+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DK Frost MT (DW and 2hd specs included)

DK Frost MT (DW and 2hd specs included)

Alright, this is my DK. Have been MT for our Naxx runs and everything pre-Naxx without any problems, only 10-mans so far. Testing out DW for a few weeks now and love it. Not sure if I will stick with it after 3.1 though, only time will tell.

So here is my DW spec/gear I am right now... The World of Warcraft Armory

And this is my old 2hd spec that I use with slight gear tweaks but mainly is the weapon being the Titansteel Destroyer. Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

Now one thing I just noticed tonight was that even though I am defense capped as DW, 542def, my chance to be hit/critically hit is only 5.68% and I can't figure out why. And if I toss on my Destroyer with RotSG and am at 552def I am at 6.08% which is basically what I thought the minimum was percentage-wise. Did they maybe ninja tweak something or am I missing something?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated along with any suggestions. Thanks.

While the tooltip states this you should be fine, there is no gimp to def skill when you DW (some would argue survivability but that's another story). Now about the builds, personally seeing your weapon choice you have and your gear level you should probably switch back to 2 hander for a while keeping that RSoC in the bank or something and using the titansteel until you can get a silent crusader or slayer of the lifeless as you will notice in naxx while DW is an awesome AoE and survival spec it does nothing to threat which will hurt you on big fights on pw as you start raiding especially due to the lack of expertise at that gear level. This also brings me to another point in that DW starts getting hard to keep at def cap in the next gear level your about to reach, meanwhile with a 2hander it's easier.

And as far as build goes it's excellent my personal prefference says to take points out of chill of the grave personally in favor of morbidity for keeping up aoe agro outside of HB's. But again this is a personal issue, though I will warn once you get raiding you may want to drop in your DW build icy talons due to the fact that shaman's windfury totem will overwrite it and that's 6 wasted talent points a shammy replaced with a trainable spell. You will also notice that while 9/10 of bosses no longer parry gib the ones that do will be hurting you more with that haste.

Mmm... Morbidity is a decent talent, but the buff to death coil is useless thanks to the fact that frost strike is only like 18 times betters. With a decent KM + HB every other HB cooldown there's not a huge reason that you'll need a Death and Decay outside of your first one on trash pulls. Morbidity is a skippable talent. However, Chill of the Grave actually adds a bit to your threat gen and the extra runic power equals out to a lot of frost strikes, which is also more threat.
    If you raid with an enhancement shaman their windfury totem is just as good as improved icy touch... so you can skip those points and add them in other places, if not IiT is too beneficial to the raid to trade for the other talents you could get.

If you're dualwielding you need to prioritize expertise over everything but being defense capped.

I like Morbidity, and have it in my build - I find it useful in picking up patrolls that someone accidently agros, and my HB is on CD (which, is a skill I use constantly for DPS / holding onto agro for trash, where everyone is typically hitting different targets).

I think Merciliess combat is relatively a watse of a talent, as, at 35%, when your raid is burning the boss, you should have adequate agro as is. I take Improved Icy Talons, so that Shamans can use other totems, besides Windfury to help the raid (plus, there's nothing much else worth taking for tanking in Frost).

This is what I use for 2H Frost Tanking
    Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

And I have no problems holding agro against any of my DPS raiders.

Here's what I use for 2handers.. Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

And what I'm thinking for dual wield tanking (looking to get the weapons for it now so I can try it out.. gonna enchant them with Soulfrost just for funsies...) is this
    WorldofWarcraft.com -> Info -> Classes -> Death Knight -> Talent Calculator
    But I have not tested whether or not Necrosis or Bladed Armor is a larger TPS increase for DW... so that one is up to you.

Thanks for all the quick responses, some of the talents are taken because I saw them as the best option for leftover talents or fillers.

I don't run with any Shamans, so Imp Icy Talons got brought into my DW build for that fact. And the one thing I miss from my 2hd build is Morbidity actually. As VerticalEvent stated, its great for if something unplanned happens and you get a pat or another group. I run with plenty of AoE happy Warlocks and Mages that once they see something like that happen they start to AoE like crazy. So being able to toss down another DnD 10 seconds faster was always nice. Other then that though it is a waste, and I saw better spots for those 2 points when I went to DW. I also gave up Merciliess Combat with my DW spec because it was more-or-less just a filler with my 2hd rather then grabbing 20 more Runic Power.

If we ever manage to get a Shaman I will probably move those IiT points elsewhere, but till then I can't really justify getting rid of it yet.

+ Reply to Thread