+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot pally - Block<Dodge<Block???

Prot pally - Block<Dodge<Block???

Ill try to make this as simple as possible, rite now it seems as if im in a situation where i cannot wear new ulduar gear without some 8.5 teir. my options rite now are either, ~18% block ~1300 value, along with ~24% dodge and be just as 540 defense. OR have about ~23% block, ~1400value, ~21% dodge and way over 540 defense. Im bringing this up because i believe im losing valuable threat from holy shield and my "shield of righteousness" since this new gear i have has LOTS of dodge, and NO block value or rating. So my main question is, do i stack this dodge gear and lose lots of block, or suck it up..put my 3 pieces of naxx gear back on and wait till i get some 8.5 to fit it in. Im still just not sure if this threat problem is my fault simply because its the same hunter\mage riding me on threat every fight. Also i feel a bit wrong having under 20%block chance without holyshield up, but having 24%+ dodge is very nice even tho it has DR

Do you prefer to block 3k of a 30k hit or avoid it all together?

Quote Originally Posted by Lizana View Post
    Do you prefer to block 3k of a 30k hit or avoid it all together?
    Of course id rather avoid it all together, but id also like to make sure the mage pulling as much tps as me doesnt get one shot by that 30k hit. My question is, can i really believe im losing a decent amount of threat by losing so much block rating and value.

EDIT- Another thing id like to add is that, i use the program rawr, and when i take off my "block legs" (7.5) my avoidance+block is no longer 100% rather then with the(dodge legs) Saronite plated legguards my avoidance+block is only 99.41%. That sounds like a bad thing correct?
    Last edited by Clunk; 05-13-2009 at 10:18 PM.

Your first job without a question is Survivability. You pull 0 threat if your dead. Once you are sure you can survive a fight then worry about your other stats.

Block is a decent threat stat, since SotR is one of our major damage moves and is holy if get the RF multiplier so once you are sure you can survive it by all means stack some block. One of the best threads ever if you have and TPS questions:

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20823

But imo push your threat as much as you can but DPS still need to be worried about their own threat. Both hunters and mages have threat wipes so if they are getting close they need to be using them. Also remember that ranged need to be pullin 130% of your threat before they will get agro.

Also wings and Salv are good friends, Maly is probably the only fight where I had threat problems (not so much now that Locks can’t teleport out of vortex) and I would blow wings as soon as he lands and Salv every time it was on cool down. Don’t use wings if you think there is a iminate risk but if you know the fight and you can predict the spikes you should be fine to use it.

On the whole block cap thing. Its 102.4% Avoid+block+HS that you need to become block capped ie, where block starts falling off the hit table.

The only benefit is that you can no longer take a normal hit, you block everything that isnt avoided and that turns you block value into EH. Its good to have, and not hard as a Pally, but it is by no means required.

Quote Originally Posted by Irat View Post
    On the whole block cap thing. Its 102.4% Avoid+block+HS that you need to become block capped ie, where block starts falling off the hit table.

The only benefit is that you can no longer take a normal hit, you block everything that isnt avoided and that turns you block value into EH. Its good to have, and not hard as a Pally, but it is by no means required.
    Well with the avoidance macro in game im at +103.7% avoidance so thats good, just that program rawr is a bit confusing and possibly off.

All is well after a little change in spec and back to the block rating libram with some seal switching.

- Thanks for the link Irat

Quote Originally Posted by Irat View Post
    This is true.

Turf the block rating libram, the libram of obstruction is MUCH better. If you're tanking udluar 25, I'd worry more about overall stam and armor than the last couple points to 102.4%.

+ Reply to Thread