+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Obstructed View

Obstructed View

Does anybody else suffer from their view being obstructed while tanking? As a human paladin, when I'm right there in the middle of the action, I have problems losing site of my targets. All I see are explosions, area effects, smoke, flashes, etc. Once I think I have everything under control, I hear somebody yell out in vent that somethings on them.

Does anybody have any good tips on how to reduce these effects? I don't want it all gone; I just want to see what is going on

Thank you!

I press V for enemy nameplates.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopegoran View Post
    Does anybody else suffer from their view being obstructed while tanking? As a human paladin, when I'm right there in the middle of the action, I have problems losing site of my targets. All I see are explosions, area effects, smoke, flashes, etc. Once I think I have everything under control, I hear somebody yell out in vent that somethings on them. Thank you!
    Check out this setting: /console CameraDistanceMaxFactor 4 so you can zoom out farther and get a better view of the action, coupled with orcstar's suggestion of hitting 'v' to see the name plates.

followup question - turn down spell effects?

Just to followup on this - I'm curious if it's possible to turn down spell/graphics effects somewhat, without losing the ability to still see that spells/effects are being cast / ground effects/etc ?

Just wondering as I've heard that this might improve overall game performance as well..?

What settings do most tanks run with? Is there a 'sweet spot' for the video settings that works well with tanking on an average PC ?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Fini View Post
    /console CameraDistanceMaxFactor 4
    Been doing this a LONG time now, it's amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Berune View Post
    Just to followup on this - I'm curious if it's possible to turn down spell/graphics effects somewhat, without losing the ability to still see that spells/effects are being cast / ground effects/etc ?

Just wondering as I've heard that this might improve overall game performance as well..?

What settings do most tanks run with? Is there a 'sweet spot' for the video settings that works well with tanking on an average PC ?

Thanks!
    Turning down spell effects will definitely improve performance if your computers drops to 1FPS when people start throwing down the AOE's. I don't know if there are currently any effects that don't show on the lowest spell detail. I'm pretty sure void zones and other AOE effects that you need to dodge will show up at the lowest spell detail.

Made the mistake of having the lowest graphic setting for Grob one time and I couldnt see the poison clouds so I had to guess when to move him. Id suggest about the middle of the spell detail slider.

We use the lowest graphics on Sarth 3D. It means all you see are teeny graphics on breaths, and HUGE BLUE VOID ZONES. It helped those in our guild who had trouble with VZs avoid popping up on our Pally tank's Fail-o-meter.

Using lowest graphics elsewhere is a pain, as you miss things like poison clouds, as well as Consecration and DnD.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinator View Post
    We use the lowest graphics on Sarth 3D. It means all you see are teeny graphics on breaths, and HUGE BLUE VOID ZONES. It helped those in our guild who had trouble with VZs avoid popping up on our Pally tank's Fail-o-meter.

Using lowest graphics elsewhere is a pain, as you miss things like poison clouds, as well as Consecration and DnD.
    I'll test this out tonight. I'm proud that my computer can run at highest on everything, but for the sake of everyone else, I'll see what I'm missing at the lowest level. I'm almost positive they fixed Grobby's poison cloud so it will show up on the lowest detail, but only testing will confirm that, unless someone else out there has recent experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Fini View Post
    I'm almost positive they fixed Grobby's poison cloud so it will show up on the lowest detail, but only testing will confirm that, unless someone else out there has recent experience.

It does, just not much. Did him just the other night and forgot to move my spell detail up from the lowest setting. Could just see the outline of the clouds.
    Last edited by smackers; 04-08-2009 at 01:03 PM. Reason: typo

+ Reply to Thread