+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tanking macro - Can anyone help please

Tanking macro - Can anyone help please

Heya guys, been looking around these forums for a while, just got into tanking, i have a feral druid.

I have tried to set up 2 macros, one for single target tanking and one for aoe tanking could someone point out what's incorrect please, its probably something incredibly obvious

Aoe;

/cast Berserk
    /cast Mangle - Bear
    /cast Swipe
    /cast Maul

This in thoery where i spam it, should activate beserk if it's off CD, cast mangle if it's off Cd then spam swipe and maul if the other 2 were on CD. But maul should continuously be used anyway.

However it's not using swipe.

Single target;

/cast Mangle - Bear
    /cast Lacerate
    /cast Maul

In theory this should spam maul continuously, and hit mangle when off cd, when it's on cd it SHOULD cast lacerate, but it doesn't.

Could someone please explain if what im trying to do is possible and if it is, what i'm doing wrong?

Also guys, while im in this thread, how am i meant to aoe tank, mobs which randomly go off and hit healers/dps after initial pull, specifically talking about trash at the start of Azjol'Nerub.

Cheers

Sandy
    Last edited by Sandy; 04-04-2009 at 12:12 PM.

that kind of fallthrough logic has not working since BC beta

You have the general idea on what you need for AoE/Single target tanking.

I would recommend a different setup though, maybe a slight different rotation.

I have 3 general macros for tanking, and depending on the encounter I use appropiate macro to it.

I can start by listing the different macros, then I will explain how they work, and some examples on how they work out on different packs/single mob/s.

Single Target Macro :

/startattack
    /cast Maul
    /castsequence reset=3/target Mangle - Bear, Lacerate, Lacerate

Now, what this macro does first is to have me to start my attack on the mob after I pressed the keybind with the macro.
    To if/when I have rage, I will cast Maul.

Since your skill Maul depends on your weapon speed, and not the GCD(Global Cool Down) It will either cast Maul the instant I engage the mob (that is if I have +10 rage ).

The third and last line of the macro is a cast sequence that I use on a single mob. What it does is to cast 3 skills in a press of a button, the first skill on the sequence will be casted first, and so on. When it comes to the last skill on the sequence it will reset, and start over. Also, it will reset if I have not pressed the button for more then 3 or if I change the target.

Mind you that Maul will always be activated when ever it is up or I have enough rage. This macro is a "dubble edged sword" if you rely to much on it and make it work with your other skills to get the full advantage from it.
    First of, it is not _the_ single target macro.

But more something that will make it allot easier when you have other things to keep track on (Heigan for example). It will NOT give you best TPS , It is NOT a AoE macro, nor a "use when Berserking macro". It's a very comfortable macro for when you are comfortable with your raid/party or the encounter you are on, or dont have any threat issues.

I usually use it on 5-man bosses, some naxx bosses that I find comfortable and know my raid. (meaning that I usually know the person that usually does most TPS/trying to just give me a hard time/does not have a way to lose threat).

AoE Target Macro:

/startattack
    /cast Maul
    /cast Swipe

Now, this is very much self explanatory.

The first text tells the macro to start my attack on the target, the second on is to cast maul. As explained above it works with the swing timer while swipe is on the normal GCD.

This is not a Single target macro, but I works very good if you are using it with a single target rotation/macro. But then again, if you are not using macros you already have a more flexible rotation (also much better if used correctly).
    Just as the first macro, this one has a downside.

If you pull a pack with allot of mobs, and for some reason some of the mobs break from you (It can be all from healing aggro just as you pull, that special friend we all have that really really enjoys to start AoE DPS just to get on top of all the charts). Then it can be hard at the start to round up the mobs, since you will innitially cast maul.
    if you have Maul Glyphed it will still only hit 2 targets, and leave the rest to the party.
    One good thing to use it when grouping with people you dont know that good and want to play it safe. You can powershift, get that extra 10 rage from the Talent "Furor", then use enrage for that extra 20 rage.

That leaves you with 30 rage when you are going to pull (Not waiting that extra 10s to have the enrage debuff to wear off is just a waste and not very thoughtfull for your healer).
    Then you will have enough rage for a Maul+Swipe right at the start, and should be enough to get the aggro on all mobs, and you will proably have enough rage by now to keep it up.

I use it on all trash packs there is, be it raiding or heroics or AoE grinding. Nothing beats it really. It's my most used macro so far.

AoE/Single Target Macro:

/startattack
    /cast Maul
    /cast Mangle - Bear

Now, by now we can more or less see what this macro does.
    It start to attack the target you have highlighted. Casts Maul then Mangle (Or if you have enough rage it will cast them at the same time).

Note that Mangle has 4.5s CD timer. So if you just spam that macro, you will have a bad threat. but using it at the right time and mixing it will other skills. It can be a great threat boost/bear DPS

On AoE packs you can use this macro with your Berserk ability. And just seeing all mobs wanting to kill you.
    Very nice to use to build up that fast aggro on some bosses after you have applied 5xLacerate on your target.
    I can't really see any downside to this macro, since I dont use it or rely that much on when Im tanking.

I might have not explained these three macros to the fullest, so feel free to ask if you wonder anything.

I would also suggest that you dont have your Berserk ability with any of your normal used attacks. You never know when you need to use it, and have it on a separate keybind.

Also as I wrote above, these macros gets their shine if they are used together, and not just 1 macro for one type of battle.

But I wont go into that and explain it here.

Hope it helped out (I hope it did! I took my time to write this! )

Heya,

and WOW!

Thanks a bunch for that incredibly detailed and well formated answer; so for my macros, i'm going to just go for nice and simple ones so i can easily decide between my abilites, so the macros not forcing me into a certain one;

I'll just use the following three abilites mainly;

AoE Target Macro:

/startattack
    /cast Maul
    /cast Swipe

AoE/Single Target Macro:

/startattack
    /cast Maul
    /cast Mangle - Bear

And lacerate

/startattack
    /cast Lacerate

I plan to mainly use use each of the abilites when appropriate, however i will use lacerate more if i'm running low on rage, as i've read most of our rage comes from our auto-attack which maul takes over. Think this is a good setup, as theoretically it doesn't dry me out of rage and it also gives me free mauls without the need to keep clicking it?

p.s. is there a Swipe macro icon, i cant find it

Cheers Sandy!

+ Reply to Thread