+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need advice on keeping threat

Need advice on keeping threat

Hi All, first time poster...

I've been playing WOW for just over 4 months, recently hit 80, and have been tanking for about 4 weeks now. Am an Orc Warrior.

My question is related to keeping threat from mobs with 4 or more NPCs. One example of this is the room in HOS where guys just keep coming.

My usual strat for attacking a mob is to charge in (or taunt), thunderclap, shockwave, demoralizing shout, and then a combo of shield bash, devastate etc, tabbing through each NPC. This works well, and I generally keep 100% threat, bar the odd NPC that runs off to the healer, which I then get back with a taunt or weapon throw.

The problem I have is when there are multiple adds, and how to keep all the threat on myself from them as they join the fight. I use Commanding Shout when available to get the attention of all those in range, but when NPCs are running around all over the place attacking all players, what is the best strat for rounding them back up and getting threat back on me... particularly with that HOS fight I mentioned above.

Another good example is the harpoon room in UP where waves keep coming out.

Tips and advice appreciated.

Thunder clap, shockwave and if it gets really outta hand challenging shout. Cleave also helps if you have it glyphed to hit the extra target and can be substituted for heroic strike if your using the revenge glyph to give you freebies.

Even with TC and CS I still have trouble keeping them on me. I guess I just need to get better gear to increase my threat.

the halls of stone event and anything where you have waves of mobs is all about timing for a warrior tank.

The first wave that comes in you want to TC and cleave. Save your shock wave. Once you start getting one group of melee from the left and a group of casters from the right you'll want to TC the first group and SW the second if TC isn't up. You can't just spam TC whenever it's up or you run the risk of having a wave come through on cooldown and that's when you lose agro and all hell breaks loose.

The shouts are pretty useless and eat a GCD I wouldn't bother with them.

A fast weapon here will really help, also being glyphed for cleave will make a big difference.

A mod like aloft with a built in threat meter can also really help. You'll be able to see what mobs you have agro on and what you don't without having to tab and watch omen.

My usual strat for attacking a mob is to charge in (or taunt)
    Don't start fights with taunt. Taunt is good for switching mobs between two tanks or for temporarily reacquiring a lost target due to aggro pull, but the bulk of the threat generated by taunt is temporary and will disappear when the affect wears off.

Thunderclap, shockwave, demoralizing shout, and then a combo of shield bash, devastate etc, tabbing through each NPC.
    Sounds like you've got the right idea. Don't forget to Cleave as well. Even without the glyph, it will help you hold aggro on targets other than the one you're currently targeting.

This works well, and I generally keep 100% threat, bar the odd NPC that runs off to the healer, which I then get back with a taunt or weapon throw.
    Don't forget Intervene. Shield Slam also works wonders for getting a stray's attention really quickly. Taunt isn't always your best bet when something is loose.

The problem I have is when there are multiple adds, and how to keep all the threat on myself from them as they join the fight. I use Commanding Shout when available to get the attention of all those in range, but when NPCs are running around all over the place attacking all players, what is the best strat for rounding them back up and getting threat back on me...
    If multiple players have aggro, it's their responsibility to bring the mobs back to you. If they run in opposite directions and spread the pull out, there's very little you can do and someone's probably going to die.

Remember, like taunt, Challenging Shout is temporary. When the affect dies, anything you didn't have aggro on before the shout is going to return to whatever it was killing unless you've built threat in other ways in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by Damonvile View Post
    the halls of stone event and anything where you have waves of mobs is all about timing for a warrior tank.

The first wave that comes in you want to TC and cleave. Save your shock wave. Once you start getting one group of melee from the left and a group of casters from the right you'll want to TC the first group and SW the second if TC isn't up. You can't just spam TC whenever it's up or you run the risk of having a wave come through on cooldown and that's when you lose agro and all hell breaks loose.

The shouts are pretty useless and eat a GCD I wouldn't bother with them.

A fast weapon here will really help, also being glyphed for cleave will make a big difference.

A mod like aloft with a built in threat meter can also really help. You'll be able to see what mobs you have agro on and what you don't without having to tab and watch omen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerchunk
    Don't start fights with taunt. Taunt is good for switching mobs between two tanks or for temporarily reacquiring a lost target due to aggro pull, but the bulk of the threat generated by taunt is temporary and will disappear when the affect wears off.

Thunderclap, shockwave, demoralizing shout, and then a combo of shield bash, devastate etc, tabbing through each NPC.

Sounds like you've got the right idea. Don't forget to Cleave as well. Even without the glyph, it will help you hold aggro on targets other than the one you're currently targeting.

This works well, and I generally keep 100% threat, bar the odd NPC that runs off to the healer, which I then get back with a taunt or weapon throw.

Don't forget Intervene. Shield Slam also works wonders for getting a stray's attention really quickly. Taunt isn't always your best bet when something is loose.

The problem I have is when there are multiple adds, and how to keep all the threat on myself from them as they join the fight. I use Commanding Shout when available to get the attention of all those in range, but when NPCs are running around all over the place attacking all players, what is the best strat for rounding them back up and getting threat back on me...

If multiple players have aggro, it's their responsibility to bring the mobs back to you. If they run in opposite directions and spread the pull out, there's very little you can do and someone's probably going to die.

Remember, like taunt, Challenging Shout is temporary. When the affect dies, anything you didn't have aggro on before the shout is going to return to whatever it was killing unless you've built threat in other ways in the meantime.
    Both are right on the money with their advice, admittadly i'm rusty on Warrior tanking some as my Dk is my main now but i've ot'd that fight enoguh times with different types of tanks to understand the mechanics.

cleave is possibly your bigest tool, besides TC and SW, especially if you have the freebie heroic strikes from the revenge glyph. but just my 2 cents

Thanks for the good advice people.

I actually disagree with not taunting right off the bat. I tend to run with dps that likes to go totally nuts. Since this is the case they tend to cast random high damage spells before i even get to the mob. I taunt everytime in order to not let them pull right off the bat even though it generates no threat by itself the mob will continue to focus on you untill after the taunt cooldown has diminished from the mob.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerchunk View Post
    The threat from taunt is not temporary, and does not disappear.

Technically taunt itself does not cause threat certainly not when you are the top on threat as would be the case if you are pulling with it, so in the case of using it as an opening ability you are in effect using it as mocking blow effect(just without the melee range requirement)

Back on topic, generally with aoe threat I use my standard rotation except using thunderclap and shockwave on every cd they are free before the others in my rotation. The shield slams / revenges / Conc blows / Devastates are applied to targets that are lower on threat. Cycling through to maintain aggro on them all.
    That or just autoattack as the paladin tanks them all for you.

Another thing to realize if u are a charge happy warrior is that you can cast abilities while charging and by the time you are there the gc is usually about up. I usually use charge followed by a Heroic Throw just to gain initial aggro and then settle into the regular rotation. I know what all of you are gonna say that charge is bad but I like keeping my healers on they're toes and I tend to chain pull anyway so Charge keeps me very mobile.

Charge... bad?

nup.

I'll second what one above me said. Timing, timing, timing. As a warrior you have burst aoe threat. make sure you have rage AND "cooldown enough" to do a tc or shockwave when the mob train comes rolling in.

The aloft add on is a life saver - I love it for this kinds of stuff.

I've been playing around with the Cleave Glyph for Naxx 25 trash for a while now and have been really unimpressed by the results.

Even with reduced avoidance and a hit/exp set I tend to all too quickly suffer from rage starvation keeping up TC with a SW -> Shield Slam -> Revenge -> HS (free) -> Cleave with available rage rotation.

I tried dropping Shield Slam from that and it didn't help enough to prevent the inevitable taunt and revert back to single target threat building practices of norm.

From my experience, Cleave's threat per rage consumed was simply too low to keep up with AoE DPS threat. Vigilance on a Warlock helped a bit, but over all it wasn't what I considered a sound AoE tanking 'solution'. Yes, it helps, but not enough to overcome the big picture.

Cleave works best, if you have an inexperienced prot pally in the raid, since BoS will provide a huge amount of rage. However, if the paladin is somewhat good, he will tank

+ Reply to Thread