+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Ulduar Ignis the Furnace Master

When we downed ignis (10man)
    All we did was kite the boss much like in this video.
    i was hitting the adds and taking them into the flames i wouldn’t worry to much about rooting them in the flames, the flames didn’t seem to do too much dam (dk unholy tank) without using any dam reduction / antimagic. obv when using them it made it alot less.
    The only worry is as ciderhelm stated if the dps you are using to destroy the adds gets slag potted the standby dps needs to be quick to respond there’s nothing worse than having to get 2 maybe 3 adds stacked up and destroyed its doable but not fun .

people wondering about how to stop the tank or dps getting hurt by the brittle add explode as soon as the brittle add hits the water he can no longer move, all the tank / dps has to do is to carry on moving whilst your dps (mage,warlock,druid,etc) casts there spell and the kiter will never take any dam.

Also since ignis has been hot fixed he is now a boss we skip until the end of the week so we have longer to play around on the others (hard modes etc)

gl to all

Has anybody checked to see if "brittle" counts as an incapacitate effect as far as a ret paladin and seal of command are concerned?

I ask because we were attempting him 10-man, with some fairly mediocre dps, and nobody with any really big hits that were gauranteed to shatter the golems (one ret paladin, two warlocks, an enh shaman, and I don't actually remember the 5th dps). The only way anyone in the party could hit for 5k+ was on a crit, so we were having the shaman spam lightning bolt and hope. It wasn't going very well, especially when he got potted. If we coulda had the ret paladin auto-judge crit for 7k or whatever, that woulda been awesome.

Of course, for most ret paladins that would require speccing into SoC =/ I dunno, if we end up with a similar setup of light-hitters next time we try Ulduar I'll have to experiment.

If your warlocks can't produce a 5k crit then you have problems.

Yes a Ret Pala could probably eat the aoe.

Ignis - Using the extinguish scorch tactic:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IURcQ9lRhq0"]YouTube - Warsong Warchiefs VS Ignis the Furnace Master (10man)[/ame]

It is by far the better tactic I've seen so far and done successfully with.

Do you think tankspot can recreate it maybe?
    Last edited by ragnarokroan; 05-31-2009 at 01:54 PM.

Ignis positioning

I was wondering. I saw a successful strategy done where Ignis heated the stones on the east side of the line running north to south between the water holes and the raid stood on the west side in the center. Is that acceptable in your opinion? It allows the raid to always avoid standing in fire and a fairly easy time for the tank to move him out of fire without Ignis having to travel too far to put someone in his slag pot.

The way I saw you folks do it 25 man was the way we succeeded in 10 man. The fire was dropped on all 4 corners near the water. In your opinion would either way work?

This encounter can be easy if ppl dont stress about it. Just have ur ot tank the constructs in the scorch. Give him a single target healer and just let him tank in the flame til the add gets 10 stacks. once brittle ot simply pulls him in nearest pool, and have ur mage one shot it when ur out of range of the burst. When i ot'd this last night, i found that even when my healer was in the slag i was able to tank a construct in the scorch long enough for him to get 10 stacks easily without me coming even close to dying. Side note...i found this fight very entertaining for a tank. It was something new and challenging instead of just standing in front of a boss.

Nice video, handy for tanks before they will engage Ignis for Their first time.
    Maybe it will be a lil "offtop", but why all trying to force there offtanking in 10 man (normal) Ulduar?
    Im tanking Ignis and all adds at once, with 1 tank + 3 healers + 6 dps raid group. As guild We think its a lot easier way to down Ignis then trying to britle adds. Sometimes its only way to do Ignis if Your offtanks arent able to do Their job well.
    Im posting that only for guilds which dont have enough tanks/or got other tanking issues/ and think they arent able to do that. Now U know that its doable this way, so try it too

A tactic suggestion for Ignis the Furnacemaster.

Hallo i play horde on the realm The Venture Co.

we have discovered a really simple and easy tactic for Ignis.
    i don't know if it has been typed here yet, didn't read all posts. i made this post after watching the movie.

The tactic is we pull Ignis on mount and ride back to the left pool(when you enter the place) when he is positioned we turn him right away to his furnace so han can make a fire tower to molt the golems.
    After he makes the fire tower the MT turns him tourch the left pool, so everytime he then tries to make a fire, it will not come.
    but you do have to turn him around tourch his furnace every 20 second so he can do a new fire.
    This will allow the OT to tank the add close to the water all the time and dont have to move much.

The raid will be positioned right behind Ignis, will be on the square after the middle line thingy.
    we are using a Shaman who will be standing in the water line all the time, to blast 5k dmg.
    doing this also make it much easier for the tank so see where the adds are coming from. since he wont have fire towers all over the place.
    this way his vision will only be bad behind ignis(left side closest to the ramp)

I have personally used this tactic along with my Tanking Death knight and my healing Preist. and it works out quiet well. if someone is interested i would try and make a video showing excatly what we are doing.

We have got this down now I would say the tactics that matter.

1.) The tank on ignis needs to straffe the moment you see the jets that put the hot spot on ground. Ideally you are never in the hot spot or only for a minimum time to help minimize damage on you. You healers are easily able to heal you thru it but that assumes they aren't do other things and its so easy to move it makes the healers life alot easier.

2.) The add tank needs to not panic and assuming the MT is doing the above even having 2 or 3 adds up is not dangerous to MT's health. The key is to tank the adds and only make them molten when everything is under control. The adds hit alot harder when they are molten and drop agro so you need to have that process under control.

3.) All dps including range should follow ignis around being at his back. If a healer gets stuck in pot all the raid is still in range of healer and if the OT gets stuck in pot the MT can grab any lose add because everyone is within taunt range.

How many spots and where I find matters little if you use the above.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

Quote Originally Posted by hvidgaard View Post
    Traditionally, exploiting the pathing is if you posistion yourself so mobs need to run in a way negating encounter mechanics - I call this strategy an exploit in that sense
    That description would label kiting as an exploitation as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Deroloque View Post
    Im curious what abilities besides Power Word: Shield will protect a player from the knock up/interrupt. Does Grounding Totem work?
    Don't know about Grounding Totem, but hunters can use Deterrence to dodge two or even three Jets during the fight. Not that useful but nifty anyway. :P

hey first of all can i say great video it helped us alot on out first attempts on Ignis this week (10 Man), we are struggling with handling the people in the slag pots especially if its druid who is rooting the constructs in the scorch area, i was just wondering if you guys could give us any advice on how to deal with this situation, as we are really struggling if this happens.

Thanks in advance

Silentknight

Death Knight Arcanum Stormrage EU

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalHitman View Post
    hey first of all can i say great video it helped us alot on out first attempts on Ignis this week (10 Man), we are struggling with handling the people in the slag pots especially if its druid who is rooting the constructs in the scorch area, i was just wondering if you guys could give us any advice on how to deal with this situation, as we are really struggling if this happens.
    What do you mean exactly by struggling with the handling the people in slag pot? Them dying or what? First of all, it's good to remind everyone that you CAN heal yourself (if you are capable of healing, that is), use healthstones/pots and so on in Slag Pot. Also, assing backup for the druid who is responsible for rooting the constructs - for example, hunters/mages/pretty much anyone can kite the constructs around until the druid is free again.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalHitman View Post

Thanks in advance

Silentknight

Death Knight Arcanum Stormrage EU
    Well in my guild we are using a tank to keep the add inside the fire so we wont risk that like this here will happend. yes it might be a little healing intense but any healer should be able to keep up on the heals. well if you got t7 you can easely do it, i got my preist to lvl 80 my guild took me through naxx 10 and i did some hcs and i got t7 gear, well shortly after the wanted me in uld 10 and uld 25. so it is possible to keep up on the heals. you can always check out Cassundra on The Venture Co. Guild: Group of Amateurs. see gear and achs it is possible with that "crap" gear.

the adds

i have a few ideas if you dont have a druid in 10 man.
    1. eat it and suck it up. (worst possible.)
    2. have a pally tank stun lock them inside with seal & hammer of justice. (my strat)
    3. have a warrior tank kite them back and forth while slowing them with a hunter trap. (really bad idea but it worked...... well at least we downed him)
    Last edited by zelikofcc; 07-06-2009 at 03:17 PM. Reason: left out #4

A warrior can concussion blow or shockwave to stun them in the same manner as a pally no need to kite.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

touche ugly touche. basicly sense they are stunable it makes the adds easy to get molten now. i still like having a druid though

Ok, here is the fully explained and now properly illustrated guide to super ultra easy mode I'm here to collect my free lewts Ignis. If you follow this strat and fail to 1 shot him with ease you have no business in Ulduar whatsoever.

Position ranged and healers on the raised ledge that exists in all but the very middle on each side of the room around the water. This places the majority of the raid directly behind the innactive constructs but about 1 yard off the floor and roughly 1/2 way down from the large pools. We did this for 2 reasons. This ledge has a sharp edge on the side facing the center of the room and a gradual slope on the side facing the pool behind the raid. When constructs become molten, they reset aggro. Constructs cannot path directly to a ranged dps or healer who is standing on the raised ledge. This works to our advantage.

That leads to the 2nd reason. This forces the constructs to run up the only way they can reach the ledge, through the water as they attempt to come up the gradual slope on the back side of the ledge. The end result is the constructs becoming molten, aggroing onto healers since we root them in scorch, and making themselves brittle. Additionally, if they are 1/2 way across the ledge they will be out of range from the AOE caused both by them being molten and then when they are shattered. This strat allows healers and ranged to be fully in LOS of all melee and tanks at all times. It should be noted that Ignis doesn't fall prey to the need to path around the ledge due to his height so it allows him to grab players without having to cause a massive positioning issue.

At the start tank him with his right side to the ledge (either of the 2 ledges furthest from Ignis will do but this will follow the graphic). We have melee stand just in front of the ledge. Tank him with his sides and back facing melee and ranged, and move as indicated. If you start moving as he casts scorch you don't take dmg from it and since he' can only have 2 up at any time you always have a place to stand if you move to the oldest one each time by following the path shown. We only have to assign 1 person to kite constructs into the scorches, 2 people to snare them inside, and no one has to worry about them once they become molten they reset aggro and get healer aggro that takes care of their pathing straight into the water. A single ranged dps doesn't even have to move as they are in LOS from the point where they become brittle as they shatter them.

The pull can be done by the tank mounting and proximity aggroing Ignis and hightailing it to the MT position indicated that is the furthest from Ignis in the graphic or just having a hunter misdirect. Healers, DPS, jsut need to make sure they understand to not touch ignis until the tank is in position with Ignis on them. He will drop 1 scorch before getting to the tank so melee should stand off to 1 side until he does.

This method will enable even low DPS guilds to do the boss for the speed kill with ease.
    Last edited by The Leviathan; 07-09-2009 at 05:47 PM.

We tried a new tactic tonight that I haven't read in the thread that I thought I'd mention because it looks like a sound tactic when we tried it even though we wiped (DC and other connection issues mostly).

When I was OTing the adds for our successful attempts (I heal now) I noticed that the hard part was getting aggro back after the golems go molten because of the threat drop combined with the intense healing required to keep up both tanks. Nine times out of ten, when a molten golem goes out of control it beelines to a healer.

Well, we simply had the healers stand in the shallow end of a pool and move whenever a molten golem brittled itself!

The down side of this is that you limit how far from the healer pool Ignus can be tanked, but you also don't need to move Ignus that far so long as the ranged DPS know to not stand between the newest flame pillar (where the OT is tanking golems) and the healers (because if they do the molten golems run right by them and they get tagged with their immolate aura).

Our next Ignus attempt we're going to combine this with a lazy root strategy. The OT's only real job next time will be to lead golems into the flame pillars so they can be rooted. After that he can leave them alone and make a sammich or something while he waits for the next golem to be summoned.

On our latest ignis 10 man kill the guy tanking ignis died so I just tanked him + the adds in front of the water so the adds wouldnt get heated. We will probably use this tactic in future kills (the tank would then go DPS meaning a faster kill and less adds )

If your dps are having trouble shattering adds maybe this could be a viable approach to the fight?

+ Reply to Thread