+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 550 New Ulduar Def Cap?

550 New Ulduar Def Cap?

I had heard rumors, is 550 a cap now to be uncrittable in either 10 or 25 man or is 540 fine for both/one?

540 still does the "uncrittable" job...but, the more the better...

still there are several new tank items in Ulduar with massive amounts +def...

I haven't heard anything of needing more defense. Especially since the calculation for being 540 defense to become "uncrittable" is based off of Boss level mobs...

I haven't heard anything on this. 550 being the "new" defense level to reach for uncrittable would mean that ulduar mobs have higher than average chance to crit which would be unprecedented.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalken View Post
    "I'll let the dragon hit me in the face, you stab it in the ass."

"rouges have cheapest computers"

Well I guess 640/740 would be the uncrittable minimum at thorim if I understand it correctly (unbalancing strike lowers defense by 100/200 on 10 or 25 man respectivly). Otherwise 540 will do the job.

nothing about ulduar says you need more defense. Bosses don't have an increased chance to crit just because the instance changed. Your information, as strange as it sounds, is incorrect.

@sorednbored roflmao.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

lol <3 sored

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrea View Post
    Well I guess 640/740 would be the uncrittable minimum at thorim if I understand it correctly (unbalancing strike lowers defense by 100/200 on 10 or 25 man respectivly). Otherwise 540 will do the job.
    He lowers your DEFENSE skill by 100. reaching 640 defense SKILL is impossible, essentially, trying to get around the tank swap on Thorim, by stacking more defense to counter this fact, is nearly doomed to failure because the % chance to be crit will be significant enough that he'll drop you dead (see cider's epic XT video). The more intriguing question about Thorim is whether he removes your base defense (400) or your post item defense, the prior will allow crushing blows to land no?

Tanks are stacking massive Defense, because we're starting to hit the DR's on Dodge/Parry from gear with those stats on it. With items like Repelling Charge+the blue one, stacking def is great. Not to mention for those frost resist hodir fights.
    November 23, 2004 8:27:03 AM - Glomgore 10+ Years of tanking? Priceless

eh...

"starting to hit the DR's" is misleading. You have DRs right out the door, they hit harder the higher you stack something sure. Defense doesn't really help with this except that it spreads it out more evenly, and gives you Block Rating. That's the biggest benefit to stacking Def instead of pure dodge. Which I personally would advocate anyways, block is a good tool for warriors, neglecting it is suboptimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Stans View Post
    I had heard rumors, is 550 a cap now to be uncrittable in either 10 or 25 man or is 540 fine for both/one?
    The amount of defense you need to remove crits from raid bosses has nothing to do with the content and everything to do with your base chance to be crit and your level (and the level of the boss, but for raids that is a static +3 levels)

The amount of defense you need will not change until the next time they raise the level cap.

Tanks are stacking massive Defense, because we're starting to hit the DR's on Dodge/Parry from gear with those stats on it. With items like Repelling Charge+the blue one, stacking def is great. Not to mention for those frost resist hodir fights.
    I'd disagree. I actually don't know any tanks doing this. Most tanks including myself are on the road to greater Effective Health (Stam/Armor) and with a newer stam item, I'm only 2 above the "cap" (compared to being at 556 prior to the new item) and the only difference is that I've given the healers more time to react to larger hits. Stacking defense puts too much emphasis on 'hoping' you don't get hit IMO (unless you're unhittable).
    "The quickest way of ending a war is to lose it."
    -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by blackpandemic View Post
    I'd disagree. I actually don't know any tanks doing this. Most tanks including myself are on the road to greater Effective Health (Stam/Armor) and with a newer stam item, I'm only 2 above the "cap" (compared to being at 556 prior to the new item) and the only difference is that I've given the healers more time to react to larger hits. Stacking defense puts too much emphasis on 'hoping' you don't get hit IMO (unless you're unhittable).
    if you are unhittable then stacking defense/avoidance reduces the chance that you will take damage from blocking.

If you are already past the mark where diminishing returns are giving you worse dodge/parry through basic ratings than defense is, then you must have some crazy gear and be gemming for avoidance.

I believed the point where this happened(that meaning where defense became point for point better than actual rating), was 25% on dodge and/or parry for each individually. I don't think even with my full avoidance set I can hit both at the same time, possibly something like 26% dodge and 22% parry.

I don't see stacking defense in any way beneficial unless you are just looking for well-rounded avoidance(which I am in no way saying is wrong or a bad thing). Though we should not be hitting the point where diminishing returns are really affecting us in such a severe way where defense has become a stat to stack, except in a fully niche set of avoidance gear. Which I guess at that point I would rename a Defense set.

Effective health, stam/armor, without ignoring your avoidance/mitigation, is the way to go at the moment. Bosses hit hard in Ulduar, and unfortunately, stacking avoidance for 5% more avoidance versus 3k more HP, will get you killed a lot more often.

I hope we can stop using the term defense cap, it is quite a faux pas these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    He lowers your DEFENSE skill by 100. reaching 640 defense SKILL is impossible, essentially, trying to get around the tank swap on Thorim, by stacking more defense to counter this fact, is nearly doomed to failure because the % chance to be crit will be significant enough that he'll drop you dead (see cider's epic XT video). The more intriguing question about Thorim is whether he removes your base defense (400) or your post item defense, the prior will allow crushing blows to land no?
    He must reduce your base defense, as he does indeed land crushing blows.

Avoidance / EH are important on this fight, but quick reaction timing is key as a quick unbalancing strike + crit can gib your tank. Make sure you are hovering your finger over the taunt key.

Out of curiosity, does Shield Block help against Unbalancing Strike?

Quote Originally Posted by Roana View Post
    Out of curiosity, does Shield Block help against Unbalancing Strike?
    You could technically push crits/crushing blows off the table with enough block/dodge/parry/miss. (Though I don't know if that's possible even for a paladin in current gear)

Quote Originally Posted by Ieatpugs View Post
    You could technically push crits/crushing blows off the table with enough block/dodge/parry/miss. (Though I don't know if that's possible even for a paladin in current gear)
    Well, Shield Block does grant +100% block. That's why I was asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Roana View Post
    Well, Shield Block does grant +100% block. That's why I was asking.
    Ah, yes. I'd definitely save that cooldown for when you are in a tight spot and have to tank through an Unbalancing strike.

/jealous

+ Reply to Thread