+ Reply to Thread

Thread: stats for healers in heroics

stats for healers in heroics

so the other night i was tanking a pug group in H COS and the priest that was healing was complaning that i was tanking too much damage and he was healing too much and he never had too heal that much.
    while i'm at 545 deffence and my dodge and block are sitting at 20%. i know i don't have the best gear and not the worst gear either.

so my question is what should a healer stat's be at when it come's to healing in heroic's?
    druid and pally and priest's

p.s. i know nothing about what a healer stats should be

Quote Originally Posted by cruize View Post
    so the other night i was tanking a pug group in H COS and the priest that was healing was complaning that i was tanking too much damage and he was healing too much and he never had too heal that much.
    while i'm at 545 deffence and my dodge and block are sitting at 20%. i know i don't have the best gear and not the worst gear either.

so my question is what should a healer stat's be at when it come's to healing in heroic's?
    druid and pally and priest's

p.s. i know nothing about what a healer stats should be
    What is your health unbuffed? Heroic COS is one of those that the higher the health pool the better. If your 24k+ then you are fine there isnt much more you can do gear wise beside run heroics and badge out.

For healers, I do not know specific stats, but it sounds to me as if the priest is used to a well geared tank and is used to flash heal spamming.

I healed all of TBC on a resto shaman and I am used to a different heal-style. Now a days all I see is healers spamming their 1.5 second heals and expecting that to get you through.

We have a priest in my guild, and he is a nice guy, but sucks as a healer. He thinks, a renew, POM and flash heal is all he needs to do. Now Im well geared, 28k health, 541 defense, with 21% block, 20% dodge and 18% parry and I still die. I have noticed a lack of good healers that use all of their tools in their tool box.

So the next time you pug a healer, pay attention or get recount and take a look at what they are doing to heal you. If they are flash heal spammers then run far and fast. LOL!

i disagree my mainspec is holy im a pally btw i spam my faster heals and it keeps the crappy geard tanks alive in heroics atleast imo 1350 sp is good for heroics or right about that and alot of healing depends on tanks gear i know u said that u got good gear but another thing i know is somtimes tanks get unlucky and are taking huge hits but i also know somtimes heals dont hit for crap i mean somtimes my holy light will hit for 250 but when im not doing crappy heals it will hit for 12k so it may be he was doing everything right but either u were getting hit alot or that his heals were low

Epic sentence there Hope o.O

Glancing at the armouries of a few of our guildies, the ones that are heroic geared with a couple naxx pieces sit at ~16-1700sp, and the alts that are just starting heroics are in the 12-1300 range. So long as the healer is competant they should be fine with around 1300 but of course the skill of the healer will have a lot to do with it. The best thing to do is find a few good healers and friendlist them. Ask them first whenever you're planning to run heroics then PuG the DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by cruize View Post
    the priest that was healing was complaning that i was tanking too much damage
    Remember that the amount of damage you take will go up if any mobs are behind you. CoS is one of those instances where the mobs can come fast and furious. It can be done slower, of course, but normally when I run we are doing a mount run. Rushing into pulls is fine, but always take that second to position as you pull.

When mobs are behind you the only mitigation you have is armor. (No dodge, block, and parry) You may be fine, and ran into a poor healer. When that happens, you can use the opportunity to improve your positioning, and work on using your trinkets and cooldowns to see just how little damage you can take.

As to stats; Classes are different, so quoting a set amount of spell power, haste, crit, mp5, etc can be misleading. If I have a pug healer, I find it's always a good idea to do a quick inspect. If they are in questing greens and blues, I know I'm going to have to make sure I avoid as much damage as possible.

I was healing heroics as soon as I dinged 80 (has quest/dungeon blues and some boe epics), think I had around 1100 +healing self buffed at the time.

We have a healing forum.

Please use it.

Moved.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

My main is a pally and my main spec is prot....or is it holy, who knows with me any more. I just recently got some nice upgrades on my holy gear. I have only healed a few heroics but I heal raids all the time. My spell haste is in the 400's my mp5 is a little over 200(kinda low), my spell crit is in the 30% range and my spell power is just a hair shy of 2k(unbuffed). In the heroics I have healed I have done just fine with no wipes.

I have healed heroics with lesser gear than I currently got. But for a pally I would suggest:
    ~1450 Spell power
    ~15k mana
    ~200 spell haste
    ~20% crit
    and with these stats and SOME SKILL you should be able to heal any heroic

While some may not admit it, that is a hard instance to heal as a priest. I am in 25naxx/25maly gear and that place can still kick my ass. Its all about positioning and getting lucky with the spawns. and mana conservation. Even if the tank is heavily geared you really can't slack on those because a lot of the DPS is not mitigated. So likeit was said higher up, health pool is a big deal. Of course this is all assuming you are doing the timed run.

Right now I have a holy priest and a holy pally, they're very different to heal on. Most people like my pally better and he's only a hair under 2100 bonus. My priest is about 1800 so naturally he doesn't blast heals as well. I still torture people on my priest so I can gear up though, but I make sure I run with a decent tank and dps.

If you think it's hard using a Priest or Paladin in timed CoS, try using a Shaman. Long cast times + relatively expensive spells + no talented mana regeneration = massive reliance on having good gear.

The upside, however, being that we get Earth Shield and Riptide to be used on the move, and Bloodlust/Heroism certainly helps down a boss more quickly. Chainheals are useful if your tank doesn't hold perfect AoE aggro and the melee dps take a few hits as well, and it's nice and mana effecient.

I'd say the utter minimum of a timed Strat run on a Resto Shaman is:

Spellpower: 1500 (after Earthliving buff), preferably 1700+
    MP5 (in combat): 200 (after Water Shield buff), preferably 350+
    Mana: 17.5k (before buffs), preferably 20k+

Crit and Haste are less important, but anything above 12% crit is nice (with 20%+ being great).

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    If you think it's hard using a Priest or Paladin in timed CoS, try using a Shaman. Long cast times + relatively expensive spells + no talented mana regeneration = massive reliance on having good gear.
    My holy priestess got a bronze drake the other day. Admittedly, she has good gear (nothing you can't get from heroics or reputation rewards, though), but then, you'd demand the same from damage dealers and the tank. I used my Shadowfiend precisely once, for the second boss, and could have probably done without it.

Mana management in timed Culling of Stratholme is mostly a matter of experience, and gearing appropriately. The one actual disadvantage that priests have is that they can't cleanse Hemotoxin and have to heal through it (15% of a tank's max health every tick). But there's nothing that can't be healed with an appropriately geared tank and proactive healing.

I'm not sure what you mean by "long cast times", "relatively expensive spells", and "no talented mana regeneration" for either paladins or priests, though.

Edit: Apparently, I'm an idiot, and can't actually read what other people write. My apologies, I somehow took your post to mean the exact opposite of what you wrote.
    Last edited by Roana; 04-12-2009 at 02:53 AM.

I ment that's what Shamans have to put up with. Priests are great healers in CoS, and my personal preference when I'm tanking.

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    I ment that's what Shamans have to put up with. Priests are great healers in CoS, and my personal preference when I'm tanking.
    Yeah, apparently I have literacy issues.

as a healer and sometimes tank i find a few problems healing cos , first is tanks and los ( this includes warriors charging ) make sure your healer is with you b4 starting combat with the groups , invariably your healer is healing the dps who are taking trash or looting ( silly i know wanting to pick up loot ) . if your healer is not ready you can start the fight with all mobs hitting you and the healer is not even in range . you are taking the highest amount of damage and your healer is napping . allow your healer time to catch up and explain that this is a timed or normal . stats arent that essential , most should be able to keep you up , i have a epicced holy priest with 2.2k healing who at times struggles cos of early/unready pulls .

certain classes give ready tells for healing priests its prayer of mending pallies its sacred shield and bacon , shammies drop totems , druids hmmm , dont know too much there but normally there is a tree standing next to you . once ready pull , keep an eye on mana, cos is ugly for regen , semi constant combat means little oofsr regen

different classes need different stats to insure good regen , spirit for druids and holy priests , mp5 on shammy and disc priest , crit and mp5 on pally , i would be more concerned here than on raw spellpower , my pally with 1650 sp heals 2.8k on a fol about 9 on a hl and 4.5 on hs , this should be enough to keep you up , priests have an easier time with the splash and aoe with fire and forget pom , and coh instants like renew gs and bubble . but i would look hard at mana regen in combat, a 1400 sp with decent regen should make it thru , similar for other classes

dont forget mobs behind you mean you have no aviodance and only armor mitigation , ( no dodge parry block ) keep mobs in front , or you take more damage than regular pull situations , i know teaching my granny to .... but sometimes tanks forget this . everyone in front = easy healing

cos has the abominations in the groups , they have a chain which disrupts casting of spells by stunning for some time , if the healer gets chained once , no biggie , twice in a row your in trouble , i am unsure how they target the chain but i think it is based on distance from fight ( healers like to stand back very far as healing range is 40 most dps range is 30 ) ask the healer to move forward so they dont get disrupted or get someone to off heal if you have that option in your group , explain to the ranged dps they need to be behind the healer on those fights
    Last edited by axforu; 04-12-2009 at 03:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by axforu View Post
    cos has the abominations in the groups , they have a chain which disrupts casting of spells by stunning for some time , if the healer gets chained once , no biggie , twice in a row your in trouble , i am unsure how they target the chain but i think it is based on distance from fight ( healers like to stand back very far as healing range is 40 most dps range is 30 ) ask the healer to move forward so they dont get disrupted or get someone to off heal if you have that option in your group , explain to the ranged dps they need to be behind the healer on those fights
    Only Meathook has the chains. He targets a random ranged player. As a healer, you cannot move in melee range, because he casts an AE counterspell every 4-5 seconds. The best solution is to place Meathook where he doesn't have LOS on the healer:

Code:
     M   T
    ---+
       |
       |
       | H
    M = Meathook, T = tank, H = healer, + = corner of a building.

Line of sight healing is a great idea for situations like this, but you need to be clear with your tank on this beforehand. It's often hard enough keeping tanks in sight as it is without making it even harder.

One of my old Priest friends used to be great at this, and very rarely got out of LOS with me, and nearly always got out of LOS herself if threatened (and knew when to stack on top of me if there was danger of being speared or whatnot). Truely a pleasure to run instances when you know you can rely 100% on your healer without even checking.

+ Reply to Thread