+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 111

Thread: Ulduar Ignis the Furnace Master

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Senti View Post
    Flame jets is a monster of an attack (8 seconds of not being able to cast in that school of magic if you mess up plus the whole 'can't cast while moving' malarky)... yet I've managed to not get hit at all by it sometimes. Is there a mechanic to allow this to happen all the time or was it perhaps just a resist or something of that nature?
    If you full resist it, or are protected by things such as Power Word: Shield, you wouldn't get the knock up/interrupt effect. I think only if it does damage to you, do you get tossed into the air.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Biloxi, MS
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Sproutster View Post
    I would love to see a video of the diagramed strat. Does anyone know if one exists and where to find it?
    We've only done it once since this week we wanted to push further into Ulduar as fast as we could. I'd assume if Ciderhelm had known this strat he might have found it easier to manage. But, as I said before, I hadn't seen anyone else using this strat and I think it's a terrible shame since it's amazingly easy.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1
    Isn't the 20k from blowing up only done to the boss? It deals 20k, plus removes 1 stack of the buff from him... Or did I read that wrong...

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4
    The 20k is an AOE based off the mob. It hits any players within 10 yards for the damage (which ignores armor.) So the 5k hit needs to land after everyone is outside of 10 yards of it.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    223
    I'm fairly certain that strategy would be considered an exploitation of pathing :/ in any case it isn't really needed, the encounter isn't hard when your construct squad gets the hang of it. To make it even easier you can keep scorch up on both sides of a pool (and negate one into the water) - it really is surprisingly easy.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Biloxi, MS
    Posts
    22
    While I don't believe that's it's an exploit considering how the room is designed, we easily downed him again this way and I do have to point out an error in my previous posts. This won't work at any of the 4 spots I mentioned previously... The 2 closest to Ignis have invisible walls that prevent you from swimming around. But on the other hand I found it's easy to ride up to the boss, aggro him, and ride back to the raid. No misdirection needed.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2
    Great video helped my guild a lot, both on how to tank him and the tactics

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    17
    The boss is easy even with the normal strategy not using the diagramed positioning. The problem is that it will probably will be fixed since it trivializes the encounter and your raid has to learn to do it all over again, which certainly isn't a motivation booster. Just do it as in the video (well I do 3 instead of 2 scorches on one side, but that doesn't really change things) and you'll never have to deal with learning the encounter once again.

    Our guild did the Archimonde firstkill with the "standing on the edge of the map on the hills" strategy and ooh boy did it suck to learn the boss once again after it was fixed.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagronjr View Post
    If you full resist it, or are protected by things such as Power Word: Shield, you wouldn't get the knock up/interrupt effect. I think only if it does damage to you, do you get tossed into the air.
    Im curious what abilities besides Power Word: Shield will protect a player from the knock up/interrupt. Does Grounding Totem work?

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Biloxi, MS
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Togrin View Post
    The boss is easy even with the normal strategy not using the diagramed positioning. The problem is that it will probably will be fixed since it trivializes the encounter and your raid has to learn to do it all over again, which certainly isn't a motivation booster. Just do it as in the video (well I do 3 instead of 2 scorches on one side, but that doesn't really change things) and you'll never have to deal with learning the encounter once again.

    Our guild did the Archimonde firstkill with the "standing on the edge of the map on the hills" strategy and ooh boy did it suck to learn the boss once again after it was fixed.
    Not exactly one for variety or creativity are you? We aren't exploiting, we didn't wall jump, and I don't see why they'd bother to make the layout like this if they didn't intend for it to be used in some fashion.

    You don't have to look at the way 1 guild decided to do it and say "That's how it needs to be done by everyone!". Sorry if we put a little more thought into our method.

    The simple facts are we aren't doing anything that hasn't been done before in other encounters and has become the accepted method of doing them. We just looked at what we were given and used that the most logical way. If Blizzard decides to fix it so this no longer works then so be it. If they don't and we continue to 1 shot this boss each week can we say that's Blizzard congratulating us for figuring out a better way?

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    223
    The Leviathan - the simple fact that you can't use all 4 ledges is a pretty stong hint that it probably wasn't intented (and no, they don't make layout sole for the practical aspects. I bet the looks got much more to do with it ). Traditionally, exploiting the pathing is if you posistion yourself so mobs need to run in a way negating encounter mechanics - I call this strategy an exploit in that sense - after all I believe that this encounter was designed with ranged taunts in mind

    It might be fixed, it might not, it all depends on how much of a challenge Blizzard intented this boss to be.

  12. #52
    The boss seems really overtuned for 10 man. Our guild can do Razorscale, XT-002, and 2 guys down in Iron Council but this guy is too hard apparently. We've tried burning, rooting, tanking in the flames but it won't work because he will kill people with his adds or his pot. Anyone else seeing extreme difficulties in the 10 man version?
    Gertiploiss, the tank without a cause or reason.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Biloxi, MS
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by hvidgaard View Post
    Traditionally, exploiting the pathing is if you posistion yourself so mobs need to run in a way negating encounter mechanics - I call this strategy an exploit in that sense .
    Did you play Naxx, AQ 40, or even BWL for that matter?

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by The Leviathan View Post
    Did you play Naxx, AQ 40, or even BWL for that matter?
    Not in vanilla wow no, that doesn't make my point invalid tho, you can't just quote what fits you and ignore the rest. Besides, if Blizzard did an enviroment with this in mind (think Anub'Rekhan) it's near darn impossible without doing it (without outgearing it), and that certainly isn't the case here.

    Gertiploiss - no, but it really depends if you have a construct squad that gets the hang of it. I would say that a Frost DK/Balance Druid probably is the best to take care of it. When you say people die in the pot, are you only running with 2 healers? 3 healers makes it a hell of a lot easier.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1

    the random hunter in the forum

    Hea ciderhelm i was wondering what the name of the hunter was. since i saw that he was pushing out 5k dps or so and i am having trouble with my dps. i want to see what spec he has and what not. TY

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    DC area
    Posts
    11
    Does anyone know if you can stack the scorches? Would that increase the rate of making the constructs molten?

    I just thought of this because we had a fail fest last night, with an OT that couldn't seem to get the mobs to become molten. We also had noone rooting/slowing, so that will help a lot.

    I still wondered about stacking scorches though.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1
    Just wanted to post another thanks for a great video and explanation of this fight. We got him down tonight for the first time and went on to kill the IC as well, both first kills for us on our second night of raiding for the week. Keep up the good work!!

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Heirbiscuit View Post
    Does anyone know if you can stack the scorches? Would that increase the rate of making the constructs molten?
    Stacking them is possible and it does make them molten much faster. I did this as the MT and found it to be fairly easy to keep all the scorches stacked in one pile. Stacked scorch makes it easier for the OT and druid, since they dont have to worry about a scorch disipating under a golem and losing all of the buff stacks. The added burn damage isnt much of an issue (10 man) unless the tanks happen to get vented in the 1-2 seconds they are standing in the scorch, even when this happened healing thru is possible.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Biloxi, MS
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by hvidgaard View Post
    Not in vanilla wow no, that doesn't make my point invalid tho, you can't just quote what fits you and ignore the rest. Besides, if Blizzard did an enviroment with this in mind (think Anub'Rekhan) it's near darn impossible without doing it (without outgearing it), and that certainly isn't the case here.
    Actually, if you're basing the argument that this is an exploit because you think taking advantage or pathing isn't intended then it does make your point invalid. If you had to do a great number of encounters like the ones I listed (hell, I'll even include Morgrim from SSC before they nerfbatted the hell out of that place) back then it was still progression raiding and couldn't grossly outgeared, then you'd be laughing at someone who said that too. It's possible that Blizzard didn't intend for this method. But it certainly wouldn't be the first time a similar method was widely considered the way it was done by the majority of the raiding community.

    The simple fact is that this kill is very efficient, doesn't have a restrictive requirement for raid composition other than some form of snares, requires minimal movement of ranged and healers, and greatly reduces raid dmg compared to the other ones being used at the moment stands on it's own.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by The Leviathan View Post
    Actually, if you're basing the argument that this is an exploit because you think taking advantage or pathing isn't intended then it does make your point invalid. If you had to do a great number of encounters like the ones I listed (hell, I'll even include Morgrim from SSC before they nerfbatted the hell out of that place) back then it was still progression raiding and couldn't grossly outgeared, then you'd be laughing at someone who said that too. It's possible that Blizzard didn't intend for this method. But it certainly wouldn't be the first time a similar method was widely considered the way it was done by the majority of the raiding community.

    The simple fact is that this kill is very efficient, doesn't have a restrictive requirement for raid composition other than some form of snares, requires minimal movement of ranged and healers, and greatly reduces raid dmg compared to the other ones being used at the moment stands on it's own.
    and ingenious. i say well done for taking the time to figure out how your surroundings can work in your favor. we have ignus down the regular way but if there's a smarter way then i'm all for it. there are enough hard
    (gimicky) fights in 10ulduar to make up for this one being smoother now. thanks for the new strat, looking forward to trying it.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts