+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stacking Damage Mitigation Tests

Stacking Damage Mitigation Tests

Ok. I've seen some confusion on what stacks with what in regards to Damage Reduction abilities in 3.1.

Here is the lowdown.

(1)BoSanc and Vigilance DO NOT stack.
    (2)Renewed Hope, BoSanc, Imp Righteous Fury and Argent Defender DO INDEED stack. Each DR% is taken off after the other is applied.
    (3)Renewed Hope & Vigilance DO INDEED stack. Each DR% is taken off after the other is applied.

Below are the numbers as they stack on a Prot Pally. He has 6% passive(spell) DR, so the baseline is lower to start. I used Penance as a baseline because it has only a 1point damage spread.

799 :BASELINE
    776 :BoSanc (OR Vigilance)
    753 :BoSanc + Renewed Hope
    708 :BoSanc + Renewed Hope + Imp Righteous Fury
    495 :BoSanc + Renewed Hope + Imp Righteous Fury + Ardent Defender

Once we get the new Glyph of Divine Plea, I will test this as well.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion I have seen on numerous forums. Happy Ulduaring!

If it helps, Glyph of Divine Plea did indeed stack with everything on the test realm. I assume it still does live.

Also, are you sure about renewed hope? It didn't use to stack with BoSanc or Vig. How were you testing it?

(1) For Renewed Hope, I had the guild Pally Tank put up BoSanc.
    (2) Then, he challenged me to a duel.
    (3) I hit him with Penance for 776, as opposed to 799 baselined.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    (4) Ended the duel.
    (5) Had the Pally Tank challenge me to a duel.
    (6) Casted PW:S for the 20sec RH and immediately accepted the duel.
    (7) Hit him with Penance before RH faded for 753.

I did the same thing with the same two characters with Vigilance. Just brought in our Warrior Tank to do a Vigilance test and a Vigilance + RH test.

Hmm, I wonder if that changed when they moved it from Grace to RH. I know Grace didn't stack from testing.

Quote Originally Posted by jere View Post
    Hmm, I wonder if that changed when they moved it from Grace to RH. I know Grace didn't stack from testing.
    Confirmed in Ulduar last night. RH & BoSanc stacks.

Just the thread I was searching everywhere for! Thanks a bunch for the information on RH/Vig + BoSanc.

I am not sure if this is the place to post this question, but it seems related so here goes...

If you achieve 75% physical damage reduction (DR) via armor alone, do further DR talents stack on top of this and if so to what extent?

Prot Paladin talents and a Glyph of Divine Plea add up to about 15% DR by themselves. When below 35%hp Ardent Defender adds a further 30% meaning 45% DR via talents and glyphs at low hp. If no cap to DR applies is it not theoretically possible to tank a physical damage only encounter by reaching below 35%hp and staying there (ie. not be healed) if your armor provides at least 55% damage reduction?

DR caps are most probably something covered in a different thread. If so please point me in the right direction. I'd be interested in both spell and physical DR caps if they are separate. If they don't apply then I'd be even happier I guess

Just note that the DR don't "add", they multiply:

6% DR and 3% DR ==> 0.94*0.97=0.9118 ==> 8.82% DR instead of 9%

There are no DR caps unless you are talking about avoidance DR (neither physical nor spell mitigation can ever reach 0 since they are mulitplicative rather than additive). Armor does cap at 75%, but it still multplies in with with all the other effects making your total physical mitigation DR better (and uncapped).

Avoidance DR was explored here: Combat Ratings at level 80 - Elitist Jerks

Thanks again Guess it wouldnt be that much fun if my bunch of pixels wasn't taking damage anyway hehe.
    "Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users?" - Clifford Stoll

+ Reply to Thread