+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about the new 3.1 warrior glyphs for prot

Question about the new 3.1 warrior glyphs for prot

Hi all.

Since the US servers will be able to get their hands on 3.1 today, the EU realms will have it tomorrow. As many people did, I looked at the changes of their class, in my case the warrior class. As I see there are some new protection glyphs added in 3.1. I have absolutely no idea wich glyphs I should use, thats what I need some help about.

Thank you in advance!
    Greets,
    Endorsia

What about the fact that you can now reduce the cooldowns of Last Stand and Shield Wall to 2 min. each? I'm thinking of going with...

Glyph of Last Stand (reduces cooldown by 3 min.)
    Glyph of Shield Wall (reduces cooldown by 2 min.)
    Glyph of Vigilance (+5% threat from person buffed)

Also dropping Improved Revenge to pick up Improved Shield Wall. Looking at WWS, Revenge only makes up about 9% of my total threat, so I doubt I'll notice the difference. That puts both Last Stand and Shield Wall at 2 min., which brings us closer to Death Knights if there are any more fights like Sarth 3 drakes where you need to chain cooldowns. Also, in other boss fights, you will be able to use them 2-3 times each if needed, instead of just once.

I also think Glyph of Vigilance will give you more threat by far than Glyph of Blocking, no? I haven't done the math on it, but it seems like it wouldn't even be close. Basically +5% threat vs. +10% Block Value every other shield slam or so?

Thoughts?

personaly, id ditch glyph of vig for the old reliable glyph of blocking. Also, how much do you use shield wall? if you're having to reduce damage taken by that large of an amount, i think that there is something wrong
    "Ive always wondered what we warriors say to make people attack harder, be healthier, or taunt mobs" -Orla

Quote Originally Posted by orlastud View Post
    if you're having to reduce damage taken by that large of an amount, i think that there is something wrong
    Though, one could argue that in progression raid encounters, there's always going to be something wrong. Can't hurt to be prepared!
    Stay strong. Stay smart. All heart.

Glyph of Shield Wall: Reduces the cooldown on Shield Wall by 3 min, but Shield Wall now only reduces damage taken by 40%.

Coupled with 2/2 Imp Disc this makes Shield Wall a two minute cooldown.

Being able to use Shield Wall every two minutes is awesome. Coupled with Glyph of Last Stand, you have cooldowns up every two minutes.

Boss encounters such as Mimiron will require a large amount of cooldown usage in conjunction with the members of your raid. Having a shorter cooldown on these abilities will be nothing but a plus for progression.

Edit: I will be using Glyph of Shield Wall, Glyph of Last Stand, and Glyph of Blocking for one spec. The other spec I am not sure yet. I might give UA a shot, but for the first week I am going to go with Deep Wounds as a safe bet.

Last edited by Olly; 04-14-2009 at 11:30 AM.

Glyph of Devestate doesn't seem to be worth it as it only saves you 2 GCD in an entire single target boss fight.

That being said for progression I'm going to be using last stand, shield wall, and blocking.

Also, how much do you use shield wall? if you're having to reduce damage taken by that large of an amount, i think that there is something wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Halgreg View Post
    Though, one could argue that in progression raid encounters, there's always going to be something wrong. Can't hurt to be prepared!
    Yes, that would be my argument. For progression content, anything that can help you survive and give your healers more room for error is a plus. If it's not progression content, who cares what glyph you're using?

Another counter argument to the "if you need shield wall that often something is wrong" statement is what are the alternatives? More threat? More damage? I would say that if you are having threat issues, something is wrong.

Think there are a bunch of ways of looking at this. Do you want more threat or more dmg mitigation? If dmg mitigation is more important, are there other ways to reduce the incoming dmg (i.e. proactive vs reactive)?

For example, I had a Glyph of Last Stand before but now I went with a 5/5 Improved Demoralizing Shout spec which reduces incoming dmg. Yet I'm doing so at the cost of rage reduction talents thus it's important for me to have Glyph of Revenge and Heroic Strike to make up for that lost rage reduction.

On the flipside, if you're going to reduce your dmg mitigation for something (i.e. more threat), then I'd probably say ya go with the Glyphs of Last Stand and Shield Wall because you'll need to probably utilize them more often, since you'll have more incoming dmg on you.

Malavar would you mind posting that 5/5 demo spec? I've been playing with a few ideas but nothing solid yet.

Last edited by Malavar; 04-16-2009 at 12:07 PM.

Thanks. That's almost exactly what I'm looking at, only major difference being that I drop 2 points in cruelty to get improved disciplines.

I'll more than likely be using the following for progression fights instead of the deep wounds spec using the shield wall and last stand glyphs and going deeper into fury for commanding presence.

Wowhead 5/15/51 Prot

Or, Erandus, you could just drop the two points from Improved Spell Reflection and put those into Improved Disciplines instead (like this). Saves you from having to sacrifice your Cruelty points. However if you decide to take the Glyphs of Blocking, Last Stand, and Shield Wall for maximum mitigation, you'll probably have to watch your rage utilization extremely carefully.

FYI: Talent specs shown on WoW Armory (and even in the game) seem to be severely screwed at the moment. Not sure what's up. I've therefore updated my 5/13/53 spec link above to point to Wowhead's talent calculator instead.
    Last edited by Malavar; 04-16-2009 at 12:26 PM.

I've been playing with a 15/0/56 build. It has a lot of survival talents and of course Deep Wounds, but I'm not sure how losing ATtT is going to affect me.

-So far I've been using it a week, havn't had much trouble with dying or threat
    -5/5 imp demo gives like 164 additional AP reduction. Is that even particularly viable? 5 points seems like a big investment for that.

I went 8/5/58 with Glyphs of Blocking, Shield Wall, and Last Stand.

IMO maximum survivability for progression encounters.

Considering most the real crazy DPS without threat drops got nerfed, and we Warrior tanks picked up 5% free damage increase which equates to more threat anyway, losing Deep Wounds hasn't hurt my threat generation too much, and I have had no problem keeping aggro on the bosses I have tanked.

+ Reply to Thread