+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ulduar Auriaya

I noticed one thing lacking in these boss strats is the group makeup or class specific details. It's always nice to learn that the hard way but it's maybe something tankspot could look into providing?

Quote Originally Posted by bludwork View Post
    I noticed one thing lacking in these boss strats is the group makeup or class specific details. It's always nice to learn that the hard way but it's maybe something tankspot could look into providing?
    group makeup will varry depending on the guild. class stacking has become less important in WOTLK then what it was in BC.

these vidio's touch on class spicific details if they are vital to the encounter. oftend they are not because of blizzards new "bring the raider, not the class" stand on bosses. no boss should need a spicific class to down them. though this isnt always the case, any boss that NEEDS any particular class (council?) is and should be skipable.

The Defender isn't tankable but it is Tauntable. My 10 man has 2 Warrior tanks so, I as the OT, vigilance the MT and spam taunt so the Defender is on me most of the time. I haven't tried Mocking Blow yet but I imagine that it would work as well.

My guild was making attempts on her last night, and we watched the video but nothing was mentioned on an interrupt/silence effect that was going onto our healers and casters

After speaking to one of our DPS he stated that the interrupt effect was similiar to the Ignis fight on the Flame Jets. Can anyone help verify this?

I watched and listened to this video a few times and Lore never mentioned anything about this type of effect. Any help on how to avoid or prevent this from happening will be of immense help.

My guild did this fight on ten man last week. Thanks to this video she was a easy 2 shot. We are going in on 25 man to try her and I was wondering if anyone noticed anything different with her or is it just her extra adds at the start?

Scyklin - be prepared. My guild 10man 1 shot Auriaya first pull, ever. Our 25 man group wiped for 2+ hours over 2 nights. The pull is exponentially different because of the additional 100% damage bonus panthers can receive due to a 4 stack of the buff, not to mention the 2 additional panthers for pounces etc. I was taking 20k DoT ticks fighting them.

Our tactic for 25man was to brute force down 4 panthers with me tanking them all with CD's / Guardian Spirits blown, worked but was ugly.

Hey, second post here for another way to look at this fight. Again I'd just like to say the videos and commentary from the tankspot team is fantastic, I just wanted to try and provide another means to look at the position for fights that depend on the raid being in the right spot. This is just something I put together for my own guild to look at, and thought I should share it with you all since you've all helped me lead a great deal. Again, if this is in the wrong spot / against the rules, please let me know and feel free to delete it or move it. Other than that, please feel free to post this on your guild's website to help explain positioning for this fight.

Should also note, this is not a complete strat by any means. This is simply the key portions that I wanted to get across to my guildmates about positioning and some key moves the boss does. This diagram should go hand in hand with the tank spot video. Oh and this is for 10-man only. I have not had the chance to experience the 25-man version of this, so please do not hold me responsible if this blows up in your face when you try this in 25-man.

Thanks,

Sinmore.

fear

I was waching this and was thinkin. what about preist fear ward. I don't know if it works but it mite help.

Fear Ward works great, but I suggest the priest cast it on themselves and cast Mass Dispel as the fear lands. Timing it correctly can get 11 people out of the fear instead of just 1.
    Kyultu|<Clockwork>|Drak'Tharon|PVP
    Guild Leader, Raid Leader and Main Tank

Hey guys,

So my guild spent about an hour or two wiping on Auriaya the other night. Contrary to what this comments on here are leading to me believe is the more difficult part of the encounter, we weren't having problems with the pull on 25 man after the first attempt.

Our biggest problem seemed to be the feral defender killing people, primarily during fears. Aside from that we had issues keeping the feral defender outside of the group for more than a second to kill it, even with myself and the other OT taunting it as well as a DK chaining it. It seems like once it starts pouncing even if its killed outside the group it has a chance to spawn the void zone in the group.

I'm not sure if this has been clarified, but the defender has no aggro table, its a miracle to keep it on either myself or the other tank for more than a couple seconds.

I was wondering if the sentries were able to continue to pounce after the initial pull. My main concern is that they will pounce around when the second tank trys to take 2 of them 10 yards away of the others to remove their buff.

Quote Originally Posted by Horyclone View Post
    Hey guys,

So my guild spent about an hour or two wiping on Auriaya the other night. Contrary to what this comments on here are leading to me believe is the more difficult part of the encounter, we weren't having problems with the pull on 25 man after the first attempt.

Our biggest problem seemed to be the feral defender killing people, primarily during fears. Aside from that we had issues keeping the feral defender outside of the group for more than a second to kill it, even with myself and the other OT taunting it as well as a DK chaining it. It seems like once it starts pouncing even if its killed outside the group it has a chance to spawn the void zone in the group.

I'm not sure if this has been clarified, but the defender has no aggro table, its a miracle to keep it on either myself or the other tank for more than a couple seconds.

This is my guild's issue as well. We can break the fears easy, rarely die to the swarming adds or the aoe cone she does, but 90% of deaths are from that defender.

Is it possible for a pally (I suggest pally only b/c of high armor) and a tank to drag it off away from the raid, as in on the other side of the platform, to prevent him from going ADD on the entire raid and maybe just bounce back and forth between the healer and tank? I'm thinking a warrior spamming taunt as he pulls it over to the designated area, b/c I'm assuming the pounce has a max range, and once the max range has been attained, then the cat has only the warrior and the healer to bounce around on.
    Just a thought, I'm going to try it later this week.
    If the tank dies, it's the healer's fault. If the healer dies, it's the tank's fault. If the dps dies, it's their own damn fault!

It's difficult to do, but you can death grip the defender out of the group just as it dies.

If it's already doing it's chain-leap, you probably won't do anything to move the void zone. The timing also has to be just right so you pull it, it lands, and it dies.

It's not consistent enough to rely on it, but it's a nice convenience if the whole raid doesn't have to move.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. -Seneca
    Everyone marvels at a square egg, but only the chicken understands the PAIN.

Our strat works on ten/twenty five

Several strategies have worked for us in ten man. This was the easiest way for our twenty five man raid.

The raid stacks around the corner closest to her next patrol stop. Our priests have an assigned fear ward rotation on our MT. We found that even with tremor totems we still had times when it would not pulse when we wanted to and the raid would take a sentinel blast.

Initial Pull: Our DK MT drops D&D and LoS the pull stacking on the raid. After the initial adds our OT's just spam taunts on the feral defender trying to make sure it does NOT die, in order to maximize dps and minimize repositioning.

The raid ignores interrupting the sentinel blast and killing the feral defender. Focusing on boss entirely allowing for a quick dps burn. Our MT focuses on interrupting Sentinel blast.

Grats on EZ mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Boondockst View Post

Is it possible for a pally (I suggest pally only b/c of high armor) and a tank to drag it off away from the raid, as in on the other side of the platform, to prevent him from going ADD on the entire raid and maybe just bounce back and forth between the healer and tank? I'm thinking a warrior spamming taunt as he pulls it over to the designated area, b/c I'm assuming the pounce has a max range, and once the max range has been attained, then the cat has only the warrior and the healer to bounce around on.
    Just a thought, I'm going to try it later this week.
    We tried this with a pali and 2 healers and couldn't get it to work. As soon as someone got feared the defender lept through the wall at them and then back into the raid.

What we ended up doing was have one of our off tanks move back from the raid when it was down to about 15%. When it hit about 3% he'd taunt then stun it when some of the dps killed it. We just stacked all the pools in one spot and burned her down fast.

Our group tried a slightly different method for the pull, necessitated by the fact that our DK couldn't come that night.

We have a warrior and a druid for our tanks. We have a hunter drop the snake trap where the D&D was dropped in the video. Everyone including the tanks hid out of LOS at the top of the steps. Once we got the enter combat message, our hunter FD which meant no one had aggro. (Don't FD before the pull. It despawns her.)

Once the cats stopped having fun with the snakes and came up, I blew Survival Instincts and Barkskin. Then I aoe taunted and immediately started swiping. That is why I didn't use Frenzied Regeneration since it blows through all of my rage. We also told all the dps to not do anything until I built a solid lead on the cats. We all stayed clumped up and seemed to have no pounces with her sentries.

And thus, our first downing of Auriaya.

Not sure whether other movies posted here is appreciated, but I hope it is:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxrz-IV9-yY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxrz-IV9-yY[/ame]

Here's a little explanation that goes with it:
    This is a complete movie on Shadow Storm's first Auriaya (25) kill. As such, it still has a few hiccups, but all in all, a pretty smooth kill.
    It was shot from a bear's OT view (mine that is). Since the movie has only music and no voice-over, I'll explain some general things now.
    One of the major things we have done differently than I have seen most suggested is that we use 2 OT's on the other side of the raid, also out of LoS, to taunt 2 of the Sentries straight at the pull, to minimize damage done to tanks, and to make sure the raid is out of the Sentry's pounce range. Of course, this has the added danger that one or both OT's will get pounced by 1 or more cats. This in fact happened to me, with all 4, so healers will have to be extremely fast and focused (which they were, kudos to them) to keep the tanks alive through the initial pounce(s).

Anyways, we used a warlock's imp as the sacrificial pulling tool to initiate the encounter. After that, we focused dps on one at a time, and then had OT's (including me) start focusing on the Feral Defender. At about 50%, we had both OT's move out of the raid and try to taunt / leap-pounce thing (for lack of remembering the actual ability) the defender out of the raid. Then, at around 10%, we spammed (or at least I did) a stun, to make sure it stayed there, so range could kill it off.
    We continued this process 3 times, stacking the Feral's void zones on top of each other and healing through any raid damage done by being feared into the zones. After the third kill, we switched positions (without using LoS, and just healing through the rebirth pounce), since with 3 void zones stacked on each other, they were becoming very deadly.
    Some AoE damage killed the defender a 4th time, with one of our OT's trying the same trick again, and with a stroke of luck, having the defender die right on top of him in the middle of a leaping frenzy. I died a bit prior to that due to a mistaunt, which was next to my Mangle, an issue I corrected straight away.

Anyways, I hope this is appreciated and I also hope it's valuable for both Tankspot and other people trying alternative ways of killing her.

Best regards, Morningsong.

P.S. sorry for the shoddy camera work at times, but I think you'll forgive me for things being a bit hectic at times *grin*

what we do is.. im tanking(protwar) the boss. have our dk put down d&d and have a priest put divine guardian on him when they are almost there.. we completely ignore the feral defender untill it has about 30k hp left.. then our DK deathgrips it away. have a paladin stun it and all dps nuke it down in seconds.. leaving the voidzone quite some distance from the boss. im never feared cause of zerkerrage and fear wards and can interup everytime.. usaly the feral defender dies once and then she bites the dust

Yes, that is something to be considered, except that there are times when the defender is immune to taunt, and therefore also deathgrip.

We use 2 rogues going to Freya's Conservatory and waiting Auriaya to pass
    1) They follow and when they pass 2 guards next to mimiron's zone, they distract right 2 sentries, 2nd rogue use his distract @ arround 7 sec duration of first one

2) By that time on footsteps of stairs in last zone (where her patrol ends) our shaman have planted totem but he is standing far away from us all out of LOS. If rogue's distract is resisted shaman just pull his totem away (this is problem with DND/Consecration/hunter trap - you cannot pull it off)

3) 2 sentries and Auriaya comming, I tank 1st sentry while hunter MD boss to me. Feral defender tank is taunting 2nd sentry.

4) 3rd tank and feral druid in bear form are going out and picking incoming 2 (previously distracted) sentries, they bring those 2 into aoe zone (we don't care much about buffs they get, since nerf we are not splitting them anymore, just burn all CDs early on, no need for them later anyway)

5) By the time first 2 sentries are down I taunt 1 sentry off feral druid so he can dps and we just continue... no big deal with defender... we just let him die from aoe inside group from killing swarm. When he is about to die we all move slowly so that void zone dont mess us up.

6) warrior tanking defender is great for breaking fear and stunning defender also
    Mookey | GM of <RISE> Xavius [EU]

+ Reply to Thread