+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where to go from here? Dodge/Parry/Other?

Where to go from here? Dodge/Parry/Other?

Wow Armory

So over the last few weeks I've had a great run of obtaining gear and have probably promoted myself easily to MTing 10man Naxx and probably could for most all of 25man Nax. My question really regard do I go for dodge/parry/hp/threat/etc in my gearing as well as my gemming? Any advice on next gear upgrades etc are certainly welcome.

Thanks

Random notes in no particular order:

9 Expertise is going to put a serious, serious damper on your Threat. I consider 15 a "minimum" and I'm sure you know 26 is necessary to remove Dodges. Look for more Expertise, even if that means gemming for it.

Use the 32 Stamina/2% Armor meta gem. It's an all-around superior tank gem. Do what you must to make up for the lost Defense (your shield and chest enchants can easily be swapped to compensate).

Stop gemming for Parry. 8 Parry/12 Stamina gems should be replaced with 8 Expertise/12 Stamina, 16 Expertise or 24 Stamina depending on socket color, bonus and meta gem needs. Your belt, for instance - I would go 16 Defense/24 Stamina not your strange mix of Dodge, Parry and Defense.

No offense, but Alchemy/Herbalism? If you're really serious about tanking, you need at least ONE of Blacksmithing, Mining or Jewelcrafting. Preferably a combination of these: Blacksmithing/Mining or Blacksmithing/Jewelcrafting is what I would reccommend personally. Expensive, I know - but important if you really want to excel.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerchunk View Post
    Random notes in no particular order:

9 Expertise is going to put a serious, serious damper on your Threat. I consider 15 a "minimum" and I'm sure you know 26 is necessary to remove Dodges. Look for more Expertise, even if that means gemming for it.

Use the 32 Stamina/2% Armor meta gem. It's an all-around superior tank gem. Do what you must to make up for the lost Defense (your shield and chest enchants can easily be swapped to compensate).

Stop gemming for Parry. 8 Parry/12 Stamina gems should be replaced with 8 Expertise/12 Stamina, 16 Expertise or 24 Stamina depending on socket color, bonus and meta gem needs. Your belt, for instance - I would go 16 Defense/24 Stamina not your strange mix of Dodge, Parry and Defense.

No offense, but Alchemy/Herbalism? If you're really serious about tanking, you need at least ONE of Blacksmithing, Mining or Jewelcrafting. Preferably a combination of these: Blacksmithing/Mining or Blacksmithing/Jewelcrafting is what I would reccommend personally. Expensive, I know - but important if you really want to excel.
    Thanks for the basic help, would certainly like to here more opinions. So very little need to gem for avoidance at all? Seems like I should at least have some dodge gems or no? Also the biggest problem with Alech/Herb is the fact that right now I think I have 600g to my name and not even an Epic Flier so money is hard to come by. I'll certainly look into switching the Meta gems it just kinda worked out when regemming with a couple loots that the other meta wasn't available in AH so I just went with the other.

Made some changes, let me know what you think. Considering the trek to BS/Mining/JC.

JC will give you 3 amazing Stam gems, or maybe threat if you have more than one set (recommended). Not sure why you wouldn't already have BS. Since Wrath was announced to allow BS to have additional slots, it's been a near obvious (don't flame, I said near obvious) choice for tanks.

In my experience, I gem towards threat usually, and let my gear take care of avoidance. This is going to change as my off-set gear is getting stronger, so my avoidance set will have dodge gems in it. Hopefully you're working on your Hodir rep so that you can get their shoulder enchants, the dodge/def from that will help a bit. As for your chest piece/shield, I would recommend getting Defenes enchants so that you can focus on getting new trinkets and getting rid of the Seal. It's a great start point, but there are much better ways to get Def capped.

You're overall on the right track, and just seems like you need a few more drops to happen and just need to read up on TS and EJ about how each set should be composed. If knowing what gear is good for what I would check out this post here on TS. I would however, find some posts on good tanking specs. Yours kind of confuses me as to why you wouldn't take Imp. TC, but would take Imp. Rend and Charge.

And maybe your servers economy blows, I know on mine herbing can bring in loads of money. With my warrior being BS/JC I have to use alts as my money mules, but once you get to a certain point in your gear, the need for pricey enchants decreases. However with Ulduar coming up, I would definitely start saving up.
    "The quickest way of ending a war is to lose it."
    -George Orwell

Ideal for a prot warrior seems to be BS/JC but since most people are too poor for that next choice would be Mining/BS. The extra slots are HUGE in both threat and or health, let the clothies run around and pickup flowers YOU ARE A TANK!! :P

Your shoulder enchant needs to be changed. Work on your rep with the Sons of Hodir to be able to get Greater Inscription of the Pinnacle - Item - World of Warcraft but at the very least you should have Lesser Inscription of the Pinnacle - Item - World of Warcraft or Greater Inscription of the Knight - Item - World of Warcraft or Greater Inscription of Warding - Item - World of Warcraft

You have some issues with gemming choices still:
    Gemming defense = bad choice and you have 1 in your helm and 2 in your belt
    Gemming parry is even worse - switch that parry/stam for expertise/stam in your ring

When you lack defense it is really worthwhile to throw the defense enchant on your shield as it serves you much better and allows you to improve your gemming choices. Also I know it is a luck thing but that Seal of the Pantheon should be replaced by Repelling Charge ASAP

Eventually with gear you won't even need/want to equip the Repelling Charge, only for fights where you need extra avoidance.
    "The quickest way of ending a war is to lose it."
    -George Orwell

+ Reply to Thread