+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ulduar Kologarn

First time poster.

Last night was my guilds first 25 man downing of Kol. We were able to get the right arm down 3 times, leaving him with about 2.2mil hp left. And after a few wipes around there i noticed that the left arm was always ending up at about 25% hp, due to a few blood DK's and me as an arms warrior using sweeping strike and blade storm a bit. So we decided that it was best to have the add tank hold the adds on the third right arm down, and go directly to the left arm. We had our locks put a few dots on the left arm periodically thought he fight as well. The strat worked out great, and the left arm was near 20% after the right arm downed, allowing us to quickly burst the left arm and down kologarn.

Just something which I threw together for my guild.

Yellow=Melee.
    Blue=Casters.
    Red=Eye-beam safe run area.

I specifically made the sides red too as we had a fair number of melee get targeted by his eye-beam. [I believe our kill had only melee being targeted].

things noticed about kologarn 10 man

for all wondering about the "squeeze lifeless" ability weve noticed that unless 100k dmg is done to the left arm from the second somone gets into its grip they will die when he throws them back out of his grip i havent seen him 25man so i dont know what the stats for that is sorry.
    also what ive noticed and what our melee has taken a great liking to is that you can stand right on the tank and still hit both arms JUST BY TARGETING THEM you dont have to turn or anything and the armor debuff is only hitting the tank for us so the melee shouldnt be worried about anything like that
    one more thing id like to point out is that if your melee heavy in this fight its ok because the melee will stack right infront of the body and be able to hit both arms and as long as somone was OUT of melee range
    for us the eye beams target the ranged people(healers,ranged DPS) and not the melee so strafing left and right you will easily be able to dodge the beams and if you can keep dpsing during that we also used heroism after the arm respawned for the first time because that seemed to be our hardest thing to cope with DPS wise

Alright, I'm going to feel real stupid asking this. Maybe I'm missing something completely obvious, but we have issues with this fight. The melee stand at his waste and have trouble hitting his right arm, myself included. For some reason it seems like every time we do this guy something goes wrong with a healer or tank dying. We've downed him a few times, but I'm beginning to wonder if its just luck.

Any suggestions anyone might have on this guy?

Melee Stand Directly infront of him and face his torso at all times (yes even when DPSing the right arm)

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyseh View Post
    Melee Stand Directly infront of him and face his torso at all times (yes even when DPSing the right arm)
    This is the technique I even attempted when I'm meleeing the right arm waiting for spawns to arrive. I can hit my special attacks, but my melee never hit.

is anyone getting a tool tip error for the armor debuff saying you armor is reduced by 0%? because my guild attempted kolo and we were getting our buts kicked because my tank didn't know when to swap out because the debuff wasnt "stacking" was anyone else experincing this issue? Also does kolo usally hit for alot of damage all the time because I seemed to notice that my tanks health was droping very quickly and another one of my healer friends that have done this before said they have never seen a tank drop that quick. here is his armory link The World of Warcraft Armory he is in his dual spec right now :P but he was his main spec last night
    Last edited by donakabamy; 06-02-2009 at 05:02 PM.

Did this last night in 10 man. First off i noticed it seems kologarn can be very buggy. We wiped the first time and he disappeared only to reappear immediatly. our second attempt...he blew wind on our healer in the middle of the fight who was standing in the middle of the room and one hit killed him even tho i was and had always been right in front of kologarn. when we wiped kologarn disapeared and didnt reappear til we restarted encounter. Dont know if others have experienced this or not. But we did end up killing kologarn on our next attempt

Also..as for the reducing armor debuff.... i NEVER got more than one stack on me. Seems a good avoidance tank will do the trick and never allow more than one to get on you making the encounter alot less stressful for tanks.

Is it better to have both tanks on the main boss at the start of the fight or to have the main tank run up and start it while the off tank just waits for the adds and to taunt the boss when required? My guild was running 10 man and we had problems with the tanks getting killed almost immediatly, is that a question of gear or is there something we're missing. We were using the strategy in the video.

Also with regards to Donakabamy's post I noticed that I never reached more than 1 debuff while either being main tank or offtank. If you wear a shield you can block it, or you can dodge or parry, so high avoidance tanks don't get stacks, at least I never reached more than one debuff that lasted for 5 seconds

Just for clarification. On 10 man the Armor Debuff from his overhead slam is only 20 seconds correct?

Also the tanks that I run with, 2 Prot Warrs, Said they cannot see the debuff on them. They are using the regular UI with no mods to it at all(I told them they should look into changing around their UI's but they just ignored me.) Do you have to have a mod to the UI to see the Debuff? Or are they always parrieng and or dodging the Overhead Slam?

My guild has Run kolo before and basicly one shot him several times. But this week we have been on him for 3 hours. I was about to flip out on everyone. We just keep getting screwed over by him. This should be an easy fight I really dont understand what is going on.

No, of course you dont need any special mods to see the debuff. Last time I did it on 10man the debuff lasted about 5 seconds and we didnt need to switch tanks at all.

For those getting wiped by seemingly random breaths from kologarn it's probably because your MT switch targets to the right arm. The MT should always be tragetting the main body.

Horizontal Rule

I just wanted to add on here, as I see a few laser strats already we created a super simplified method of doing these, and it really takes the thinking out of it.

On one of our first attempts, we noticed positioning on this while not super tricky, can get a little busy when trying to move lasers around, this is especially true if your getting a lot of melee strikes, as we seem to do.

So we created a special grid

Melee-------------

Laser run --------

Healer/ranged ---

Essentially what your doing, is spreading your melee out at the front. And your ranged and healers can be spread out at the back. There is plenty of room because the platform is more horizontal than vertical in length.

Anytime anyone gets the laser buff, if they are melee, they simply step back and strafe.

If they are ranged, or healer, they step in and strafe.

We keep everyone extra secure by making sure people are not stacked on each other, just in case someone is a little slow to react.

What this does is assures there is always a safe line to run, your not walking around anyone, and instead of having to look for other players and plot your U-turn, you can simply move and go.

I hope this is helpful for someone, it sure was for us, this fight is fun and pretty easy, and this strat trivialized.

We did 10-man Kologarn last night and I was caught in hand squeeze a couple times. We used vent to announce who was being squeezed and 1 of our 2 healers healed through the squeeze and I didn't die.
    We had two tanks, one on the body and one to pick up the rubble addons. Everyone DPsed the arm until it was broken then immediately went to the torso. When the arm (right) respawned we went back to the arm.
    When the arm broke the 2d tank moved the rubble to just left of the torso (About the armpit).
    We were able to kill the boss after three arm respawns.

the armor debuff

in our 10man runs, the stacking debuff glitches and won't go past 1 stack, so we don't even switch tanks at all and just keep one on the arm at all times

They patched Kolo about a month and a half ago so that the armor debuff couldn't stack in 10 man.

Tank swapping in 10 man while also grabbing rubble was really brutal that first week or two of Ulduar. I guess Blizz decided that 10 man already had 2 tanking jobs so they took out the tank swap.

Kologarn 25

Ok I need some help PLZ!! ive read all the posts and watched the kologarn 10 video and my guild and i have downed kologarn on 10s but we're needing help in the 25 version. I dont know if we're missing a part of the strat or we're doing it wrong or what, so im asking for some much needed help. This is what we've got: (3 tanks: 2 unholy dk tanks and 1 prot paly tank) 2 for kologarn and 1 for the adds that spawn when his arm is destroyed. 6 healers and the rest are DPS... the 2 tanks are trading at every 2 stacks of the armor debuff. All melee are stacking on the tanks at his waist, while ranged are at the big long horizontal block at the door way with healers surrounding them, ( i think thats a good way to put it) when eyebeams happen, whoever is targeted run fwd just a bit and to the right to avoid the grp, when he runs his back is right up against the wall. When the adds are spawned the 3rd tank aoe taunts and picks them up and pulls them to the far left, rather then kite he had a dedicated healer to maintain him thru the stone aura to make AOE's more effective. usually we're only lasting thru 1 arm break before a tank eats it or somethin catastrophic happens. We know that when he grabs ppl he'll grab 3 at a time and that his arm needs to be DPS's to the break limit to set them free, but what are we missing?? Are we just doing it wrong? is it bad positioning?? do we need another tank? whats the piece of the puzzle that we're missing??? Please help!!

A couple of questions for you Cyrak.
    First - which tank is dying? (Adds or one of the body tanks?)
    Secondly - when you check the combat logs what does s/he seem to be dying of.

Those two things will probably point you straight to the solution, and if not that info will get you a more specific answer.

kologarn 25

Zurena,

Sorry about that, the 1st time we wiped Myself (unholy dk tank) died first, it was to an overhead smash, i only had 1 armor debuff. the 2nd time the prot pally tank died he hadnt even taken a debuff yet when he died, and 3 and 4th times it was the adds tank (another unholy dk tank) that died. after usually we died because a healer or 2 was gripped and not enough heals were being dished out.a couple of ranged here and there were dying to eyebeams but it was 1s and 2s here and there over the course of the night. between the tanks it seemed like we were getting hit for 50 to 60k from the overhead smash attacks

+ Reply to Thread