+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tanking Reference: Positioning & Movement

Tanking Reference: Positioning & Movement

This movie is available for direct download for Donors. Click here to learn more!

I used a lot less extraneous video this time around. This should help keep the movie clear and clean, but it doesn't necessarily make it entertaining. I'll continue to work on improving the relevance and frequency of video clips for future reference movies.

Most of this is common knowledge but there are a few tidbits worth watching even if you're very experienced w/ the game. This is "advancing" around the 3:00 marker and strafing at the end of the movie.

Reasoning for Ranged
    I didn't have time to fit the 110/130 rule and aggro mechanics as they relate to position into this video. Those will be in a Threat-specific movie instead. However, it's worth noting that ranged want to stay at a range because they're less likely to pull aggro here. It's not just so you can run away if you're targeted.

Jumping
    The video does not work as well as it should here for illustrating the reasoning for jumping. The benefit to jumping is that you minimize the time you can get hit in the back to a fraction of a second while still letting you continue a forward motion. It's more important on some encounters such as dragons where tail attacks make it much more difficult to simply turn the mob. Unfortunately, I picked a Lethon rotation where I actually failed to do this at the right time, and didn't catch it until I uploaded.

My server latency also hurt the mid-jump Shockwave clip, since the animation and damage message shows it going in the opposite direction of the wolf. Rest assured, it's hit and stunned behind me.

I had no idea how useful strafing could be.

Great vid!
    |Kaad|Warrior|Protection|The Milk Drinkers|Runetotem|US|

Great video. I really appreciate the effort to make the clips match exactly what you are explaining. It doesn't matter that it is not as entertaining because the intent is to teach not to entertain.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Also I had an idea for your next video. How about a video on "pulling". I have grouped with a lot of people that just can't pull properly.

You can cover, pulling casters and using LOS to get them to move. For example in UP in the room right before the end boss, you want to pull those guys out of that room.

You can also cover pulls with OT and MTs. Like for trash mobs in OS when you want MT on 2 and OT on 2. How to quickly get agro, etc.

Pulling efficiency. How to quickly move through trash. Tanks should be looking at raid parties mana, raid health etc. to ensure a successful pull.

That was great info you provided on the difference between how the server handles strafing as opposed to backing up. I'll definitely be using that in the future. Great video Cider.

Quote Originally Posted by Diffy View Post

Also I had an idea for your next video. How about a video on "pulling". I have grouped with a lot of people that just can't pull properly.

You can cover, pulling casters and using LOS to get them to move. For example in UP in the room right before the end boss, you want to pull those guys out of that room.

You can also cover pulls with OT and MTs. Like for trash mobs in OS when you want MT on 2 and OT on 2. How to quickly get agro, etc.

Pulling efficiency. How to quickly move through trash. Tanks should be looking at raid parties mana, raid health etc. to ensure a successful pull.
    I think there is a pulling video up in the Movie forums. It's not too in depth, it just shows a couple basic pulls. It's still a help for people just getting into tanking.

I can't watch the video with audio at work, but I did want to mention the atrocious Ui in the clips from old 40 man content. It made me laugh and feel a little nostalgic.

Dude, the strafing deal I kinda figured out on my own a bit, this just gave me the proof I needed.

I would strafe with Gluth to bring him closer to the door so the Chow's couldn't get to him as fast. Now I know I can bring him even closer to the door and give my people that much extra time. Woo woo!

Everything I know about tanking I learned from....Ossirian? Its mostly true, that fight, so long ago at the end of AQ20, had several key elements that poor tanks had a hard time dealing with.

1) Situational awareness - being able to identify which crystal was the best to head for required quick decisions
    2) Environmental awareness - Watch out for the giant sandstorms that could wipe you, and your raid!
    3) Movement - Gotta move to those crystals while maintaining threat over your cohorts, before the advent of threatmeters! At the same time, keeping you facing him so you could still dodge/parry/block

One of my favorite fights just because I felt it challenged tanks, and great tanks shined bright.

didn't know they did a prediction based movement on strafing versus reaction based movement on forward/backwards, good to know. Would've liked a quick recap on Grob since that one really messes people up during repositioning. EVERY new tank we've ever had tank grob, ends up pointing him somewhere he shouldn't or doesn't get grob close enough to the walls so he ends up spraying members.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I use stafing a lot, but I never knew that the server responded differantly to strafing and backing up. Very useful information, thank you very much.

I've been wondering how you accomplish the turn around so quickly, for instance when you jumped, turned, Shockwaved, turned and landed the way you were going originally. I feel that's a key part of where I fail in moving/positioning.
    Also, definitely good to know about server response for strafing vs forward backward movement.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Leviin View Post
    I've been wondering how you accomplish the turn around so quickly, for instance when you jumped, turned, Shockwaved, turned and landed the way you were going originally. I feel that's a key part of where I fail in moving/positioning.
    Also, definitely good to know about server response for strafing vs forward backward movement.
    Thanks!
    What you do is hold your right mouse button down and then just flick your wrist to turn and then turn back while you're still in the air. It takes some practice and a sensitive mouse, but after you get used to it, it's pretty easy.

I used to jump shoot a lot when I was playing a hunter. It helped with kiting, but I never used it too much on my warrior. I will turn and quickly and SW stuff and then turn back, but I usualy don't don't shoot it while on the move.

Always useful information Cider, the tidbit on strafing mobs through the door was something I'd never even heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Hit Me View Post
    What you do is hold your right mouse button down and then just flick your wrist to turn and then turn back while you're still in the air. It takes some practice and a sensitive mouse, but after you get used to it, it's pretty easy.

I used to jump shoot a lot when I was playing a hunter. It helped with kiting, but I never used it too much on my warrior. I will turn and quickly and SW stuff and then turn back, but I usualy don't don't shoot it while on the move.

Thanks!

Wow... A couple of minutes of white screen, followed by a five-second video clip. Then more white screen, and another five seconds of video.

I understand the need to keep the movie as streamlined as possible, but there must be something that could be put up during the white screen parts - diagrams showing examples, or text bullet points illustrating what is being discussed, or something. Anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mhoram View Post
    Wow... A couple of minutes of white screen, followed by a five-second video clip. Then more white screen, and another five seconds of video.

I understand the need to keep the movie as streamlined as possible, but there must be something that could be put up during the white screen parts - diagrams showing examples, or text bullet points illustrating what is being discussed, or something. Anything.
    I won't be as harsh as this person, but definitely keeping the video flowing is essential to providing a cohesive experience.

So for future reference, a cohesive flow covering the piece of the video, a short intro to the next piece, discussion during the video, and then keep going?

The white sections were obviously meant to be parts where you're paying more attention to what's being said as opposed to what's going on on screen.

I have no qualms with it. Good beginner tank video.

Thank you Cider for the vid. As a tank that is constantly wanting to learn more, the tip on the strafing now goes into my bag of tricks.
    Cant wait to see more!
    And yes your work is greatly appreciated. So much I am going to do the donor thing as soon as I make this post.

I have a quick question regarding strafing, I don't have the time or expertise to do it myself so I'll ask those of you who could tell me. While strafing away from a mob are you actually showing them your back thereby omitting your mitigation and damage reduction? I mean what is the conal angle that mitigation actually responds to? Is it 180 degrees in front of you and any mob behind that mark essentialy ignores your mitigation? Is strafing only positioning oriented? I do know my movements and use strafing but i was wondering what i was sacrificing by doing so, basically is it the same as showing my back.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    didn't know they did a prediction based movement on strafing versus reaction based movement on forward/backwards, good to know. Would've liked a quick recap on Grob since that one really messes people up during repositioning. EVERY new tank we've ever had tank grob, ends up pointing him somewhere he shouldn't or doesn't get grob close enough to the walls so he ends up spraying members.
    There's no magic pill for grobbulus other than constantly moving (walking backwards with 'walk' enabled to be as slow as possible).

Quote Originally Posted by LxDraco View Post
    I have a quick question regarding strafing, I don't have the time or expertise to do it myself so I'll ask those of you who could tell me. While strafing away from a mob are you actually showing them your back thereby omitting your mitigation and damage reduction? I mean what is the conal angle that mitigation actually responds to? Is it 180 degrees in front of you and any mob behind that mark essentialy ignores your mitigation? Is strafing only positioning oriented? I do know my movements and use strafing but i was wondering what i was sacrificing by doing so, basically is it the same as showing my back.
    If you're careful while strafing you can keep yourself oriented ever-so-slightly towards your enemy. You can tell if this is the case by whether you're able to still use targeted abilities without getting an error, such as w/ Malygos.

If you can use abilities you can also block, dodge, and parry. There are no penalties.

+ Reply to Thread