures is enabled.

I have no idea why they defaulted that off.
    Because they wanted to make this encounter HARD! I kid... We actually spent some time wiping to Hodir this weekend. Probably about 45 minutes until someone said outloud "why the hell are people dying to snow?". We 2 shot him after the raid knew where not to stand. Only reason we didn't 1 shot him was cause our priest dc'd and angeled late in the fight.

--

That being said, I tanked him with just a FrR Totem in 10man. I am kind of worried about 25's. We were gonna just have our Feral tank him in full FrR, but that idea went out the door. How are people managing to stay Def capped with 3-4 pieces of FrR gear on?

Well can't wait for Ulduar

What are the names of the songs used in this video? :D

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    Because they wanted to make this encounter HARD! I kid... We actually spent some time wiping to Hodir this weekend. Probably about 45 minutes until someone said outloud "why the hell are people dying to snow?". We 2 shot him after the raid knew where not to stand. Only reason we didn't 1 shot him was cause our priest dc'd and angeled late in the fight.

--

That being said, I tanked him with just a FrR Totem in 10man. I am kind of worried about 25's. We were gonna just have our Feral tank him in full FrR, but that idea went out the door. How are people managing to stay Def capped with 3-4 pieces of FrR gear on?
    Use a defense trinket, then gem for defense if more is needed.

about frost resistance for a tank in this fight

Hello.

Have you ever tested or heard if acclimation stays at 3 stacks during this fight? And would it be possible to tank it with mere acclimation and frost resistance aura, if it stays at 3 stacks? (total 280 frost resistance)

And if not, How often does Hodir do that frozen blows? Is it possible for me to just pop 21second icebound fortitude every time he does that instead of getting FR gear (reduces about 75% damage total for me)?

I have a question and a suggestion.

Suggestion: In the 10man version, we found that only freeing the mage (Missy Flamecuffs) made the fight much easier. We had all our dps free him to start, then just our 2 mages free him after flash freezes. Eventually he'll free all the other NPCs on his own allowing you to keep lots of dps on the boss.

Question: I keep reading that Hodir has two "hard modes." One for a sub 2:30 kill, and one for a sub 6min kill. My timer showed we killed him in 5:51, yet we received no extra loot. Was this removed for live?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    DK tank 3 peices of epic crafted Frost Gear, Def trinket from naxx 10 + a few def gems I'm 541 Def and over resists cap with Aura.

The World of Warcraft Armory

In my Frost gear right now for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    Hello.
    And if not, How often does Hodir do that frozen blows? Is it possible for me to just pop 21second icebound fortitude every time he does that instead of getting FR gear (reduces about 75% damage total for me)?
    That would mean you have an almost impossible amount of defense.

Does anyone know for sure if wearing frost resist gear helps to mitigate the Biting Cold damage?

We tried this last night (in heroic) and it didn't go so well. Looking at the logs after the fact, Biting Cold caused anywhere from about 17k dmg to me (MT, 540 Def, 417 FrR, ~ 43,000 HP) over 9 attempts, but it did over 400,000 dmg to some of our casters over the same number of attempts.

Granted, I know some of that will be artificially inflated as people stop moving after calling a wipe, but does anyone know if this damage can be at least partially resisted?

I'm crossing my fingers that it's not people just failing to move.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Can you directly spell reflect when he gains Freezing Blows?

Murdog mentioned that imp. spell reflect will reflect from 2 raid members but Hodir can't be reflected without the talented version.

Confirm/Deny?

Headed in there tonight to tank it with 3 pieces of FrR gear mixed into regular tank set. Fingers crossed!

Does anyone have any opinions on how much health is really needed for this fight as a solo tank? We had some attempts at Hodir last night and got him down after a few, but threat seemed to be a much bigger issue than it should have on the attempts that we didn't get him down, though with some changes on the last one I feel it went better.

Anyway, tanking him I was in 3-piece Polar with just under 54k health raid buffed having added in a stamina trinket and switched out some agi pieces for more stam again. However I had lost ~8% crit, was down to 24 expertise from 40, and missing around 400 AP which really didn't seem to help when stacked with the damage and crit buffs.

However since the healers didn't seem to have any troubles keeping me up I'm thinking we decided on stacking too much stamina for me and I could afford to drop some, just not sure how much.

Cider, I am curious about the 10k crit I saw in the video.

I'm curious if you think you were under the effect of Improved Tricks of the Trade at the time or no?

If no, how in God's Name did you land a 10k crit? My highest to date is just over 9k on a priest in PvP.

During the Hodir fight, if broken out of the ice, the shamans put the Storm Cloud buff on players.

"Charges a nearby friendly target with lightning, increasing critical strike damage by 135% for 30 sec."

we tried him for a few times now had him to 10% then ppl are to fucused on that worthless piece of addon recount and stopped moving and such
    oh i only wish i knew where they live and kick them in the nuts personaly

Thx for the vids tho helped allot

Quote Originally Posted by Kancho View Post
    Can you directly spell reflect when he gains Freezing Blows?
    Has anyone tried this recently and does it work? I found some reference to it working on the PTR but wonder whether it made it to live.

Edit: Tried spell reflect last night and it does not appear to reflect anything.
    Last edited by Polar; 05-11-2009 at 06:18 PM.

@Myrm: I do 2 pieces of FR gear and my healers and myself cycle CD's for Frozen Blows to be on the safe side. If you have 2 priests glyphed for GS, you should be able to have a CD available every time he gains Frozen Blows.

Our strat calls for melee to stay on the boss the entire time while ranged frees the NPC's after the Flash Freezes, so I put vigilance on a rogue for threat. Also, whenever possible, I try to find clusters of Moonbeams so both melee and myself can get the haste buff. And if you can find a Toasty Fire by a Moonbeam that's even better.
    Bihn | <Summit>
    Seatbelts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jogre View Post
    I have a question and a suggestion.

Suggestion: In the 10man version, we found that only freeing the mage (Missy Flamecuffs) made the fight much easier. We had all our dps free him to start, then just our 2 mages free him after flash freezes. Eventually he'll free all the other NPCs on his own allowing you to keep lots of dps on the boss.

Question: I keep reading that Hodir has two "hard modes." One for a sub 2:30 kill, and one for a sub 6min kill. My timer showed we killed him in 5:51, yet we received no extra loot. Was this removed for live?

Thanks in advance.

3min kill like patchwork. gogogogo

What is the all in one addons that Ciderhelm is using? cuz i couldnt find it anywhere (probly cuz i dont know what it is called) could someone be kind enough to tell me that what kinda of addon that is? i appreciate it

+ Reply to Thread