+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WTB Paladin/War 2v2 guide :(

WTB Paladin/War 2v2 guide :(

Has any1 seen one around relative to this season. Checked out arena junkies multiple times, nothing just yet

Seems that my warrior gets eaten up by every team that doesnt have a warlock.

you should check out Why so furious? commentary on warcraftmovies. That guy runs pally war at around 2500 on BG9 and explains his strats against popular, high rated teams.

Hope this helps out
    Sup?

I'll try to post one if i have time this week, I've been running holy pal/fury war 2v2s and we're not doing great, but we know what to do/not do

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Sweet

Basically, Im playing with a RL warrior mate and we've arenaing since s3 (I was a druid back then), we've always been around the 1900 -2.1k back then.

But now, since I've rerolled paladin for pve needs, and currently running pal/war, we get steamrolled by majority of teams, we cant seem to break outa 1900s.

Sometimes I want to punch a hunter/mage/rogue irl in the face

you should check out Why so furious? commentary on warcraftmovies.
    I've tried searching for this and coming up short

edit: found it. For anyone else looking, it's Dahis 6: 2400+ BG9 Warrior PvP By Dahis

Hrm, well incase I don't get an indepth guide (not looking likely) going, can I ask you a few questions and possibly help you out?

First off, as the paladin I'm sure you're wearing a good mix of pve and pvp gear. Obviously if you find yourself dying too rapidly, you need to swap out more pve gear and more pvp. Sadly this means the same to your warrior. I was in the original mindset that burst burst burst! was more important but it's not, if you can't survive long enough for your paladin to heal you back up, you're doing yourself a disservice. Paladins currently have excellent longevity in arenas, so running war/pal is in a lot of ways the old war/dru mentality. just out last the other healer, and profit. The double dps teams can be hard, extremely hard at times. Especially if they gib your warrior. Your warrior needs to be in the range of 24khp, 700 resil in order to survive the relative burst that most double dps teams can put out (that's with commanding shout). He also needs to be extremely defensive. If you can detect that it's a double dps team. have him put on his shield immediately and go into battle or defensive stance. The key is to survive the burst, then pick up the pieces later. The great thing about titan's grip is you can still keep your 2hander equipped in your main hand, so you're overall dps for the warrior is lower but not so much that you can't still kill things. Rogues are tankable by most paladins, just ask the warrior to intervene you to absorb a hit or two and be ready to bubble if things look scary.

Hunters are seriously tough, BM hunters used to be easier to beat because you'd need to just trick him into blowing his CDs then pillar kite him and his pet while the two of you run like little girls then clean up. Current day survival hunters are essentially on a 30sec CD burst. So they can be tough, but again, circle kite a lot, kill pets if you can to lower their damage, and never be afraid to abandon ship and just run. This can be EXTREMELY hard for the warrior because he'll be like, ZOMG EXECUTE RANGE GOOOOOO dead. he has to realize that the two of you surviving is above ALL else, even killing the enemy outright the highest priority. So he should have a macro to put on his shield, go into defensive stance, and intervene to you. Also make sure you guys communicate a lot on vent. Don't get too crazy like "ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG DIE YOU MOFO" but it can help a lot to just call out stuff in a stream of conscious manner. War: "can't get in range, spamming ham string, ice blocked, slowed, need help. Vene'ing, heal heal heal HEAL". And you shoudl be doing the same "big heals incoming don't move, You're LOS me, QUICK HELP" etc etc.

Mage's are obviously very dangerous, but they are easier to deal with, with a good spell reflect you can make life miserable for them, and turning and running when they blow CDs (very easy to spot, you see an elemental, run, you see 3 images? run) This is where you save your defensive CDs. Don't trinket out of the sheep unless you KNOW he's bursting someone down fast. If he just cc's you and both of you are safe, screw it, save the Trinket CD for when he's got one of you frost nova'd, and silenced and he's got his images/elemental out. THATS when you trinket, tuck tail, and run. When his images go away or you kill them (one good whirlwind crit will actually kill them quickly) then just walk up to his face and punch him to death.

Healer/dps combos will essentially be a cc/outlast race. Priests are surprisingly dangerous against you. You'll think, ZOMG SQUISHY and think you can just gib the priest, but any good disc priest will rage starve your warrior then when he gets in a jam, fear the two of you away, or put up his pain supression and tank the warrior while he kills himself to reflective shield. The danger of mass dispel is also huge so they have a counter comp to you in many ways. The best thing you can do is actually change targets a lot. make him actually heal so he wastes mana. If he throws a shield up on himself, change to his DPS, and make him heal. if he throws a shield up on the DPS, change back to him. And have your warrior be very liberal with sunder armors. Until 3.1 hits and changes how effective sunder armor is (will be better against plate/mail worse against leather/cloth i think, will need to do the math) you'll want to just work your sunders into the rotation while you build up rage, and then unload on them when you get the chance. Normally I'll sunder up a burst target AND his dps by switching a lot. once they are at 4-5 sunders each, and I get enough rage to put out some deeps (>55) I'll let my paladin know. I'll pick whoever looks easier at the time to kill (lower health, less defensive cc's, or split away from each other, etc) and call it out to the paladin. once i start putting the burst on, I'll have to make sure I can interrupt/stun everything I can to make sure they die, blow cd's, macro all of your AP abilities/trinkets/deathwish into 1 button, hit it, and blow recklessness. Unload on the kid and if you see a heal or something coming up, holler on vent for the paladin to help. a well timed stun or repetence will normally finish the job, not to mention a good helping of burst from you will be great too.

Hope this helps for now. I'm still stuck in the 1700-1800s mostly because my weapons suck and my paladin and I aren't always on vent together, but that's the same basic rules as before when running war/healer. Outlast, Outwit, Outplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    Especially if they gib your warrior. Your warrior needs to be in the range of 24khp, 700 resil in order to survive the relative burst that most double dps teams can put out
    This is a big thing for warriors used to previous arena seasons. No one is afraid of feeding a warrior rage anymore, and not many people run with enrage (which doesn't scare them either)

A warrior is going to get trained a fair amount as they try to set up CC / silence chains on your pally when his CD's are down. Not to mention, forcing you to turtle up and play defensive, which frees up their healer to play even more aggressively.

If you watch the video by Dahis that was linked you'll see he shares the general concensus that survival is the most important thing, and that just resetting a match is no big deal since you'll win in the long run. Aggresive healers if they don't get the kill is wasted mana. It's a great way to beat teams that are in a rush to win. Play defensive till you see an opportunity, then go for the kill. Sunder, Sunder, Sunder, Sunder, Sunder.

Sunder, Sunder, Sunder, Sunder, Sunder.
    Totally. You'll be surprised how frequently this gets overlooked. If I'm ever against a warrior in PvP, I can tell if he's good or if he's bad by how many sunders he has up on me or my teammates. You can also tell who the burst target will be or when the burst is coming if they start stacking them.

Now I just need to find a pally who will run 2v2 with me and knows what he's doing. Even with 2xBoH, pallies still skip me over for a crappier DK

i run with a crappy claymore and axe from HOL, you and your two BoH's... I hate you.

our main fury warrior just got his 2nd BoH, with 3.1 coming soon hopefully we have better luck with the latest/greatest dps 2handers dropping!

Depending on the team the following usually happens

Paladin/Hunter - I'll HoF my warrior in through a frost trap, repent paladin, get aggressive on the hunter with my war to burst him down, Hunter gains freedom, scatter shot war, wyvern me, freezing trap me, disengage and deterrence war.
    This happens every 45 seconds - 1 minute… Eventually after I blow bubble to save my warrior, I often get behind on heals due to retarded damage the hunter is putting out, I'll get repented, wyverned, hammered, scattered whilst the hunter and paladin blows everything on the warrior and even with shield wall he dies…

Shaman/Hunter - Same as Paladin Hunter, cept the Shaman will Earth shield the hunter and it'll suffice. Healing that intensive that I don’t have the time to kill grounding and it usually will absorb my repent or hammer when I need it most, not to mention the shaman is camping me waiting to earth shock and hex since the hunter takes no damage. However if we switch to the shaman, he gets infinite mana with water shield and the hunter freely blows everyone up.

Priest/Rogue - My warrior gets on the priest asap whilst I ss him so I get in combat to avoid the sap, he is however rage starved for a good 30 seconds whilst the priest freely dispels all of our buffs. Rogue eventually opens up on my war, war chucks and shield on and plays 90% of the fight with it on since the rogues damage is ridiculous with wound on, if I sit there and dispel I oom very quickly, not to mention the priest just pws the rogue and mana burns/fears me which puts me further back on heals. Eventually Iam completely oom and my warrior dies. If my warrior gets on the priest, the rogue stun rotates him so the priest can get away, HoF gets dispelled immediately. If the rogue is stupid enough to get on me, we win.

Mage/Rogue - Complete counter, I never expect us to win this 2k+.

Warlock/ Healer - I solo pet twice, we win

Paladin/Feral - Feral practically heals himself and has insane damage, will lock the war down and freely and go bear when he feels the war is about to burst. I go oom before their healer.

Healer/DK - DK rng's one of down with ridiculous unhealable crits, couple with a strangulate. If my war gets on their healer, the DK will DG him back and Chains him, if he stays on the dk, the dk has constant defensive cd's to let his healer drink to full whilst my war is struggling to stay alive. If DK goes for me its not so bad, but eventually he gets a flurry of crits and rngs me down in 2 seconds.

Healer/DK - DK rng's one of down with ridiculous unhealable crits, couple with a strangulate. If my war gets on their healer, the DK will DG him back and Chains him, if he stays on the dk, the dk has constant defensive cd's to let his healer drink to full whilst my war is struggling to stay alive. If DK goes for me its not so bad, but eventually he gets a flurry of crits and rngs me down in 2 seconds.
    Did you watch that video we linked? They address a lot of these fights (granted, from warrior PoV). It's all about surviving their cooldowns, resetting the fight if needed (so long as they blew a cooldown and you didn't, it's not really a "reset").

The big thing that I picked up from that video that I'm going to pass along to my partner is to be mindful of your position. Just about 100% of the time you're going to be ignored (largely) while the warrior is targetted. Position yourself so you can hop in and out of LOS as needed, make your partner use his shield liberally (against hunters, always go defensive+shield every time the hunter gets away from him, against mage use spell reflects), be in range for an intervene if things get hairy or you start getting trained.

The minute a major cooldown is used, run away/pillar hump. Vs Mage/Rogue, run away the minute you see an elemental or 3 mages casting (unless you can get a well-timed whirlwind on them), and have the war keep rend on the rogue to keep him from getting out of combat.

Vs DK/Healer, shield on the DK and make them blow their cooldowns (turn pet/gargoyle, kill pet, don't forget you can intervene to get out of their bursts).

Vs hunters, stick on the hunter and shield any time he's able to shoot you.

Vs anything with priests, sunder sunder sunder sunder sunder <tab> sunder sunder sunder sunder sunder, wait for the shield to go down and burst something.

+ Reply to Thread