+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 3.1 Frost tank build

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...5&version=9757
    15/51/5
    Working with this in Ulduar, atm. Haven't made the move to throw any points into acclimation yet, and so far do not plan on it. Despite regemming for stam and dropping threat trinkets, my overall threat has improved with 3.1, and I find myself passing our MT too often..
    Last edited by Theprince; 04-20-2009 at 06:04 AM.

So, just out of curiousity, how many of the frosties here have actually picked up the Howling Blast glyph? So far, I've not seen it on the AH on my server, which is making my rotation harder than it should be.

For those who have found it on the AH, how much did you pay for it? If you are or have an alt scribe character, where/how did you pick it up? How are you liking it?

All these lovely new glyphs are still a rarity for many of us; any insight is appreciated!
    Makep§ - Cold Hearted
    Bryenne - Disc Jockey.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryenne View Post
    So, just out of curiousity, how many of the frosties here have actually picked up the Howling Blast glyph? So far, I've not seen it on the AH on my server, which is making my rotation harder than it should be.

For those who have found it on the AH, how much did you pay for it? If you are or have an alt scribe character, where/how did you pick it up? How are you liking it?

All these lovely new glyphs are still a rarity for many of us; any insight is appreciated!
    I got extremely lucky picking up one of those books off the AH for 125g buyout (I feel sorry for the guy who put it up for sale, when they are up for like 3k now) and a guildie ended up with the HB glyph from it. I haven't had time to play around with it yet however.

Waiting to pick mine up, there were only two on the AH for 550g/each, I refuse to pay it, so I'm sitting and waiting until a guildie gets it or the price drops.

I posted earlier in this thread but realizing how bad lichborne got nerfed badly, I respec'd to this

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

What Kinda glyphs are recommended ?

Quote Originally Posted by Knyteshade View Post
    This is kinda what I'm looking at for my more survival based spec for dual speccing

to contrast that here is my threat based spec that will mostly be my mian spec.

so far i've found blood vastly under-performing frost for total threat and TPS. are you finding different?

I got extremely lucky picking up one of those books off the AH for 125g buyout (I feel sorry for the guy who put it up for sale, when they are up for like 3k now) and a guildie ended up with the HB glyph from it. I haven't had time to play around with it yet however.
    Talk about a freakin' bargin! Your guildmate should seriously tip you for that, he can sell the actual glyph for a nice chunk of change right now.

Waiting to pick mine up, there were only two on the AH for 550g/each, I refuse to pay it, so I'm sitting and waiting until a guildie gets it or the price drops.
    Found 3 sellers on my server last night, lowest buyout was about 260, with bidding at 160. I put in a bid, hope no one overbids me. Either way, I'll pick it up later today in prep for tonight's raid. Should smooth out my aoe rotation nicely.
    Makep§ - Cold Hearted
    Bryenne - Disc Jockey.

I actually got mine in a pretty interesting way. Like 3 days after the patch, not a single scribe on the server had learned it yet. I was hating tanking with my spec without it as I had so much extra in my rotation. I have a guildy though who had recently purchased an account on another server where it was for sale. He bought a couple there for just 100G each before he transferred that toon to our server. I paid him 150G for his time an he made a real nice profit selling the others for 250G as he had zero competion. I absolutely love this glyph though and see it as necessary for any frost tank.

this is my spec... is good enough ?
    what glyphs should i use ?
    and btw, what is the best rotation ? to a single target and for multi targets

I still don't see why many frost tanks bother putting points in Morbitity. Really. DnD is practically worthless for a frost build, HB+BB is going to net you more threat for the same amount of runes, and allow you to put those 3 points into something useful. Pick up Virulence only if you're low on spell hit, otherwise you should drop it and plow those points back into the frost tree.

10/56/5
    No nonsense, all purpose 2H frost tank build. Heroics, 10-mans, 25's, whatever. Good for main tanking, great for offtanking, superior for aoe tanking. Sure, you could float the point in Hungering Cold to something else, and swap out the 3rd major glyph for, say, Disease. Or Rune Strike, or Frost Strike, or Obliterate. Pick your favorite, the first two are the real essentials. I LIKE Hungering Cold, it's great for grabbing unfortunate patrols, interrupting casts, and stopping (or at least delaying) your casters from getting squished. Pick up gear with solid defense, gem for hit rating and strength. Don't feel like or can't affodr dual-speccing? Get some dps gear, switch to blood presence, and this build puts out respectable damage when not tanking (more than a prot warrior or paladin, to be sure).

Now get out there and tank.
    Yes!! thats what I was looking for!

Tried it. Perfect. Aggro hold is good in AE or single. No complaints.

Thanks alot Bryenne. Owe you one
    When a druid changes to a bear don't mess with him....

Quote Originally Posted by Malygor View Post
    Yes!! thats what I was looking for!

Tried it. Perfect. Aggro hold is good in AE or single. No complaints.

Thanks alot Bryenne. Owe you one
    what rotaion are u using with this? any suggestions also from other people? :P

the Howling Blast glyph is excellent. i really can't say it any other way.

Since icy touch isn't as good now, howling blast glyph allows you silly rotations like

HB > BS > BS > OB > Dump
    OB > HB > OB > Dump

etc. It also provides the easiest AoE trash rotation ever with lots of snap aggro, and doesn't need a blood tap like the old rotation, and also doesn't take as long to get rolling as Unholy.

DnD > HB > BB, then just kind of BB and HB when they're up =)

My personal threat has gone up considerably since 3.1. This is the spec I'm using (pretty sure it's identical to one someone posted above, but MMO-Champion doesn't work right for me so I couldn't be sure) Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

Acclamitization

I found that having acclimatization before ulduar was a waste of 3 points which could be better placed in generating threat. Especially with the nerf to HB damage i wonder if it would be worth going for those 3 points in acclimatization and getting rid of some attack power. The following is the talent spec which i have come up with:

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...4&version=9704

The only reason i have deathchill is in case i need to build a lot of threat on some adds running loose in encounters like razor or something. Deathchill + HB or IT will put a lot of threat on me.

The alternative is going unholy to tank for magic mitigation in ulduar, but i'd rather not give up the increase time on IBF, unbreakable armor and the facility of HB and maintaining only 2 cooldowns (IBF + UA) instead of 3 (Bone Shield+ IBF + AMShield)

I am sorry, that link is not the one that i intended: this is
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...4&version=9704

1) should a frost tank even bother keeping up blood plague (plague strike) in their rotation? I was thinking to keep the extra disease up to give more bonus to obliterate.

2) should i macro in rune strike to all my abilities or should i let runic power buildup for frost strike dump?

my armory:
    The World of Warcraft Armory

which is better for threat 3/3 subversion or 3/3 virulence?

this is the baseline spec i'm looking at 3pts left:

Quote Originally Posted by Sagan View Post
    which is better for threat 3/3 subversion or 3/3 virulence?

this is the baseline spec i'm looking at 3pts left:
    It kind of depends on how much +hit you alrdy have. the 3% extra hitchance wil give extra room to swap hit-gems for dodge-gems for example.
    I wouldn't bother with extra crit since you will be critting a lot with this build as it is.
    hope that helps!
    greetings

frost

Hi i want to try a frost build for tanking heroics and was thinking about using this, please tell me your comments and how can i improve it, thanks
    http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc.xml?cid=6&tal=0055000000000000000000000000305 05000352033000301251313510052000000000000000000000 00000
    Last edited by Ankh; 05-10-2009 at 04:27 PM.

So after all that time pre planning my spec before 3.1 based on what the "planned" changes were, nothing really would give me a better indicator of what i did and didnt need in my spec till 3.1 came out.
    its been out just around a month now and im damn happy with my spec.
    however im open to suggestions, check me out
    The World of Warcraft Armory
    also, stam or avoidance? i have both my monarch crab and essence of gossamer in my bags, some fights i feel like avoidance is better others i feel stam, if unsure i usually have my crab and rune of repulsion equipped any suggestions in regards to gemming/enchant changes?

+ Reply to Thread