+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Trees and DK tanks...my worst nightmare?

Well looks like your dk tanks spec had a lot to do with your issues. On dk's i have a helpful comparison is to treat them like a druid tank. Druid 3 times out of 4 gets hit for virtually nothing or avoids it then that one hit comes in and you better have a heal ready. Dk's are avoidance more like druids and just require a bit different style of healing as they take more spiky damage as compared to the pally and warrior who have block.

*Edit
    Your DK NEEDS to get def cap without sigil or you will get a lot of random crits

Quote Originally Posted by Brokenhalo View Post
    *Edit
    Your DK NEEDS to get def cap without sigil or you will get a lot of random crits
    This isn't really true. For a while, I used this sigil to be DEF capped and it was never an issue. Any DK tank should be using icy touch on the pull and more often than every 30 seconds anyway. Despite what the tooltip says, the sigil procs on 100% of icy touches, so you should always have the buff up.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndNin View Post
    No you seem confused, hit in the back is fine for prot pally, in fact its pretty fun especially for keeping mana up.

dodge = 2% mana (5.5k ish in heroic = 110 mana)
    Hit in back = 2000 damage = 200 mana regened from SA
    BoS give mana back on every dodge, parry, and block, which is every incoming attack. You shouldn't be specced 2/2 in SA anyway. 5% + 100% DP uptime is all the mana you will every need. If you want more mana back from SA, pull more mobs. Getting hit in the back is never a good idea. The other thing you're missing is that holy shield is a significant part of a paladin's aoe threat, and you're losing that by letting mobs hit you in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndNin View Post
    Heroic UP trash hits harder than the bosses, especially the packs with dogs (they enrage equivalent, and hit hard), and are hard to heal. Hit the doggies first, and the undead themselves are normally not an issue (none of them stun).
    The dogs don't enrage, the undead hunter accompanying them puts a hunter's mark on you. Cleanse the mark, burn the hunter, the dogs are wimps.

You guys already went through a lot of details but there are two things I noticed about the OP that didn't seem to get mentioned.

"So last night we decided to do a timed CoS HC, he brought his DK and we died a lot. Despite every trick i have learnt the tank kept dying and i was pulling aggro with my heals - i NEVER pull aggro, especially not the skull!"

The healer has little or nothing to do with this. A healer cannot choose to avoid healing a tank who is getting hammered; it is the job of the tank to hold the mobs on a multi-mob pull. The tank was failing or the CC was failing but it it wasn't the healer failing unless they were using Moonfires/Hurricanes on off target mobs before they reached the tank.

"So i looked at my healing figures....in the first half on the DK my over healing was an astonishing 96.5 %....in other words i was healing him for loads but it was landing at the wrong time, hence my pulling aggro too."

Healing done above a player's maximum hit point total generates no threat.

to be honest i feel that not many people actually know how to play a DK properly yet. when you find someone who does they can be amazing, we started our community with 2 tanks, a DK and a warrior. our healers were myself and a shaman. once the DK had his gear to a reasonable level things went into walkover mode. the guy just didnt get hit! and he figured out what seems to trouble most DK tanks ive met. threat per second. you could hold a knife to the throat of the mobs children and theyd keep their attention on the DK. (something the warrior got a little miffed over at times) but as for actually healing him when i had to, i found it best to either just keep lb's up for something to do almost and wander off for coffee or keep an eye on everyone else and then chuck something bigger at him if he actually took damage. the DK's ive come accross since then always seem to have problems with tps, but theyre healable.

TBH, I have no idea why DK tanks have trouble keeping aggro. I have tried every tree for tanking pre and post 3.1, and I have rarely had a minimum tps of less than 3.5/4k. It's all about knowing your rotation and sticking to it. I find a lot of DK tanks I'd run with on my alts just kind of use their Runes when they see them up. Overall, its a more complex rotation than some of the other tanks because you essentially have 3 things to worry about: Runic Power, Runes (including Death Rune usage), and CDs. And yes, the fact that its the "hero" class makes a lot of bad bad players try it out. The skilled players out there make this class shine o.O

+ Reply to Thread