Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flame Leviathan set-up?

Flame Leviathan set-up?

I have been reading over and looking at videos of the flame leviathan and I am a bit curious what the set up is vehicle wise in ten-man?

I know this much:

You need two siege engines.
    You need a gunner for the siege engine knock the pyrite out of the sky.

You need (two?) demolishers
    You need a healer and DPS to get launched onto the leviathan to stun it.
    You need a person to hook the pyrite on the ground so the engine driver can fire pyrite bombs during the stun.

You need choppers.
    I am not sure how many are needed, I would say two since a healer and a DPS are getting launched and if I remember correctly, a chopper can only pick up one passenger.

So here is my thought for set-up

Siege engine + gunner= 2 people
    Demolisher + passenger= 2 people
    Demolisher+passenger=2 people
    Chopper rider= 1 person
    Chopper rider= 1 person

My question is mainly the demolishers, I know I need a DPS and healer to be launched onto the leviathan to down the turrent and cause the stun. Now would it be practical to split the healer and DPS between the demolishers, have them load up on the pyrite, and when a signal is given over vent, have each demolisher driver launch their passenger onto the leviathan?

So what do you guys think of this set-up? What have you found works on the PTR?

Quote Originally Posted by Oniyoh View Post
    I have been reading over and looking at videos of the flame leviathan and I am a bit curious what the set up is vehicle wise in ten-man?

I know this much:

You need two siege engines.
    You need a gunner for the siege engine knock the pyrite out of the sky.

You need (two?) demolishers
    You need a healer and DPS to get launched onto the leviathan to stun it.
    You need a person to hook the pyrite on the ground so the engine driver can fire pyrite bombs during the stun.

You need choppers.
    I am not sure how many are needed, I would say two since a healer and a DPS are getting launched and if I remember correctly, a chopper can only pick up one passenger.

So here is my thought for set-up

Demolisher + passenger= 2 people
    Demolisher+passenger=2 people
    Chopper rider= 1 person
    Chopper rider= 1 person

My question is mainly the demolishers, I know I need a DPS and healer to be launched onto the leviathan to down the turrent and cause the stun. Now would it be practical to split the healer and DPS between the demolishers, have them load up on the pyrite, and when a signal is given over vent, have each demolisher driver launch their passenger onto the leviathan?

So what do you guys think of this set-up? What have you found works on the PTR?
    My group was able to 1-shot leviathan last night with exactly this setup.

Same, we got the achievement for not launching people last night on 10 man on the 2nd try with this same setup
    You do realize why the Borg are so bad at making dimmer switches don't you?
    Resistance is futile.

In 25 man we launched 2 mages and 2 healers up there.

In 10 man we only launched a mage and it was easy.

How did you guys coordinate the pick up of the people you launched onto the leviathan?

What's the group makeup for 25-man?
    Stay strong. Stay smart. All heart.

Does this fight remind anyone else of Twisted Metal?

Flame Leviathan kind of makes me think of Minion.

Yess.

To actually add to the conversation:
    Quote Originally Posted by Carvious
    How did you guys coordinate the pick up of the people you launched onto the leviathan?
    Once the two turrets are destoyed, and the players are parachuting down have the choppers ride in and pick them up as they are landing. The choppers have that boosty trick making damage minimal upon exit. Also, there is a heal function in the passenger side. Just make sure they don't go in front of the Flame Leviathan, or they're toast!
    Daemonika|Death Knight|Fenris|Valkyr

For our 10man group we only took out 1 turret, a fury war was launched up to take them out but couldn't get to the 2nd turret. Upon dismounting the boss, he didn't last too long on the ground, maybe 3-5 secs. The boss was killed shortly after. If you are going to launch someone up there, you may want to try a ranged dps class, I don't think a healer is necessary as I didn't seem to take any damage at all while up there(me, being the fury war).

After the reset, we're going to try it without launching anyone up there for the added dps using the gunner abilities on a demolisher.

I have some thoughts I'd like to get some input on. As recent initiates to Ulduar my guild is still mainly learning the ropes with a bunch of these fights. We run on the 10-man, easy mode. One of our current strategies has puzzled me and I feel like it does seem to be working.

Our FL setup:
    Steam Engine (2 pilots (my role), no gunners)
    Choppers (2 drivers)
    Demolishers (2 drivers, 4 DPSers (one starts the fight pre-loaded to be launched))

Now my issue is that me and the other steam engine driver have no turret gunner. Our demolishers are launching DPSers up to FL more often. So in theory we get the overload more often, but we lose the decent dps a steam engine turret can provide.

In practice, we seem to do decently. But by the end of the fight 2/3rds of the raid is dead, just from taking way too long. The amount of coordination needed to keep 4 DPSers rotating onto FL seems problematic. Also, when FL targets one of the Demolishers (since it seems to be intended) we technically lose 2 to 3 people from our dps as they run.

So I guess what it comes down to is just how many DPSers are acceptable to do the overload? Is the overload that necessary in the first place to sacrifice the two turret slots in order to have it more often? Or am I just overanalyzing this and should just shut my trap?

Throw people at him.

no srsly, it's a good idea.

(that was an explanation we used for someone who hadn't been in ulduar yet lol)

we use every seat, 2 siege (both with gunners, just incase we have to use a shield), 2 demolishers (both with gunners) and 2 choppers to get the passengers back to the demos.
    |Kaad|Warrior|Protection|The Milk Drinkers|Runetotem|US|

This thread is dated and would lead people to believe you have a choice in vehicle loadout. You don't. There are five of each on hero and two of each on normal, thus every seat is taken unless you go light.

Also, those Siege gunners do a ton more dps on the boss than any of the strats have implied. Seriously, use the cannon.

FL set-up and positional jobs/responsibilities.

Resurrection this thread from the bowels of Tankspot!

Mostly in response to watching the hard mode video here I was hoping to get some more info from the community. We do 1 tower fine and (at least on 10-man 2 towers), but it didn't feel like we were ready to step up the difficulty. As we work toward eventual hard mode attempts on this boss in 10 and 25 man I'd like to get a clearer idea on the "jobs" of different people in the encounter. I know, for me, getting a clearer definition of the things people will be would really help us out. Since I found it hard to tell exactly everyone's job from the video, and as Ciderhelm stated he assumed you knew this stuff going in. Well, I have some assumptions but I'd like to see what everyone else has experienced and make sure we're not doing things wrong.

In specific I'd like to go over each vehicle position in 10 and 25 man to discuss who does what in this encounter.

Vehicle slots:
    - Siege Engine Driver - Obviously interrupting Flame Vents is highest priority, but other than that and DPSing the boss is there anything else they should be focusing on?

- Siege Engine Gunner - What's the focus? Shooting FL rockets? How much and when should they DPS the boss? Should they ever shoot down pyrite?

- Demolisher Driver - Keeping up Pyrite Stacks is high priority, but particularly in 10-man how: is this managed when the gunner is shot up on FL for a lot of the fight? Only send 1 up? Some sort of rotation? Have the driver switch seats and shoot down and grab his own Pyrite? In general, what approach is best to maximize stack "uptime"?

- Demolisher Gunner - How much should they be focused on shooting down pyrite? Are both gunners responsible for Pyrite or is one on boss and the other shooting down pyrite for multiple Demolishers? Do they ever DPS the boss or just shoot down Pyrite when not on FL? Do you rotate people into this position (especially on 10-man) when people go up to the turrets? Also, going up there as fast and often as possible is best, right?

- Chopper - Seems easy, but other than Oiling FL and picking up the turret DPS and taking them to Demolishers is there anything else they should be doing? Is it ever worth it to DPS the boss with the horn?

Any guidance/insight would be appreciate. If I missed another thread on this, my apologies.

imho its siege gunners that should be responsible for shutting pyrite down, mainly because they can shoot barrels that are exacly above them, demolishers gunners can't aim higher than about 60 degrees above them, making pyrite shooting a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Mierzei View Post
    imho its siege gunners that should be responsible for shutting pyrite down, mainly because they can shoot barrels that are exacly above them, demolishers gunners can't aim higher than about 60 degrees above them, making pyrite shooting a nightmare.
    Thank you! this is exactly what I'm looking for. These are the sorts of limitations I was unaware of (and you won't find on a resource like wowwiki or wowhead) that can make a real difference in choosing the right position for a specific job and not banging your head against a wall.

Another general question: The Pyrite that enters the area where you're fighting FL seems to enter throughout the course of the whole fight, but there are gaps (or time periods) when it's not spawning, anyone have a feel for how large those gaps are and when they happen? Is it random? Is it timed? Is it based off things happening (like, no pyrite spawns when FL is in Shutdown)?

In 10 mans we use one demolisher for primary dps by stacking pyrite damage.
    We mark this demolisher and the siege gunners mainly try to keep pyrite dropping by this demolisher all of the time. The other demolisher shoots a ranged dps up who kills the turrets. One of the bikes brings the ranged back to his demolisher where he refills the pyrite then reloads to be shot up again.
    The other bike is getting oil down and is a backup for getting the ranged dps if the other bike would die. When you get to 3 towers up you may also want to dump one of the bikes and have one demolisher rotating 2 people up, so that the one on standby can be loading pyrite for the second demolisher to be stacking damage also.

About pyrite limitations, they always spawn, so all you have to do is pick them up ;]

Quote Originally Posted by Toxicty View Post
    The other bike is getting oil down and is a backup for getting the ranged dps if the other bike would die. When you get to 3 towers up you may also want to dump one of the bikes and have one demolisher rotating 2 people up, so that the one on standby can be loading pyrite for the second demolisher to be stacking damage also.
    Those rotating people needs to be casters I suposse (a hunter can't kill fast one of the towers). We only have 2 casters in the guild (14 in total) :S

Any advice? Will be viable to send a hunter and let him kill the tower slower?
    Follow the Moeko Principle.

We're trying it last night and things were going well. the biggest issue seemed to be the flying teams being sent up. We had an ele shaman in each team for off heals, however they kept saying that they were taking a lot of damage and ended up doing nothing but healing while up there. Therefore they asked for a dedicated healer to go up instead.

To me a dedicated healer feels like a waste, is there some aspect of the fight we were missing that was causing them to take so much damage that we can adjust to make the team work better?

Quote Originally Posted by fr0d0b0ls0n View Post
    Those rotating people needs to be casters I suposse (a hunter can't kill fast one of the towers). We only have 2 casters in the guild (14 in total) :S

Any advice? Will be viable to send a hunter and let him kill the tower slower?
    Hunters i think have a problem with hitting the one they are standing by so if you are rotating 2 people -one at a time- casters work best. We use first choice of mage then either shadowpriest/lock/boomkin, whichever of the 3 we have.

Starting 4 towers now and I am thinking of trying a 4 melee rotation and use zero bikes which would let us put him in shutdown after only about 15-20 seconds of uptime. To do this you would need the demolisher drivers to get close to him after shutdown, have their gunners load into the catapult with about 3 seconds left on stun and have the 2 that just parachuted jump in the gunner seat.

My main is a mage so currently I am in the rotation getting thrown up and here is a handy little macro for demolisher gunners.

/tar Liquid Pyrite
    /cast grab crate

This way there is no manual targeting of pyrite, you can hit macro between shots and it will pull it in while you are still shooting, and if you have a rangefinder addon you can see anytime one is in range able to be grabbed.

wouldn't that macro not work since you're bars get switched out when in a vehicle?