+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pally tank spec

pally tank spec

I have no problem in my eyes over my gear(1# geared tank on ghostland acorrding to warcrafter) but i can't find any other pally tanks to compare my spec with so i was hoping to find som help. i am 0/57/14 The World of Warcraft Armory i would love any opinons u all have about me gear or spec. thx

The consecrate libram is great for one thing, getting the Epic achievement. Consecrate scales so poorly with spell power that the libram is a complete waste. Test it yourself, take off the libram, consecrate on a mob, watch the ticks, and then try it again with the libram equipped.

I have it, but the only time I equip it is to log out in a high iLVL set so I look good on Warcrafter (blame my GM).

The libram of obstruction is the only tanking libram at the moment, use that and only that.

Never gem for parry. Yellow sockets should get +def+stam gems if you're looking to match the bonus.

With the glyph of Seal of Vengeance/Curruption you're well over the expertice soft cap. At the moment, there aren't any better tanking glyphs to swap in, so I'd change your Sabatons of Endurance for the emblems of valor boots to shed some expertice and gain some avoidance.

On your spec:
    Benediction is a waste of talent points. If you have mana issues, pull more trash. I know you need points to get into Pursuit of Justice, but I'd rather put Tuskarr's Vitality on my boots for an increase in speed, and spend the talent points elsewhere.

I use this spec:
    Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

It leaves two points to put where you like, I usually throw them in improved hammer of justice.

I would agree with most of that Akebar said (don't use that libram) but would add a few things.

Rune of Repulsion is actually subpar for Pally tanks in my opinion. Parry is impacted by diminishing returns a lot more than other stats and therefore the emblem dodge trinket is actually a better trinket than Rune of Repulsion for tanking in a one to one comparison. If you have more trinkets, I would probably just swap things in and out and see what gives you the best avoidance and block total. It is possible that Rune is the best based on the higher rate of diminishing returns at your level of dodge but most paladin tank guides rank that trinket lower for paladins.

It's a strange thing but some tank gear with a higher level is actually inferior to gear with a lower level. Some of it will be buffed in 3.1 (like Fleshless Girdle) but it is odd that Blizzard would design things so poorly. I tend to use the addon Tankpoints to evaluate gear. It gives you a breakout of "Tankpoints" and effective health value. Just keep in mind that the addon only takes into account active abilities and does not take into account set bonuses or "use" abilities.

I would also recommend Judgement of the Just for tanking. I would drop a point in Improved Judgments as it is a waste with the standard threat rotation. You could drop another point from either Seals of the Pure or Improved Hammer of Justice.

While your gear looks good (ilevel wise), some of it isn't, I would reccomend getting the Essence of Gossamer and the Valor Medal of the First War to replace your current ones, also as previously mentioned, that libram is worthless.

On spec I completely agree with Akebar with those last two points going into Divine Guardian if you are an off-tank or Reckoning if you are a main tank.

Reckoning

I have to disagree about Reckoning as a MT. When you are tanking bosses, you should be using Seal of Corruption/Vengeance and that is not impacted by Reckoning beyond white damage. White damage does not add a lot of threat and therefore points there are probably better placed elsewhere. I use Seals of the Pure but there is some debate as to how much threat that adds.
    Last edited by Yasmyna; 03-30-2009 at 08:38 PM.

tank question

hi

i like to know for reg instance 80 and heroic what hp should i got because whit a 21k some tell me i need more for reg instance

def is cap still at 515 and is the rotation for max threat i have 1 but i like to improve or compare

cobrasy

** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

One other thing I have not seen too many Pallies use and this baffles me as to why is this:

Glyph of Salvation ( Glyph of Salvation - Item - World of Warcraft )

Most use Divine Plea and Hammer of the Righteous, but if you do not need the Expertise (and T9 is full of expertise), using it as a mini-shield wall that's not affected by gimp-bubble or avenging wrath seems to be the most viable, especially for hard-modes in Ulduar or Trial of Crusader.

Any thoughts?

Currently our threat advantage allows smart usage of that, same for taunt fights like Gormok.

I used it for a while. Unfortunately ToC gear is very low on hit rating so I was finding that I was missing taunts at bad times. I swapped it for the RD/HoR glyphs for less misses. I could have dropped the SoV glyph as I'm swimming in expertice lately, but some recent theorycrafting is suggesting that expertice is much better for prot pallies than before. ATM I'm running RD/DP/and SoV glyphs.

+ Reply to Thread