+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New video card - stay away from dual setups?

New video card - stay away from dual setups?

As part of my PC upgrade project I'm looking at new video cards. My budget is pretty high, and I've been looking at a GTX295 to keep my PC going for a couple of years.

As you'd imagine, the main game I play is WoW, though I do mess around with other games, and I eventually want to use my PC to run video to my HD TV.

I've been reading worrying reports that using SLi or cards with 2 onboard graphics chips can actually make WoW performance worse, which I don't really want.

I currently have a 8800GTS 320MB, so I'm expecting my performance to improve, even if it's 'worse' than expected.

Does anyone have any experience with this phenomenon?

Everyone I know who uses an SLi setup with 2 cards has no performance issues on wow at max settings.

Maybe on games that are actually hard on graphics cards... but not wow at least.
    You do realize why the Borg are so bad at making dimmer switches don't you?
    Resistance is futile.

Hmm, I'd read something to the effect that because WoW is such an old game, it gets confused when you have 2 graphics cards set up in SLi/Crossfire or if you have a dual chip set up a la GTX295.

Having said that if that is proving not to be an issue, I'll order a new graphics card in a few weeks.

Only thing I've heard of is incorrect software settings for main/alternate displays causing performance issues, never heard of any issues with sli/crossfire being the culprit. I'm only running a single 8800 512 at the moment, but I'm planning to SLI when I get the $$ for another card.

Possibly a cooling or power issue though? Sucks a lot of power and blows a lot of hot air for two cards, especially at max settings.

There's nothing wrong with using dual-GPU setups, if they're driving a single monitor.

With that said, WoW doesn't really take advantage of the second GPU. If you care about WoW performance, don't worry about a 2nd GPU. Just make sure your CPU is top notch.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. -Seneca
    Everyone marvels at a square egg, but only the chicken understands the PAIN.

+ Reply to Thread