+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ulduar Iron Council

DK tank

For our attempts we had a DK tank on Stormcaller and Molgeim, the DK tank worked really well for a couple of reasons.

1. Overload - When Stormcaller started to cast Overload I poped AMS and damage was nothing didn't even bother to move.

2. Rune of Power - When Molgeim cast Rune of Power he would hit me for up to 18k, so moving him out of the buff fast was essential. I found sometimes it can be a little inconvient to move Stormcaller out of the buff and he'll go crazy with increased damage Chain Lightning on the raid. I was able to get around this thanks to either deathgripping him out of the RoP or Strangulate worked as well. Both fast and easy ways to reposition them.

3. Lightning Whirl - much like a warrior tank, DK's can interupt with Mind Freeze, I waited for Whirl and interupted. also to help interupt other casts and help the healers deathgrip and strangulate still work to interupt and reposition.

Our setup for 10-man looked like this:

Paladin MT
    Warrior OT
    Healer: paladin, shaman, disc priest. Paladin on MT, shaman on MT+raid, priest on OT(+raid).
    DPS: DK, 2 rogues, warlock, ele shaman

The paladin MT helps the healers in phase 1 a lot by dispelling the magic dot himself, so they can focus on other things and using JoL to smoothen out the aoe from Steelbreaker. The disc priest tosses a PoM in the melee dps from time to time, otherwise he can focus on the OT, who can take considerable damage spikes. Alternatively priest and paladin could have swapped assignements.

In phase 1 we waited for a convenient Rune of Power, then blew heroism with the dps standing in it.
    Timings: Steelbreaker dead after 2min20s, Runemaster after 5min, Stormcaller after 9min.

For those interested, our paladin MT frapsed the kill:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvMJFdPeJxc]YouTube - Ulduar Der eiserne Rat 10er[/ame]

(sry for german interface, but I think that doesn't really matter. Also you should turn off the annotations)

If I remember, I'll get an addendum for phase 3 positioning. We had the raid divide up around Brundir into four corners. When he'd go up in the air, the target of his tendrils would run to the center. He moves fast so he does hit a few other players, but the whole raid can keep DPS and healing up through it.

ALSO, while tanking brundir when he uses the lighting tenticles a tank can taunt him and people can just move from the tank

Did this fight last night and when i taunted during the tentacles phase it said Immune, second warrior tank tried it right after my try and said the same thing for him. Tried it again in 10 man and said Immune. It still wasn't a big deal, we didn't lose anyone from it, just make sure your raiders run away from it if it starts coming in their direction

Quote Originally Posted by Valkor View Post
    Did this fight last night and when i taunted during the tentacles phase it said Immune, second warrior tank tried it right after my try and said the same thing for him. Tried it again in 10 man and said Immune. It still wasn't a big deal, we didn't lose anyone from it, just make sure your raiders run away from it if it starts coming in their direction
    yea thats wierd, it worked for me, i guess it coula been glitchy or buggy, who knows. But yea just keep people running

since we have no geared warrior tanks ulduar-ready yet (druid and paladin so lacking in interrupts for phase 2) is it viable to take two of them down to ~10% in turn in phase one then nuke both at the same time to skip phase 2 entirely?

Quote Originally Posted by shrukiv View Post
    since we have no geared warrior tanks ulduar-ready yet (druid and paladin so lacking in interrupts for phase 2) is it viable to take two of them down to ~10% in turn in phase one then nuke both at the same time to skip phase 2 entirely?
    no, when you kill one, the others go back to full health.

In our 10 man, we had the OT just focus on Runemaster while Stormcaller wasn't even so much as targeted until Steelbreaker was down. Stormcaller will stay stationary unless you interrupt the Chain Lighting, so he just hangs out in the back while everyone is towards the front, plenty of room between Stormcaller and his Overload. All he does is chain lightning, which is perfectly healable through even when he gets a rune. Having Runemaster tanked in the front gives the raid a 66% chance to get a beneficial rune, assuming Runemaster doesn't play favorites. Also, having Runemaster closer to the front allows a mage to spellsteal his Sheild of Runes, which is easily triggered by Stormcallers chain lightning.

quick question about that. our mages were saying they couldn't spellsteal and the shammy said not purgeable on the shield during phase 2.

anyone else have that issue?

The Shield of Runes can be stolen by mages in 25 and 10 man raids.
    The shield was likely being dispelled or broken by other raiders before the mages were able to get it. When dps is on the Runemaster the shield is destroyed in a flash, only way to steal it is to spam spellsteal while Runemaster is casting.

I have a question regarding Brundir. Is he tauntable during whole fight? On your movie I can see tank moving him out of RoP, which I was not able to do ( 10man version ), he was like stuck to the ground

He is tauntable in phases 1 and 2 but not in 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Meloniks View Post
    I have a question regarding Brundir. Is he tauntable during whole fight? On your movie I can see tank moving him out of RoP, which I was not able to do ( 10man version ), he was like stuck to the ground
    Like any caster, you're going to need to interrupt/silence him to get him to follow you out of the RoP. Shieldbash / Heroic Throw etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuberto View Post
    The Shield of Runes can be stolen by mages in 25 and 10 man raids.
    The shield was likely being dispelled or broken by other raiders before the mages were able to get it. When dps is on the Runemaster the shield is destroyed in a flash, only way to steal it is to spam spellsteal while Runemaster is casting.
    well, it definitely wasn't being broken. in fact, we ended up stopping dps every time it came up and waited until it expired to prevent the damage increase buff.

hmm, we'll try again next lockout period and see if it's any different. it's strange, but 3 different raid members all said the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyborn View Post
    Like any caster, you're going to need to interrupt/silence him to get him to follow you out of the RoP. Shieldbash / Heroic Throw etc etc.
    Cheers
    We got specially for this fight a DK to interrupt his casts, which was a waste of place at the end . I did great as a druid with my bash ( 2 points in talents ) and lots of feral charges. Also I had shammy healer and he also did a gr8 job. The thing is....after we downed them on tuesday, bastards from Bilzz nerf'ed them on wednesday. We had same with XT-002 week before......It is starting to be a bit anoying.

This gave us trouble tonight for a few attempts. Two things helped us succeed:

- In phase one (Steelbreaker), resist the temptation to have the whole raid bunch up on the blue runes, because you risk deaths from chain lightning. Ranged should probably stay spread out where they are. The enrage timer is not that hard.

- In phase 2 (Molgim), have several interrupters on Brondir reliably interrupting his Wirlwind Lightning, and ignoring other spells. I think Brondir got healed to full when P3 started, not positive of this, but even so interrupts made the fight easy.

After many wipes on IC, I specced for 2/2 Throwing Specialization and it made entire fight walk in park.. Why? I just autoattacked the dwarf and whenever he was casting I used Fan of Knives, after overload I can use Deadly Throw for interrupt (but usualy tank charges in and interrupts) - this gives me two interrupts without cd. Works both on Chain Lightning and Lightning Whirl.

I've no problem getting all lighting whirls in p2 using shield bash, but we also have an ele shaman interupting chain lightening (25man. In 10man we just ignore chain lightening). I also occasionally use stuns to interupt chain lightening but save all shield bash for whirls.

Druid Bash?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyborn View Post
    Does a druid bash work on him as well? He was pretty well cemented to the ground when I tried him last night.

Also, which directions did everyone pull the bosses?

Quote Originally Posted by hampi View Post
    Does a druid bash work on him as well? He was pretty well cemented to the ground when I tried him last night.

Also, which directions did everyone pull the bosses?

bash works but it stuns him so it is ineffective when trying to move them, same goes for feral charge and immobilizing them

+ Reply to Thread