+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Ulduar Ignis the Furnace Master

Cider and the TS team, with Ulduar, the OT role is so important now as well and is no longer just as simple as how Naxx OTing used to be. It would be great if you could also provide addendum movies that cover the OT role for the encounters, ie with this one, Ignis. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    Well, you can do what the movie suggests with a single Druid rooting and another tank bringing them to position. We specifically used this as our 10-man strat as well so with no Druid I don't have an answer other than to suck it up and eat the fire damage in 10-man (hopefully someone else has a better idea and can post it).

the fire in 10 man does significantly less damage, Conc blow it in the fire and run away for 5 seconds then charge back in and tank it in the fire.

Downed it on my alt in 10 man last night using this strat and only came close to dieing once when flame jets when out right as he transformed at 20

Basically as an OT in this fight your main goal is to keep good communication with a druid for roots. Roots make this fight extremley easier on your healers and your self. Pick up the add, drag it in the flame and get a root, when it changes taunt and take it to the water. SB then SS and it should shatter, if not assign a mage.

Had some fun with this guy on the weekend, wiped 20 times total. (didn't have the benefit of this video) We had been trying something similar and had been able to get him quite low but never killed him. In the end we decided to stop moving him around, position him in the middle, and simply rotate him every time he did the scorch. He scorched in 3 directions and we stood in the open spot. This gave the raid great visibility in the fight and we allways pulled the molten guy to a nearby pool. We easily got it on the second try with that strat.

With out strat we chose to shatter three and then burn boss. To maximize dps time we tanking Ignis facing the water to the side. This makes the scorch disapate as soon as its been cast. Allowing minimal movement and a quick burn

Give this strat a try and tell me the fight isn't a joke after that.
    http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f206/...tml#post212211
    I know the explanation is a bit wordy, but I was trying to be clear on the positioning.

We had a workable strat and got him to 6% last night so frustratingly close. We had frost specced mage and with the water elemental he had pretty much unlimited frost novas to help lock the Constructs in place so that I as OT could get out of the scorchs.

Basically we had a four point scorch location around the two pools of water and I as OT would pick up the constructs run to a scorch mage would frost nova. I would run out and just as the frost nova broke I would charge or intercept depending on which was available and CB or SW depending on which was available and then the mage would frost nova again. At this point the construct was Molten and I would run to the pool and taunt always making sure to be in range of a charge or intercept incase the healer was too close and the aggro was greater than the taunt.

I am very confident that now we are rested and confident in our strategy we will down ignis tonight. Hope this helps to show that you dont have to use a druid to entangle.

Killed him today with me on add duty. The most dangerous thing about the golems is, that they do heavy AoE fire damage in a 7 yard radius once they are molten. What worked best for me was to tank them in a fire up to 15/20 stacks of the debuff, concussion blow and run towards a pool. The golem becomes molten by the time the stun runs out, and I just taunted + heroic throw if available to make him run into the pool. I was also wearing some fire resist, brought me to 225 FR with a pally aura. This way I never had more than one golem active and could avoid the molten AoE.

Not trying to fix the wheel, but voiding 1/2 the scorches with the water helps. We use the front corners next to the water. (Front being that they are near Ignus.) We have him scorch here, cross sides, scorch the water, scorch the corner, cross back, repeat. We had ~95% Scorch Uptime and used two Boomkin + Tank + Healer packs to patrol every other add.

In 10 man, if you don't have druids... Run the add in, stun/chains of ice it, and run out.. but barely out. Just enough to not take the stacks. As the mob runs at you he will stop to attack you and he's but you're not. Takes more healing, as the melee damage is now added, but you don't have to run in and out of fire like other methods suggest.

Tanking adds!

I got 2 questions regarding this fight =)

1. Is it okay for the golem tanking tank to stand inside scorch or will he take to much damage?

2. When the golem becomes Molten you said he will lose all agro. Is he going to be tanked the same way afterwards. Can i taunt and tps it ? Like, is it still going to be tankable?

1. Depends on healing. In today's patch, the damage is nerfed. Keep in mind though, you're taking fire ticks + adds damage and over time he swings faster. I recommend trying to hold him in the edge if no CC is available (roots).

2. It's just an aggro wipe. He's tankable in all general senses, but the second he goes molten it's an aggro wipe.

Leviathan...that sounds like an interesting strat. One I hope that Blizz don't 'hotfix' but a valid one all the same. Just to get things straight:
    1. Ranged and healers don't move at all for the whole fight and stay on the ledge?
    2. How far back from the ledge is the MT tanking him? And I am guessing your OT just hags with the melee and roots the golems as they join?
    3. Do the golems head straight for the middle of the pool to get around? ie. through the centre sections?

Might give this a try. Sounds crazy easy, and the fact it's a sloped ledge.....hmmm.
    More freaking plate drops then a Greek Wedding...

Quote Originally Posted by Dagronjr View Post
    1. Depends on healing. In today's patch, the damage is nerfed. Keep in mind though, you're taking fire ticks + adds damage and over time he swings faster. I recommend trying to hold him in the edge if no CC is available (roots).

2. It's just an aggro wipe. He's tankable in all general senses, but the second he goes molten it's an aggro wipe.

Thanks alot mate ! Peace

1. Correct, ranged and healers never have to move with this setup.

2. You only need to leave room for melee to get behind the boss. I'd guess I was able to tank him with about 2-3 yards between him and the ledge. Just in front of the dormant golem line. I only tanked him there to give myself the option of going in front or behind the scorches without getting out of range from heals as I continued laying them in a straight, unbroken line from left to right.

3. All the OT has to do is get them to run through the scorch. They can be stunned and rooted so the OT doesn't have to stand in the scorch at all. Just as long as they are lead through to be rooted in it. Once they become molten, the ledge forces them to path through the larger, shallow portion of the pool as they attempt to get to the ranged/healers. It completely eliminated the OT or melee taking AOE dmg if they sidestep the molten golems as they come in from the far right. Otherwise they don't have to worry about it at all.

The point is it IS crazy easy. And I don't see it as an exploit or something they will hotfix. It's not like anyone walljumped to get there. It's just taking advantage of the way the golems are forced to path and I believe it's intended.

End result, it's doable by any guild with decent healers, and minimal group composition requirements. Just understand the setup and it's cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Sempx View Post
    I got 2 questions regarding this fight =)

1. Is it okay for the golem tanking tank to stand inside scorch or will he take to much damage?

2. When the golem becomes Molten you said he will lose all agro. Is he going to be tanked the same way afterwards. Can i taunt and tps it ? Like, is it still going to be tankable?
    Read the strat I posted and you'll see that this works to your advantage.

Like that mate? I did a dodgy MS Paint diagram....hopefully that's what it looks like? I am guessing the MT can be a lot closer to the ranged and healers but I think that's the drift.

Thanks Lev, sounds like an awesome strat. The fact that ramp is sloped at the back...it has to be intentional. It's only the 2nd boss or so, so it can't be that complicated to have OT's running in and out of water getting nuked by fire etc.
    More freaking plate drops then a Greek Wedding...

I gotta say, I should have drawn that to begin with. You have it down exactly as I discussed. Thanks man. Yeah, the scale on how far out the MT and boss will be is off* but it makes seeing the concept easier.

My only other notes are that you can use any of the 4 ledges in the room and the tank won't have to move as far left as you indicated with the arrows. If you don't have a hunter for misdirect, the closer ledges might be more ideal but will take the tank a little longer to position.

*the tank and boss will actually be much closer to the ranged and melee.
    Last edited by The Leviathan; 04-21-2009 at 09:23 AM.

Flame jets is a monster of an attack (8 seconds of not being able to cast in that school of magic if you mess up plus the whole 'can't cast while moving' malarky)... yet I've managed to not get hit at all by it sometimes. Is there a mechanic to allow this to happen all the time or was it perhaps just a resist or something of that nature?

I would love to see a video of the diagramed strat. Does anyone know if one exists and where to find it?

Thank you for this excellent guide. We did Ignis on our 3rd attempt with minimal fuss thanks to this.

Very simple tactic, yet also very sleek.

+ Reply to Thread