+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warrior tank threat problems.

Warrior tank threat problems.

I have been having a lot of problems recently with my TPS. I have heard and believe,that warrior tanks don't have good threat generation compared to other tank classes such as paladins.

Today,in naxx 25,we were on Patchwerk. We had 3 tanks,a druid,a paladin,and me,a warrior. The paladin was main tanking. Me and the druid had to have the next best threat next to the paladin. I had omen running and was quite surprised to see that I was losing threat to a mage and a hunter. My TPS would go up to 3-4k if I worked really hard,but would eventually go down. This is worrying me quite a bit because I have to tank Malygos 10man tommorow and I heard that my TPS needs to be atleast 6-7k. If there is anyone out there that know a very good rotation to guarantee 5-6k tps,it would be nice and very helpful.

Also my talent build is 15/5/51.
    Here is a link to it:
    The World of Warcraft Armory
    Hoping for a good rotation

Your hit and expertise is really really low.

You want to have at least 26 expertise, and aim for over 200 hit.

My crappy work browser doesn't allow the popup item feature to work, so I can't see what you are gemming, but you need to regem most of your red and blue slots to Guardian's Twilight Opal (8 expertise 12 stam).

Its an unfortunate fact of warrior tanking that while we are arguably the kings of single target threat, you need ridiculously high expertise and hit to manage it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalphir View Post
    Your hit and expertise is really really low.

You want to have at least 26 expertise, and aim for over 200 hit.

My crappy work browser doesn't allow the popup item feature to work, so I can't see what you are gemming, but you need to regem most of your red and blue slots to Guardian's Twilight Opal (8 expertise 12 stam).

Its an unfortunate fact of warrior tanking that while we are arguably the kings of single target threat, you need ridiculously high expertise and hit to manage it.
    really? cuz my paladin friend from naxx(our guild mt) told me that i should never gem for expertise...so i removed all my expertise gems for Sovereign Twilight Opals(+8 Strength and +12 stamina)
    and are u sure about the hit rating? because I've never heard of warrior tanks using hit rating...
    btw,can i have a link to ur armory ? I want to see what u use..

Quote Originally Posted by Ugdrazil View Post
    really? cuz my paladin friend from naxx(our guild mt) told me that i should never gem for expertise...so i removed all my expertise gems for Sovereign Twilight Opals(+8 Strength and +12 stamina)
    True if you are a paladin.
    warriors go for expertise.

and yes you need hit rating. but expertise first then hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazzy View Post
    True if you are a paladin.
    warriors go for expertise.

and yes you need hit rating. but expertise first then hit.
    ok I improved my expertise a bit...now its 19..(better than wat it used to be 13) and my hit rating is 196 so im not gonna bother getting any gems or enchants for that..im just going to try getting some of the better tank gear with expertise on it...but now onto rotations..can someone plz give me a good rotation to guarantee a good 4-5k+threat on a boss?Would be really appreciated..

Search these forums for "Ideal Warrior Single Target Threat Rotation"

There's a pretty comprehensive "rotation" (more like priority list since we rely more on randomer things like SnB and revenge procs)

The same principle that applies to dps'ers (hit means a dramatic loss or gain of dps) It can affect threat on a warrior. If you miss SS more often than not, your threat will drop dramatically.

Quote Originally Posted by Ongweboenwe View Post
    The same principle that applies to dps'ers (hit means a dramatic loss or gain of dps) It can affect threat on a warrior. If you miss SS more often than not, your threat will drop dramatically.
    so u recommend i get some kind of hit rating gem or enchant?

Ok if you are having threat issues that you want to improve I see a few important problems in your setup.

First of all I dislike both your trinket choices, Lavanthor's Talisman is mediocre at best and you are worried about being a MT so you aren't looking at a trash mob set. You are having defense cap issues and thus would be MUCH better off using Repelling Charge - Item - World of Warcraft and if that hasn't dropped for you yet at least get a Seal of the Pantheon - Item - World of Warcraft from Normal Halls of Lighting. Next you have a Valor Medal of the First War (my next least favorite tank trinket). As a warrior you are more concerned with defense, expertise and hp then dodge because we rely on rage (you aren't a DK). You would be much better served by using an Essence of Gossamer - Item - World of Warcraft from Heroic Azjol'Nerub as it increases your hp substantially.

Once you get those trinket issues taken care of you really need to replace ALL those defense gems, you are shooting yourself in the foot when it comes to threat generation. Basically you want 24 stam in all blue sockets and where ever else possible you want either 16 expertise or 8 expertise/12 stam (try to get socket bonuses where ever possible).

Soft cap for expertise is 26, hard cap is 57... you are at 19. Your hit isn't terrible but the cap is 266 so you still have a way to go, I usually use the hit food to help with that. Keep in mind expertise > hit, it is much more beneficial to a Warrior Tank especially when not yet at the soft expertise cap.

If you can take care of some of those things you should be good to go for tanking as long as you follow the suggested rotation prioritization:
    SS > Revenge > CB > Shockwave > Devastate and Heroic Strike spammed whenever 50+ rage.

See here for more info: http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f56/4...-rotation.html

EDIT: and for future reference never listen to a Pally when looking at Warrior gems/gear/stats when they don't know what they are talking about :P Warriors and Pallys are very different
    Last edited by Squirrelnut; 04-07-2009 at 09:32 AM.

thnx a lot for that advice mate..i have changed my gear and gem around a little to make my expertise 24(still working on it but almost got the soft cap) and hit rating 221 which is better than i had..i tanked vh hc,and used the rotation:
    SS>Revenge>CD>Shockwave>Devastate and Heroic strike.
    My threat on single targets had increased to 4-5k tps ,which is a huge imrpovement from where i started..thank you all very much guys
    P.S
    Here is the link to my armory if u wanna know what gear and gems i changed:
    The World of Warcraft Armory

+ Reply to Thread