+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3.1 Unholy tank spec

3.1 Unholy tank spec

for aggro, i like the current specc of my DK

World of Warcraft Europe -> Info -> Classes -> Death Knight -> Talents

Is it not true that the Ghoul (and Gargoyle, for that matter) does not increase the Tank's threat?

If that's the case, why are you guys speccing Master of Ghouls & Ghoul Frenzy

Personally, I'm thinking of using this build: Unholy Tank Spec. But I haven't tried it yet, so it may be all wrong
    There is no spoon...

It's useless spec'ing a ghoul as a tank for one main reason...AOE. Most bosses have AOE and will destroy your ghoul in a couple hits, not good, as a tank I've found only save your ghoul summon for when you are ready to use 'Death Wish'.

I had previously been a unholy tank pre 3.1 and had to modify the talents a bit, but this is a really good build I've perfected after playing unholy for so long. DK Unholy Tank Talents

It's always good to use the combo you had in your post, Bladed Armor + Impurity. Now that they changed the position of Unholy Blight this will give you even more AOE, and with Ebon + Wandering Plague your AOE will be unparalleled.

Try it out and tell me what you think XD

Label, why does your spec have points into DRM as unholy? In what situatiuons would you want to be using oblit/death strike? If you're doing that for aoe purposes, the average aoe pack will either be dead by the time your death runes come back as blood runes or you should have plenty of aggro already since UH has never had a problem with that.

Also your spec seems to be trying to specialize in AE somewhat (as is evidenced by you forgoing key single target talents such as 2-h weapon mastery, necrosis, and blood caked blade).

Most importantly though, why would you not spec into black ice? The 10% increased shadow damage (now available since 3.1) is huge for all functions of an Unholy tank. I'm not really seeing a synnergy/ concerted approach to your spec overall...

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

I tested this, and it worked pretty well. Threat was solid and mitigation wasn't too bad (not quite as good as my frost build).
    I opened up AoE pulls with DnD>IT>PS>Pestilence>Unholy blight. Really nice AoE threat from unholy, I'm considering going back to it

The World of Warcraft Armory

This is the new build i am using. it seems to be working well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinroth View Post

I tested this, and it worked pretty well. Threat was solid and mitigation wasn't too bad (not quite as good as my frost build).
    I opened up AoE pulls with DnD>IT>PS>Pestilence>Unholy blight. Really nice AoE threat from unholy, I'm considering going back to it

The only thing I would change is the Desecration. I have never used it for tanking and have been doing fine without it. I would go with Wandering Plague, and Virulenc or Improved Icy Touch.

In my humble opinion to the OP, someone mentioned having trouble finding a synergy with how you are speccing. I'd have to agree on this.

There are points in your spec that are raising question marks for me.

Paqrticularly the talents pertaining to the use of your ghoul. Now I don't give any negative nor positive opinions on talents like these due to the personal preference and/or aim of the player.

If you are a tank looking to do more damage, I can understand these talents.

However, I've never been one to support the idea that these talents are good choices. There are a good many other places to put these points. However, I won't say that they are worthless or useless talents, just that for the purposes of tanking they lack in value aside from an increased damage. Which is not credited to the tank however, (in terms of threat)

What do you think of this Spec?

New to tanking, tried taking some previous specs (above posts) and making some modifications.

would appreciate any insight as to the viability of this spec since I'm new to tanking. Want to tank as DK, and stay Unholy (preferably).

Ranger,
    The spec you listed is not bad I chose to go a slightly different path then you and did
    Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft For my off spec Aoe Tank build.
    If I have to main tank i prefer Blood spec it has an amazing ability to self heal, mitigate and continued TPS through a long fight.

Some differences in the two unholy specs.

While Black ice is nice for some TPS I would rather have the Improved Icy Touch to slow down the incoming aattacks. The decreased amount of hits you have to dodge makes a big difference.

While Ravenous Dead seems like a great place to put talents 2% of your Str is really not a big number. Using those two points in Vicious strikes will get yyou more TPS overall.

We also differed on Dirge and while some people look at that and drool as a must have I can never seem to Dump my Runic power fast enough so buffing it up more does not seem like a priority to me. Also you put points into Wandering plague that talent only works off melee Crit strike raiting Personaly Im not at a gear lvl where my crit strike is that high. So instead i put those points into a sure fire way to reduce damage and thats Ams/AmZ.

Thats my two cents on a unholy build. Im sure there are more qualified people out there to help you out though.

Ranger, Diablo already gave you some good comments. Here's more
    - Bladed armor is better than 2h-spec, max it. As tank sitting in frost pres with toughness maxed you have a lot of armor, converting it to AP boost every attack you make: DnD, UB, IT, DC... 2H spec does not help those at all
    - IIT is a great talent for many reasons, it improves your initial aggro, slows mobs (with pest this is a huge damage reduction in AOE situations). Black ice just buffs a few attacks. for tank IIT >> Black Ice
    - not glyphing Rune Strike is IMO questionable as unholy tank. RS is your best runic dump and should be macroed to all strikes; it has great TPS modifier so you want it to crit. RS/RS-crit scales great with 20% more dmg from Necrosis and 10% more from T8 2-piece bonus. Glyph RS!
    - BcB is an ok DPS but bad for tank; it can be parried ==> mob/boss parryhasting is bad
    - any unholy spec (dps or tank) is just gimping itself totally by not having Vicious Strikes. You just want to boost your main nuke, there's no way around that. Same goes with Epidemic, time spent refreshing diseases should be spent doing something better
    - virulence is a pvp talent, no use for dispell protection when tanking

Those who say they don't have time to runic dump as unholy tank are doing something wrong. Unholy is not limited by GCDs and if you have RS macroed to your strikes you'll want all the runic you can get, I spec Dirge + Scent of Blood to have even more runic. Always have UB up nad throw DCs when you have free GCDs.

Unholy spec in Tier 7.

The World of Warcraft Armory

If you are in full T8 gear, you will take Black Ice and such instead of the non-tanking talents in Blood.

Thanks for the advice guys. Diablo, I'm going to pick up IIT and Vic Strikes. Slack, I'll pick up RS, makes sense. My gear is not the greatest either, working on a set of Tempered Saronite, so any way I can get and maintain aggro with average gear the better.

Diablo, I kept Dirge because I had trouble building up enough RP quickly enough to be able to use Unholy BLight. Had enough trouble keeping aggro with it, although that did ease a bit when I got a couple of seconds to get it in the first place. Not sure if my rotation was off or what; but maybe switching some of these specs will help.

I like tanking, still a rookie but I am having a good time. will take any advice I can get.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Well im using this spec which is really nice since i gain 6% more stam and str
    im at t7ish gear level dunno how it would be at t8, but the upside of this spec is that the amount of spell damage you take is alot lower when compared to other tanks.

+ Reply to Thread